Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:25 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,369,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Many hugs for you, OP. If you've been diagnosed with PCOS, I take it you've had a hormone work-up? No thyroid issues? Have you checked thyroid?

With the measurements you posted, it's clear you're overweight. And "no sweets" (including--no fruit juice) or refined carbs, no corn or potatoes, should be a way of life for you, as it should for many of us. You may have to be on a lower-carb diet for life, which is not a bad thing. (You can join my club. ). Get a book from Amazon, called "Protein Power". It's an old book, so just a couple of bucks. It's written by a husband-wife MD team, and they explain all about building lean muscle mass, etc. You start with very low carbs, then, when you've met your goal, you add some carbs back in, for a maintenance diet. They explain about oils, too. Lots of detail is included, charts, easy math formulas, everything you need. You'll be hungry the first two weeks, then your body will adjust, and you'll be fine. Once you get into it, you won't feel deprived, and you'll make such good progress, that will be its own reward. Also, since you don't have much weight to lose, you won't have to do the strictest version of the diet; they give you the choice of a more gradual option, which is more appropriate for your case.

I looked up PCOS; it says self-treatment involves maintaining a healthy weight (and healthy insulin levels, thus--no sweets), and exercising regularly. What does your doctor say? Exercise helps maintain healthy insulin levels (a type of hormone, & PCOS is characterized by hormone imbalances), which is important in PCOS cases. Maintaining lean muscle mass also helps control insulin levels.

As to the no sweets, no high-glycemic foods: find a couple of food items you're allowed, and psych yourself to categorize them as your special treats. For example, the diet allows 1/2 avocado, recommended as a meal, stuffed with tuna or chicken salad. If you like avocados, program yourself to think of that as your "treat" food; most diets don't allow it, so enjoy what you can.

You had an eating disorder before? How is that, now? Has that resolved? If not, I recommend counseling, as part of your diet and health maintenance strategy. It wouldn't have to be a long-term thing, like a "forever" thing; maybe just a few months, to get to the root of the issue.

See.if this all makes sense to you. And good luck!
a 29" waist and 40" hips is not overweight. where on earth did you get that from? she's h/w proportionate and by most metrics, she's fine. not athletic, just right in the middle of the road. My measurements are a 28" waist, 38" hips and I have a four pack. I doubt an extra inch in waist would be a big difference and mean that I'd have "a tummy". You realize that some people may never, EVER get a 24" inch waist right?

again, how on earth did you arrive at her being overweight??

did you read how this woman is recovering from an eating disorder yet you type something like that and your previous post? and if she does have a butt so what? I'd take that over being flat as a pancake.

also, you don't have to follow a lower carb diet to get results. I sure as heck don't and I eat sweets. Everything in moderation. Now THAT is something that "should" be a way of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 10:31 AM

20,650 posts, read 8,405,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
a 29" waist and 40" hips is not overweight. where on earth did you get that from? she's h/w proportionate and by most metrics, she's fine. not athletic, just right in the middle of the road.

I am 5'8" and my hips have never been bigger than 38 and I don't recall my waist ever being more than 28. Usually I am an inch smaller. But I like fashion so prefer being on the slim side. I also just feel better overall.

To get an impartial sense of your body, take photos with the head blocked off. In the past when I felt 'fat' I took pics and realized I wasn't fat, just needed to work on my muscle tone.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedFattie101 View Post
I did suffer from eating disorder when I was 16 but I know I'm smarter than that and I'm no longer that person. In 2016 I wanted to do it "healthy way" i was 119 pounds but it took me very much effort to achieve that not to mention that I was always hungry and worked out everyday cardio and weights 5 days a week. It was exhausting I looked great and felt good to but through out whole 6 months of dieting I didn't touch or eat anything sweet besides occasional fruit it was insane...once I started eat at different times and included some fried food and occasional sweets I regained the weight back in 1 month Idk what to do I wanna preserve my muscle but loose weight ...maybe I should just live off lettuce and cooked chicken ? I know I need protein to keep muscle right ?
I'm bringing this post back up in case some of you start going down that "overweight" road. Eating disorders aren't so easily discarded or grown out of. The OP, bless her heart, has had people calling her fat throughout her life. Is it really helpful to feed into that by stating that she's overweight when she is in fact not?

Old 11-02-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I am 5'8" and my hips have never been bigger than 38 and I don't recall my waist ever being more than 28. Usually I am an inch smaller. But I like fashion so prefer being on the slim side. I also just feel better overall.

To get an impartial sense of your body, take photos with the head blocked off. In the past when I felt 'fat' I took pics and realized I wasn't fat, just needed to work on my muscle tone.
I can post my pics of when my waist was 29 and trust me, I didn't look fat. I looked great. It's about proportion. I also had (and still have) very broad shoulders, so I'm an hourglass.

A 29" waist puts someone in the size 8-10 zone, hardly fat. not everyone has to be rail thin to look good.

I never call myself or feel fat. I WAS fat, so I know the difference. And as long as I'm grinding it out at the gym and doing what I do, I don't worry about it. Working out makes me feel good, not a clothes size.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,939,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm bringing this post back up in case some of you start going down that "overweight" road. Eating disorders aren't so easily discarded or grown out of. The OP, bless her heart, has had people calling her fat throughout her life. Is it really helpful to feed into that by stating that she's overweight when she is in fact not?
Agree, 5-2 and 129 doesn’t strike me as overweight at all. And frankly...OP’s hip-to-waist dimensions sound appealing. Then again that’s coming from a guy who legitimately prefers women who are legitimately overweight and sport nice big backsides!

Old 11-02-2018, 12:53 PM

926 posts, read 960,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedFattie101 View Post
Hi I'm 24 year old female. I am 5'2 and I weight 129lbs. I like lifting weights and working out my muscle.(sadly not too fond of cardio) I recently bought scale with app that shows all details and according to it I have 18.4% of fat and 99.2lbs of muscle mass also it shows my metabolic age is 25 which shows that it is higher than it should be. What I don't understand is that according to that app my fat percentage is already in "athlete" category yet I look fat like super fat ! Whats going on? Is it possible that my scale is just bad ? it seems to good to be true and I definitely don't look like other females with 18% of fat. Also other things that this app show that might be relevant in someone helping me out. Body water 56%, skeletal muscle 47.5%, bone mass 6.4 lbs, protein 19.8% , fat free body 105.6lbs. Why I don't look fit ? What am I doing wrong ? if my fat free body is 105.6 lbs that means that I have 23.4 lbs of fat is that too much for someone my age and height ? Should I do more cardio ? Mostly my workouts are full body weight usually every other day and sometimes cardio. I'm also worried about my metabolic age why is it higher ? Please someone help me out because I'm so confused at this point.
Are you weighing yourself early morning each day, before meals, after using bathroom on a digital scale that is not moved in a warm location? Bottom line, if you look fat you are fat, need to lose more fat. Cardio is important!

Old 11-02-2018, 01:07 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,350,690 times
One thing to keep in mind is that your body is not finished growing INTERNALLY.

The other thing is that those 24 hour fitness venues often have, FOR FREE, (and the YWCA) an evaluation coach that would help you with all these things.

WE're also often prisoners of body type, our job (sendentary, physically brutal, etc.) and our stress level and bad habits.(Starbucks, more lattes, and more coffee please).

I wouldn't be so fixated about it. That's only going to make things worse.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:19 PM

15 posts, read 12,304 times
Yes I do weight myself everyday for the past 8 days (that's when I bought the scale). Before meals right after I wake up.Its been pretty much same everyday. Just difference by 1 pound or so.

Doctors never really said anything to me about my weight (besides the tummy talk because I asked him why I can't get rid of it) and what he told me wasn't something I wanted to hear anyway I am on birth control because otherwise I don't have periods almost at all... I went to doctor last time and asked her if she can check my blood cus I don't even know my type. I always get discarded with "you're fine" and I ended up not having the blood test. Also my thyroid was checked "visually and manually" she just touched it and said feels fine and that's about it.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:34 PM

And when it comes to my eating disorder I moved on. I honestly wish i never did it to myself but its in the past and it should stay there but if said that there isn't anything wrong I would be lying. I have some "psychological scaring" and I did addressed it for a while but I guess my therapist wasn't helping plus it became to expensive to attend anyway. I obviously don't have issues eating now lol :P and I know that starvation isn't a key to happy let alone healthy life. Just the emotional aspect is still there but I'm coping best I can and maybe I'll never be happy with how I look but I just wish others didn't think of my as fat because

Old 11-02-2018, 02:35 PM

I feel like i work hard for my muscle however its not good enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness