Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:26 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
First of all, I would like to make it clear that we love seeing new faces at the gym. We love to see people trying to better themselves mind and body.

Husband and I are both health freaks. We love working out and staying healthy. We go 5 days a week.

As much as we love seeing new faces at the gym, you gotta admit that it's not very pleasant to have the gym overcrowded. We both work full time as professionals, and we both go into our offices early in the morning, so the only time we can go work out is right after work.

This evening, we went to the gym and oh my goodness it was so crowded. We dealt with it by doing our routines as fast as we could with very little breaks in between. We were able to finish everything we wanted to do in 30 minutes. I did 6 routines, 3 sets each, 8-10 reps each set. It was arms day for me.

Again, let me make it clear that we don't hate new year's resolutioners.

How do you deal with overcrowded gym?
I hate the new year's resolutioners. They almost never stick with it and they crowd the place and the parking lot. Nothing you can do except know that in about 3 weeks, most of them are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 06:15 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Today at the gym it was newbie hell. I usually am easy going enough that they don't really bug me, but today was an exception.

I am laying on a bench doing chest presses with dumbbells and a guy gets on a bench next to me and starts doing flies and he is so close he is banging my bench and me. Does he move? No. I had to move.

I was standing in front of a mirror doing some arm work with dumbbells and a guy, (different guy) stands right in front of me and starts working out. I was standing fairly close to the mirror and there was room for him to go pretty much anywhere else.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:43 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
First of all, I would like to make it clear that we love seeing new faces at the gym. We love to see people trying to better themselves mind and body.

Husband and I are both health freaks. We love working out and staying healthy. We go 5 days a week.

As much as we love seeing new faces at the gym, you gotta admit that it's not very pleasant to have the gym overcrowded. We both work full time as professionals, and we both go into our offices early in the morning, so the only time we can go work out is right after work.

This evening, we went to the gym and oh my goodness it was so crowded. We dealt with it by doing our routines as fast as we could with very little breaks in between. We were able to finish everything we wanted to do in 30 minutes. I did 6 routines, 3 sets each, 8-10 reps each set. It was arms day for me.

Again, let me make it clear that we don't hate new year's resolutioners.

How do you deal with overcrowded gym?
Even though it would be the Gym's place to encourage these individuals to "stay the course" so to speak (you would be encouraging them to remain, increasing the Gym's business if they did so without getting paid yourself), it would be an altruistic and patriotic thing on your part to do so.

It will keep you and your husband "Battle Ready" if the Country should call on you. You would, in turn, increase the health and readiness of fellow citizens, keeping them out of the doctor's office, and more "conditioned" if our Country should need them.

There is a "Hypersonic Missile" race between the U.S., China, Russia, etc. These missiles can travel at something like 20 times the speed of sound, we may all have to outrun them one day, so go heavy on the treadmill....

Old 01-19-2019, 12:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I just don’t go the entire month of January. I run at home, use free weights I have, do weight bearing exercises. I hate January at the gym.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:05 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I hate the new year's resolutioners. They almost never stick with it and they crowd the place and the parking lot. Nothing you can do except know that in about 3 weeks, most of them are gone.
just remember that their dues/fees help keep the fitness center open and filled w/ equipment that you're using.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:57 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Why not just ignore the newcomers other than for the entertainment value that they give?

At my gym, they make a show of doing things that none of the very fit regulars do- mainly all sorts of dramatic stretches and useless wimpy exercises. They also wear silly looking clothes.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 7,556 times
My gym is finally empty from the resolutions crowds. I give them props for lasting this long. Much longer than before which usually is around February.

My question now is how has Spring Break influenced crowdness in your gym lately? More or less people.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:31 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybuilder96 View Post
My gym is finally empty from the resolutions crowds. I give them props for lasting this long. Much longer than before which usually is around February.

My question now is how has Spring Break influenced crowdness in your gym lately? More or less people.
I find a pattern of newbie gym people. January you have the resolutioners. They are usually gone by March. Once the weather starts to get nice you have the people that all of a sudden realize they need to lose weight for bathing suits or shorts and other warm weather clothing. By summer they are usually gone.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:57 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybuilder96 View Post

More kids, college through Jr high.....esp in the fitness classes.....I love seeing younger folks get the fitness bug.....esp higher risk minorities in the area.......our country is too obese.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness