Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 04:11 AM

853 posts, read 648,314 times

Advertisements

Hi,

It's been a long time I was not in a gym but last week I decided to join a "low cost" gym since I don't have much money and neither time to go there. Currently I am working and studying so this leaves very few free time. However being a lonely boy at the moment I decided to go there to make some exercise and disconnect, to relieve stress and anxiety. I want to remove some fats, being a man, I am worried about "side fat", I'm sorry I'm not an english speaker so excuse me if I can't express it correctly, I mean the fat that is stored in the lower back sides (laterals). I think I'm not fat. This is my height and weight in metric: 170 cm, 60 kg and in standard converted from metric: 5 feet 7 inches, 132 pounds (weighed last week).

I'm doing cardio at the gym, 30 min. of running in treadmill and 30 min. of bike and some abs at home. I'm introvert and I don't like people watching at me laid in the ground doing abs but if you consider is better to do it at the gym, I can do it there. I want to try Elliptical as well but this is embarrasing, I don't know what to do these kind of exercises.

What are your thoughts? criticism? opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 05:19 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Congratulations- that’s great!

Your exercises are fine. If someone looks at you, the person is strange and just ignore him.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:52 AM

171 posts, read 157,104 times
People will only look at you if you become self-conscious and start acting insecure.
Everyone at the gym is usually focused 100% on their own exercises.

I am kind of introvert as well and I felt really awkward during my first visits at my college gym about 1 year ago - I felt like everyone else was staring at me and analysing my every move - but I insisted on going there anyway until it kinda became a routine, and now I feel completely comfortable there.
It's actually quite good if something feels a bit uncomfortable (as long as it feels reasonably manageable), because this means that you are practising something that used to be an obstacle and that you are growing as a person.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:20 PM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
I can say with near certainty that no one is "watching" you workout. I hear that a lot from insecure people who think that they are being judged while lifting or doing cardio. Most people have some level of awareness of the people around them but unless you're Pamela Anderson in her heyday, doubtful anyone is truly staring at you or paying much attention. Welcome to the gym!

Old 12-17-2018, 03:02 PM

171 posts, read 157,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I can say with near certainty that no one is "watching" you workout. I hear that a lot from insecure people who think that they are being judged while lifting or doing cardio. Most people have some level of awareness of the people around them but unless you're Pamela Anderson in her heyday, doubtful anyone is truly staring at you or paying much attention. Welcome to the gym!
I don't think anyone at the gyms is really "staring" at someone, that would look kinda weird.
The so-called "stares" that people sometimes talk about are typically just 2-3 glances or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness