Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:01 PM

680 posts, read 534,542 times

Advertisements

I'm 32 and have lifted weights regularly since I was 14. My joints aren't responding well to weights anymore. My back aches, sometimes my shoulders, other joints. I'm 6'3" 230lbs and have a very physical job. Feels like I'm at a crossroads. Do I look for another job and quit lifting weights? I've been taking turmeric and stretching, it helped at first. Ibuprofen helps, but I can't take it everyday obviously. I suspect I have a herniated/bulging disc. There's days and weeks where I don't notice any symptoms at all and other days after I've been more active that I pay for it with aching/stiffness. I really don't want this to be the new normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 09:12 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Go see a doctor first.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:09 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I'm 32 and have lifted weights regularly since I was 14. My joints aren't responding well to weights anymore. My back aches, sometimes my shoulders, other joints. I'm 6'3" 230lbs and have a very physical job. Feels like I'm at a crossroads. Do I look for another job and quit lifting weights? I've been taking turmeric and stretching, it helped at first. Ibuprofen helps, but I can't take it everyday obviously. I suspect I have a herniated/bulging disc. There's days and weeks where I don't notice any symptoms at all and other days after I've been more active that I pay for it with aching/stiffness. I really don't want this to be the new normal.
Sounds like something's got to give - you've lifted since 14, have a very physical job now AND still lifting? You probably have multiple injuries going on. See a doc, pronto and ease off! You could end up crippling yourself for life. Believe me, I know plenty who have...

Old 09-16-2018, 08:57 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
I'd see a physical therapist before an MD. Doctor won't know what to do other than give you some drugs. The big concern is your back health. Extensive stretching regimen, core toning and dropping a few pounds would probably help.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:12 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I'd see a physical therapist before an MD. Doctor won't know what to do other than give you some drugs. The big concern is your back health. Extensive stretching regimen, core toning and dropping a few pounds would probably help.
A doctor needs to diagnose first and then the OP can act on that. There may be x-rays involved. A PT cannot diagnose and could cause more harm.
I have been to an orthopedist twice for different problems, rotator cuff and hip. I got a shot cortisone and a referral to go to a PT. No drugs were offered to me.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I would see either a regular doc or a sports medicine doctor. You're too young to be having these issues.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:42 AM

29,743 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Do you do any other form of exercise--running, swimming, even yoga?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:58 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Sounds like OP has done a lot of destruction with those heavy weights since 14. Time to make some BIG changes and hope it's not too late. Treat your body like it's the only one you will get, and guess what, it is.

A male friend talks about how much damage years of weight lifting did to his joints and has gone thru shoulder and knee replacements and the other knee is a mess..and he lives in a lot of pain even with the replacements.

Why why so much desire for these heavy weights?

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-16-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 12:46 PM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
I would highly recommend yoga. I do weight training as well but had to quit because of a joint injury. Yoga is the all-around strength training in my opinion and the more you practice the better your muscles get and therefore easier on the joints. I'd love to continue weight training but it's really risky. I might try getting back into it but will go to a therapist to show me less risky workouts. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:20 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
welcome to middle age! Not sure why you think you cannot take Ibuprofen daily; you can if you do not have any medical reasons not to. Maybe trade weight lifting for Pilates or Yoga??? Daily walking works too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness