Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:03 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
OP, not sure why you're on such a critical kick lately. This subject has been discussed here from time to time and as I recall the general consensus among those not overly petty or overly fascinated with others' business is that there's nothing wrong with cosmetic reasons being one's motivation for lifting weights. Sort of like boxus described above.

I will not deny I like the way I look and I think weight training enhances that, but it is nowhere close to my primary motivation for lifting weights. I've mentioned before I used to be a runner and I'd lift weights reluctantly only to maintain a more balanced fitness regimen. In 2014 I finally had to admit that the leg injuries, some running related others from other sports and activities, were making it harder and harder to keep pursuing running the way I had been. In the spring of that year I shifted my efforts primarily to weight training, then had to put that on hold for my second knee surgery. By the fall of that year I had evolved my efforts to a strength oriented approach and continued to learn and research the best ways to train. It was a process but eventually what emerged was a training concept centered on the big compound lifts with accessory work built around them. Probably not too different from what many others do, really.

It continues to evolve, and now while I still pursue the same essential training approach I'm adjusting it to support other activities I pursue. So yeah, cosmetic benefits are definitely a nice byproduct (my wife would certainly tell you so) but they are not the driver behind the daily and weekly grind.
Yeah...OP, what gives?

I have many things that motivate me to lift and I'm not about to kid myself by saying that vanity isn't one of those things. I started weight lifting because of vanity - I was fat and wanted to look good. I wanted to spare muscle while losing fat because as you may know dieters often lose muscle mass in the dieting process and I didn't want to look saggy after a dramatic loss.

I still want to look good. And it goes without saying that I want to get stronger...no doubt about that. But I do work on vanity muscles because I like how they look in the mirror. As a middle aged woman who has also lost a lot of weight, you bet I'm conscious of how I look. I want firm in most visible places. So yes, I curl often, do lots of back and shoulder exercises and bench. I don't squat for physical reasons. I just finally managed to get the deadlift form right and may integrate that into workout. I'm sure some other lifters would have issues with that but hey...it's what makes me happy and that's really all that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM

501 posts, read 359,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Nothing wrong with that if that is the motivation.

While it is not my main goal, it certainly is a motivating secondary goal.

But there is more to looking good then lifting, some of the strongest people are rather blob looking, because their motivation is strength and strength only. You have to lift with a decent diet to keep the body fat percent low.
^^^^^^^
What he said !

Old 10-17-2018, 12:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
A large percentage vehemently deny it. I am not ashamed to admit that was my biggest motivator by far.

I may be wrong but it was my experience that nothing else is as effective for developing the proverbial "sexy bod".

Yet today I would still do it if the gym was much, much closer. This time it would be for strength and posture and, wait for it, looks.

Not saying it is all for cosmetic benefits. There are many other benefits to lifting. I do suspect that cosmetic reasons is the #1 reason for lifting when everybody and everything is considered.

I'll be in my bunker.
i primary lift weights for cosmetic reasons. ive been doing it for the past 21 years or so purely for cosmetic reasons. so i guess its a decent enough motivator.

the other factor would be strength. i dont want to be easy pickens if someone wants to kick my ass.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:40 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
"Mostly?" I guess as much as any exercise is, for most people. That's true of walking the dog two miles a day and its true of Yoga and Crossfitters and its true of Bodybuilders and almost everyone on the fitness spectrum with the exception of some Powerlifters.

Yeah, personally I don't totally buy the whole "I do it for myself" or "I don't give a lick about appearance" or whatever else.

Working out, exercise, training, has a huge host of benefits for the individual, and it it made you look bad I don't think many people would do it.

Its like when people say "I don't do XYZ for the money" when they do in fact get paid for what they're selling or the service they provide. Maybe not, but you wouldn't give it away either.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 PM

171 posts, read 157,104 times
Well, that's certainly one motivation.
But other motivations also include things such as the fact that it gives you a lot of energy, and it also makes you more resistant to injuries.
It can also literally be a lifesaver, like for example if you hang onto a cliff for dear life then you will be very grateful that you are strong enough to be able to climb back up.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:18 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
News flash; makeup is used primarily for cosmetic reasons. The majority of haircuts are rumored to done for appearance sake alone. Surveys suggest that people are buying clothes for how they look wearing them. Experts agree that some people diet to improve their appearance. Studies show that some people work out to look better.
It would have been just as easy to say that in a classy way. I'm sure you enjoyed the snarky angle.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I did get the cosmetic benefit years ago. Getting back to that at this age is much harder than it was before. If you are single it will likely improve your social life, but how much of that is because being fit and buff makes you feel more confident?

Maybe we should have a poll, in maybe the "relationships" section. What type of body do women prefer? Besides the muscular look a swimmers body type is also appealing to some. Pretty sure couch potato with a beer gut will be low on the list. A body helps but there are other things that the opposite sex finds important. A great body really only opens the door. After an introduction, its what is on the inside that will keep someone interested. It certainly goes both ways.

Like the old joke, "marrying a woman for her looks is like buying a house for its paint job".

And maybe the poll should include age because at my age being able to move without a walker, having most of your teeth, and still breathing will get you a lot of dates.

This sounds like over 85 then? Or being humorous...

Old 10-17-2018, 06:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Not saying it is all for cosmetic benefits. There are many other benefits to lifting. I do suspect that cosmetic reasons is the #1 reason for lifting when everybody and everything is considered.

I'll be in my bunker.
Except athletes right????? Oh, and basically anyone that is on television or in the movies that plays a non fat person role right?? And anyone over the age of 60 because of declining muscle mass and health right?? And fat people that are trying to lose weight right (weights for weightloss)??? And people recovering from injury right?? And anyone who's goal oriented about their lifting right (lifting more weight simply for the sake of accomplishment)??

Old 10-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
News flash; makeup is used primarily for cosmetic reasons. The majority of haircuts are rumored to done for appearance sake alone. Surveys suggest that people are buying clothes for how they look wearing them. Experts agree that some people diet to improve their appearance. Studies show that some people work out to look better.
Well, that's fair, but not all workouts are to "look better". I hike up hills to have more endurance and strength and lower blood pressure.

It's kind of worth noting - in my opinion - that certain workouts are to make you look better, vs. be healthier and live longer and have more energy.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, that's fair, but not all workouts are to "look better". I hike up hills to have more endurance and strength and lower blood pressure.

It's kind of worth noting - in my opinion - that certain workouts are to make you look better, vs. be healthier and live longer and have more energy.
A sage recently noted the sheer bulk of vanity satisfying bench and curl movements. Touched a nerve. Got some folks riled up. Most however agreed with him to some extent.

The title is "lifting" though. Not "workouts". Hikers probably do it enjoy nature and improve their health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness