Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 09:30 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times

Advertisements

I've been lifting and building muscle but now I'm looking for more muscle definition, which means i'll need to add in some cardio. I only have four days a week I can workout, M-TH. I usually alternate every other day with an upper body and lower body workout and spend about an hour at the gym. I mostly superset and sometimes do HIIT workouts but I want to make sure I get cardio in. Ideally, I'd like to lift first, then cardio after, but I don't have an hour and a half. I also do core after my session so it would really be packing it in. I'm thinking of doing cardio + core in the morning Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, and lifting either during lunch or after work, and only lift on Tuesday, which will probably be a leg day. Anyone able to actually pack in cardio + core + lifting in an hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 09:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I do lifting sometime in the mornings, then cardio through jiu jitsu in the evening. Reverse of that on one of the weekend days. Not all the time, depends how often I go to jiu jitsu. If cardio alone, I usually do not do anything else that day, but sort of just works out that way.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:28 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
It’s definitely possible to get it all done in an hour especially doing super sets. There are plenty of apps that offer workouts based on things like time restraints as well as ability.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:38 PM

574 posts, read 377,026 times
When we had sunny days, I did my lifting in the morning and then a few hours on the bike on the trails. When its nasty outside i do both cardio and lifting at the gym and then ride the virtual bike at home.

However, since I started rehabbing my shoulders, most lifting is out. I should be losing weight with my routines but I am always hungry.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:43 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Tighten up your nutrition and you won't "have to do" cardio to lose BF.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:03 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
How many of you workout twice a day? Or do cardio + lift??
Ive been doing twice a days for years now. I do my cardio in the morning which is usually one of the following followed by some taiji/qigong/vinyasa:

5k run
10k run
45 minutes of jump rope
HIIT sprints

Then, later in the day, depending on my schedule, I'll do my lifting (CF, HIT or bodyweight) in the afternoon or evening followed by some yoga asanas.

This works great for me but it isnt for everyone. Mostly because people dont like waking up at 4:30 AM which I absolutely dont mind. Also, I am not a TV person so I am not up watching tv shows all night. Im in bed usually by 9:00 - 9:30 PM.

My morning cardio is done 5 days a week monday - friday without fail. The other stuff I mix in based on frequency, intensity and how my body feels. Its usually 4 days a week though, sometimes more, sometimes less. But mostly about 4x.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I used to run 2 miles to warm up to lift.

Now I play tennis and then lift.

Because taking 5 showers a day does not appeal to me, I don't do 2-a-days. The cardio and weights are done back to back.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:37 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Nice weather - Can do my lifting first and then run (I usually do this in the am one week day and take some leave time from work to arrive later - the other is on a weekend) two times a week. Winter - only run once a week if I can hack it and do a tighter eating plan. I need to try runs on a treadmill but I spend enough time in the gym that the thought of doing cardio there too very unappealing. When I did fitness competitions, cardio about 4 times a week after lifting and in the evenings. That was a temporary plan though not long term.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:45 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
If I hustle I can do lifting plus 15-20 mins of cardio in an hour....BUT.....that means I don't warm up properly and sort of rush through sets vs. taking my time, getting proper rest between sets and sometimes cutting down from 4 sets per exercise (what I prefer) to only 2 or 3 sets.

Can't you wake up 30 mins earlier and get it all done in 90 minutes? If not, I would probably do splits like you've outlined. You can't do one or the other and expect significant results, especially with only 4 days per week (2 would be cardio only). Split it up and get it all in.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:50 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do lifting sometime in the mornings, then cardio through jiu jitsu in the evening. Reverse of that on one of the weekend days. Not all the time, depends how often I go to jiu jitsu. If cardio alone, I usually do not do anything else that day, but sort of just works out that way.
I have a very similar system, except I lift in the afternoons and in the evenings do Judo. I lift M-F, and usually get 2 or 3 Judo sessions in on weekdays, with an additional training session on Saturdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness