Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:39 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The people who can, do. The people who can’t...start threads about the people who can.

This right here. You do what you can. There are a lot of people who post here who are against real weight training. Most of them are either mad because they haven't achieved any results or suffered some sort of injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 12:10 PM

6,704 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I don't know how long you have been lifting but I will say this. Trying to gain substantial muscle mass while running/elliptical that much is literally mission impossible for anyone who isn't a genetic mesomorph (genetically disposed to muscular build).

You could do some cardio like swimming with hand paddles (for more resistance) that wouldn't work so hard against muscular gains if so inclined.

You might be a good candidate for triathlons. I recommend the short course ones unless you have serious free time or a heckuva background in similar events. You will not see an obese triathlete unless things have seriously changed. Like really short courses.

If someone wants to completely focus on larger muscles then cardio exercises have to be tossed.

I personally think it is unfortunate that our society values bulging muscles over stamina and general fitness. It is what it is. Women spent 99% of our anthropological history seeking men who could chuck a spear the farthest.

*Addressing others, I have dead lifted 405 three times in succession a few times, the bar felt pretty heavy at that point.
I hope to do triathlons some day! I love biking & running, and I can swim (not very fast, though). I'll come in last. But it will be fun exercise, something to work up to.

I agree probably you have to focus on one or the other. For me, at least, bulging biceps are probably not to be. Just to be strong and healthy - that will be sufficient.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:41 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
Isn't most exercise beyond the basics needed for health about aesthetics for many people. I mean, some people just love it, but most people are also trying to achieve a certain "look". Who cares? You should make yourself happy. I know I workout for my own health, but I absolutely do do more strength training in order to have lean, toned muscles because that's how I want to look. I don't WANT to run a marathon or do a tri, but I love to hike and I make myself do HIIT sessions and I actually kind of enjoy lifting. We should all make ourselves as healthy as we can in the way that makes us feel great.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:52 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Isn't most exercise beyond the basics needed for health about aesthetics for many people. I mean, some people just love it, but most people are also trying to achieve a certain "look". Who cares? You should make yourself happy. I know I workout for my own health, but I absolutely do do more strength training in order to have lean, toned muscles because that's how I want to look. I don't WANT to run a marathon or do a tri, but I love to hike and I make myself do HIIT sessions and I actually kind of enjoy lifting. We should all make ourselves as healthy as we can in the way that makes us feel great.
My goal is always to increase the amount of weight that I can safely lift. Everything else is secondary.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:45 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
With all the obese, out of shape, McDonald's eating, dropping dead of a heart attack by 50 people in the world, complaining about those who work out because they do it for looks rather than fitness is like complaining about hybrid smartcar drivers who do it for image rather than a sincere desire to reduce emissions. WTF CARES WHY? And it's none of your damn business anyway.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:19 PM

844 posts, read 1,442,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I've always done it to be better at the sports I'm playing.

But I'm one of those strange people that no matter how strong I got, my body didn't really look that different so I didn't really get the cosmetic benefit of it.

Bench 130 same bod bench 240.

Ran 6 miles a day same legs no running.

Just weird.

How fast can you run 6 miles?

Old 10-20-2018, 06:48 PM

24,626 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
News flash; makeup is used primarily for cosmetic reasons. The majority of haircuts are rumored to done for appearance sake alone. Surveys suggest that people are buying clothes for how they look wearing them. Experts agree that some people diet to improve their appearance. Studies show that some people work out to look better.

Time to admit folks look better with low body fat percentages and more muscle. Being healthy is just a bonus

Old 10-20-2018, 10:25 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Tell that to all the shot-putters, pole-vaulters, football players, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Football players represent a measurable percentage. Have you ever met a professional shot putter or pole vaulter? Have any of us?

Lifting is a great activity for footballers. Probably wrestling too.
In my hometown, it's hard to avoid meeting good track and field athletes, there's so many of them. No matter the type of event, weightlifting seems to be common among them all. On this warm, sunny evening about 6 pm, there seemed to be more runners on my street than there were cars. Big, strong runners, smaller, slender ones and those in between. So many good-looking and healthy people. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them also do some type of weight training or upper-body resistance exercises. I saw what was going on around here and joined-in, when I was four years old. I've done it ever since, for all the various reasons mentioned on this thread.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:38 AM

385 posts, read 323,986 times
Regarding bulging biceps, I have been athletic my whole life but never really had bulging biceps. After doing pull ups, they bulge a little.

The other day at the post office I saw this younger guy (late 20s) who was obviously a serious weight lifter, and his arms looked tremendous. It may help to wear a T-shirt that is a little too small . . .

Problem is that to get to that point of development, it takes lot and lots of work and lifting. I am relatively sure his main hobby was weightlifting or body building, and not playing a sport. Hardly enough time to perfect a sport when you spend some much time in the weight room working on your biceps. YMMV.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:27 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
Regarding bulging biceps, I have been athletic my whole life but never really had bulging biceps. After doing pull ups, they bulge a little.

The other day at the post office I saw this younger guy (late 20s) who was obviously a serious weight lifter, and his arms looked tremendous. It may help to wear a T-shirt that is a little too small . . .

Problem is that to get to that point of development, it takes lot and lots of work and lifting. I am relatively sure his main hobby was weightlifting or body building, and not playing a sport. Hardly enough time to perfect a sport when you spend some much time in the weight room working on your biceps. YMMV.
Lifting as much as you can until you simply can't do it again is extremely hard work. "No pain, no gain." Hard to argue with that. A lot of us enjoyed it in our early twenties. Making it hard to argue with the logic of lifting.

It is hard to find healthy affordable pleasure that yields positive outcomes. If someone truly enjoys lifting, by all means they should lift to their hearts content.

I'm not arguing the value of lifting. Ten positive outcomes to lifting could easily be named. However it is my opinion that the results of this thread buttress the initial statement. Lifting is mostly done for cosmetic reasons. Never said there was anything wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness