Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:13 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times

Advertisements

So my issue started when I moved to Colorado and lost my buddies I go with. I can go up in weight, and still slowly climbing minus bench press due to not having a spotter (maybe a mental thing?)

any tips or plans to get to my ultimate goal, 3 plates of 45s on ea side for about 8 reps (315lbs). benching is my life long goal.

currently stuck at 2 x 45 plates and a 10 on ea side (245 lbs) stating the bar is at 45lbs.

been lifting for about 10 years (used to be super skinny) now weighing 230lbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 06:30 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Periodization. Go lighter one week at 50% of your max with up to 20 reps (3 to 4 sets). Continue to work your way up week after week until you get to where you need to be. If you don't get there, start the ladder over again. But don't get too caught up in somewhat trivial max (3 plates). Just listen to your body. Usually after a set or two I can tell if I "have it" that day or not. As I age they are less frequent, but usually after a big, high calorie meal the night before I have more energy/strength.

And always use a spotter on the bench. Don't be that guy who gets stuck and has to call out for help.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Periodization. Go lighter one week at 50% of your max with up to 20 reps (3 to 4 sets). Continue to work your way up week after week until you get to where you need to be. If you don't get there, start the ladder over again. But don't get too caught up in somewhat trivial max (3 plates). Just listen to your body. Usually after a set or two I can tell if I "have it" that day or not. As I age they are less frequent, but usually after a big, high calorie meal the night before I have more energy/strength.

And always use a spotter on the bench. Don't be that guy who gets stuck and has to call out for help.
thanks man! yeah i need to get a spotter soon.

so I should start at say

150lbs 20 reps 4 sets?

then next week, 160lbs 20 reps
then next week 170lbs 20 reps

or how should my numbers look?

Old 09-25-2018, 11:45 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
You've been lifting for 10 years and bench 245x8 at 230 lbs body weight? Sounds like you need to make some changes to your routine. I would do sets of 10 at around 65% of your max on your volume days and sets of 1-5 at 80-95% of your max on your strength training days. Add 5 or 10 lbs to your lifts when you feel up to it.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:28 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
thanks man! yeah i need to get a spotter soon.

so I should start at say

150lbs 20 reps 4 sets?

then next week, 160lbs 20 reps
then next week 170lbs 20 reps

or how should my numbers look?
No. As you add more weight you will be performing fewer reps. There are tons of good articles out there on periodization, Google a few to get the full routine.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You've been lifting for 10 years and bench 245x8 at 230 lbs body weight? Sounds like you need to make some changes to your routine. I would do sets of 10 at around 65% of your max on your volume days and sets of 1-5 at 80-95% of your max on your strength training days. Add 5 or 10 lbs to your lifts when you feel up to it.
ya i know....well the only thing I can not increase is benchpress. everything else I can. I think its a more mental and security as I dropped the barbell once on me a few years ago.

but trying to figure out a plan now

appreciate the responses. ill look for something out there I can follow.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:11 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Add more weight and decrease reps.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:43 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
ya i know....well the only thing I can not increase is benchpress. everything else I can. I think its a more mental and security as I dropped the barbell once on me a few years ago.

but trying to figure out a plan now

appreciate the responses. ill look for something out there I can follow.
In order to progress with the bench press you need a spotter. There's no way around it. I'm not very good at the bench press either, especially compared to my squat and deadlift. My max to date is 320 lbs at 200 lbs body weight. Lately, I've been using spotters a lot more to help get this number up.

I guess you also need to bench with some frequency. I probably only bench once every 10 days or so.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
So my issue started when I moved to Colorado and lost my buddies I go with. I can go up in weight, and still slowly climbing minus bench press due to not having a spotter (maybe a mental thing?)

any tips or plans to get to my ultimate goal, 3 plates of 45s on ea side for about 8 reps (315lbs). benching is my life long goal.

currently stuck at 2 x 45 plates and a 10 on ea side (245 lbs) stating the bar is at 45lbs.

been lifting for about 10 years (used to be super skinny) now weighing 230lbs
- Incline
- Decline
- Nosebreakers
- Dumbbell fly
- Dumbbell press

Find your max in these exercises and record your progress. Then re-test bench when all maxes have increased.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:52 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
In order to progress with the bench press you need a spotter. There's no way around it. I'm not very good at the bench press either, especially compared to my squat and deadlift. My max to date is 320 lbs at 200 lbs body weight. Lately, I've been using spotters a lot more to help get this number up.

I guess you also need to bench with some frequency. I probably only bench once every 10 days or so.
Well, no, that’s not true. There is an easy way around it. My bench press cage at home is a combined Smith machine and free weight bench / squat rack and there are safety bars on each side you can set. For me they work out perfectly as if I bring the bar down to my chest it’s not even a half inch above my chest but prevents the weight from falling on me in the event of failure. I have massively increased my bench press since having this since I don’t have a spotter and wouldn’t ever have a “workout time” or partner, I don’t work a day job, nor do I sleep at the same times daily, so I work out when it makes sense for me, no spotter needed but massive gains attained.

If you have the money and the space I highly recommend this route as it’s amazing! It fueled my gains. I am benching 270-275 at 177-180 pounds body weight. I’m 36 this year so I’m no spring chicken but it’s the best I’ve done. I do bench twice a week, building for size and strength both, so one workout is high rep and I don’t go over 205 pounds, I do free weight dumbbells too, and a lot of rep work with different motions so I can hit my chest hard. The other workout is more like a half workout. I do one rep of most weights, bench 135-185-205-225-260-max try. I’ll do 4-6 reps at 135 and 185 as warmup but don’t want to waste any energy beyond just warm up. It has worked very well for me and I find the best way to improve my one rep max is actually doing it. But your form better be very good so you don’t hurt yourself, controlled and steady, no jerking.

300+ is a monster bench by the way, very few people in the world will ever do that naturally. It’s easy on dudebro forums for people to talk like it’s normal but it puts you at the very top of the top among natural lifters. Given that most of the population doesn’t even bench press, and those who do often aren’t dedicated, and those who are dedicated like me may still never have done it before, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness