Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
People who just sit on a piece of equipment forever, not exercising. Like, more than 5 minutes, doing nothing. Staring off into space.

HELLO, MOVE!

5 minutes of rest between sets is common when doing heavy, compound lifts. Just an FYI.

Last edited by Chicago South Sider; 11-15-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 10:37 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I actually think it's fine to do walking lunges and it doesn't bother me when people do them, but they should definitely not be doing walking lunges with a barbell, that takes up way too much space and you risk hurting not just yourself, but other people. Do them with a dumbbell.

I don't understand these complaints, why not just ask them to move? Or ask to work in? I do it all the time and I never get any trouble.
People do. Often the result is a sneer and having to work in with somone who is already having an attitude, which is uncomfortable. Very few people seem to apologize or just smile and get on with the workout. If some of these folks got stranded on a desert island, they would go mad from no Facebook, Instagram etc. Forget learning to spearfish and make a hut from the trees!

Old 11-15-2018, 11:32 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
People do. Often the result is a sneer and having to work in with somone who is already having an attitude, which is uncomfortable. Very few people seem to apologize or just smile and get on with the workout. If some of these folks got stranded on a desert island, they would go mad from no Facebook, Instagram etc. Forget learning to spearfish and make a hut from the trees!
"Often the result"? That's complete hogwash, I've never witnessed this in any commercial gym I've ever attended. I've literally had ONE bad encounter in the last 7 years. To a man/woman, almost every person I've ever asked to work in, has allowed it. If they get irritated, not my problem. And honestly, as long as you're helping each other load each other's weights and taking them off, it's great because you both get through your workouts efficiently. If they respond with "I have x amount of sets left," you just go "okay cool that's cool but let me work in with you." I'm very comfortable explaining my desire to work in. The other day a guy was using the squat rack for barbell rows, and I kindly asked him if he could do it in a separate area so i could use one of the gym's only two racks for squats. And ultimately he was cool with it. It's really not that hard, you just have to be confident in the fact that 99% of the time someone tries to deny you something in the gym, they're in the wrong.

If you get a bad attitude then go to the gym manager, take personal responsibility over your workouts. Not saying anything and stewing about it because you think you'll get an "attitude" is an excuse people make up in their minds because they're afraid to go talk to people.

People who have an attitude in the gym in my experience are going to be very rare, and if so, are probably not very experienced gymgoers or serious about their workouts, and have a ton of insecurity.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:59 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,658 times
Had a Trifecta the other day -

-"Mr Blaster" with headphones on full blast - and talks over it. He will be deaf soon.

-the "McBickersons", they fight over e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g! He can't lay the towel down right, she needs to stop breathing "that way" - I give them 6 months.

-"Mr Impressor" - slightly soft guy with new girlfriend - "trust me, I'm stronger than I look" and teaching her some BAD moves. Actually got pulled off his feet while doing cables. No, dude you aren't.

Oh and as I was leaving - "Ms Beauty Queen" overly made up, talking on her Bluetooth like she is the only person in the room - about the details of someone's medical procedure - I'm gathering the drainage was bad!

Old 11-15-2018, 01:19 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,735,318 times
People who have conversations on their cellphones when they are right next to me on the elliptical. No class or common sense.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:40 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,328 times
My local gym is very popular with Instagram models. So there are constantly people working out there wearing strange outfits and video taping themselves.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:16 PM

714 posts, read 721,580 times
The most annoying person at my gym is the yoga instructor who's a size 0, insists on calling all the poses by their Sanskrit names in a beginning yoga class, offers NO modifications, does not look at the people in the class, and just demonstrates the poses up front. And this is in a BEGINNING class. I walked out in the middle of the class.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:50 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
"Often the result"? That's complete hogwash, I've never witnessed this in any commercial gym I've ever attended. I've literally had ONE bad encounter in the last 7 years. To a man/woman, almost every person I've ever asked to work in, has allowed it. If they get irritated, not my problem. And honestly, as long as you're helping each other load each other's weights and taking them off, it's great because you both get through your workouts efficiently. If they respond with "I have x amount of sets left," you just go "okay cool that's cool but let me work in with you." I'm very comfortable explaining my desire to work in. The other day a guy was using the squat rack for barbell rows, and I kindly asked him if he could do it in a separate area so i could use one of the gym's only two racks for squats. And ultimately he was cool with it. It's really not that hard, you just have to be confident in the fact that 99% of the time someone tries to deny you something in the gym, they're in the wrong.

If you get a bad attitude then go to the gym manager, take personal responsibility over your workouts. Not saying anything and stewing about it because you think you'll get an "attitude" is an excuse people make up in their minds because they're afraid to go talk to people.

People who have an attitude in the gym in my experience are going to be very rare, and if so, are probably not very experienced gymgoers or serious about their workouts, and have a ton of insecurity.
You must have a great gym, in a nice town. I've seen the total opposite out here. Numerous tiffs over weights, lots of divas male and female. There are a few good people and in going there for years im only on a first name basis with two who I will work out with if we are both there.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:12 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I guess I lucked out with my current gym as we don't have any lunk heads. They have signs all over requesting cell phone conversations be done in the lobby and I have yet to see anybody claim a particular machine or bench. Most of us are wearing ear buds so I don't hear their conversations. My only complaint would be the people who come in wearing too much perfume or cologne.

The only odd thing is one guy who does 1000 reps on this one particular machine. I thought he was joking at first when I asked him because that bicep machine is the only one I ever see him on. But no he was serious. Thankfully we have two of almost every machine there.

sounds like a Planet Fitness, I'm a member too and this is the best gym I've ever been to for non-Lunk-head people.

There are a lot of woman and elderly who feel comfortable lifting free weights in the area with the rest of us. They have 2 of every machine so even if someone is monopolizing a certain machine you have an option. I have never seen someone on a cell phone on the gym floor.

The local YMCA was a different story.

I have seen a few people pick up dumbbells without walking away and lift right in front of the rack. Otherwise it's a pretty chill place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
5 minutes of rest between sets is common when doing heavy, compound lifts. Just an FYI.
that doesn't really describe most machines though. when your isolating one head of your shoulder or lifting for a small muscle you shouldn't be that tired. Generally there's too much time spent between sets by a lot of people.

people who rest 3, 4 or even 5 minutes between sets for muscles like triceps, shoulders, biceps etc are just wasting time.

doing deadlifts, cleans and jerks is a bit different but still, between the first three sets I'm not waiting 4 minutes between sets. Keep the heart rate up and get some cardio benefits as well, I'm not training for the winter Olympics.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:22 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
sounds like a Planet Fitness, I'm a member too and this is the best gym I've ever been to for non-Lunk-head people.

There are a lot of woman and elderly who feel comfortable lifting free weights in the area with the rest of us. They have 2 of every machine so even if someone is monopolizing a certain machine you have an option. I have never seen someone on a cell phone on the gym floor.

The local YMCA was a different story.

I have seen a few people pick up dumbbells without walking away and lift right in front of the rack. Otherwise it's a pretty chill place.

that doesn't really describe most machines though. when your isolating one head of your shoulder or lifting for a small muscle you shouldn't be that tired. Generally there's too much time spent between sets by a lot of people.

people who rest 3, 4 or even 5 minutes between sets for muscles like triceps, shoulders, biceps etc are just wasting time.

doing deadlifts, cleans and jerks is a bit different but still, between the first three sets I'm not waiting 4 minutes between sets. Keep the heart rate up and get some cardio benefits as well, I'm not training for the winter Olympics.
To the contrary, if you're not fully recovered from a hard set, the next one will be below your best level. You improve in strength only when you work at the top of your ability. Need aerobic training? Then do some running or hill-climbing on a bicycle. Maybe a hard set on a rowing ergometer. I built myself a kayak-paddling simulator and do as hard a set as I can, every day. It takes some time afterwards, before my breathing is back to normal. What you get by doing multiple weight-lifting sets, close together, is very limited in comparison, for aerobic purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness