Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:05 PM

510 posts, read 447,186 times

Advertisements

Thinking about buying a total gym machine. Wondering what kind of results can be expected from working out on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 10:18 PM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I've never used one, but from reading online people have gotten good results in becoming toned and losing weight.

I would not get one because it simply does not suit the type of exercises I like to do, especially lower body exercises, and there just isn't enough resistance to make you bulk up and get stronger (if that is your goal).

Total Gym Review: I’ve Used it for 10 Years

Old 01-24-2019, 06:15 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I personally wouldn't pay $1 for such a machine, much less the hundreds and even thousands that they go for online. Why not just join a gym? They have WAY more/better equipment to get you in shape. If a gym isn't an option, buy a bench and a set of free weights.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:15 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
I bought one about 10 years ago. It was a waste of space. I ended up throwing it away.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:19 AM

510 posts, read 447,186 times
Thanks. I'm going with the free weights and bench. Seems like the best option.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:30 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Thanks. I'm going with the free weights and bench. Seems like the best option.
Good choice. You'll get much better results.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:29 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Gimmick. Get a weight bench and some good iron weights.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:44 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
If you have a planet fitness around, I believe they're still running the $0 down and $10 per month special. No commitment either, cannot beat that deal and the equipment is far better than anything you'll buy for home use.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Actually, it is more relying on how much effort you put into exercise, than on what you exercise. You can accomplish great with piece of 10x2 and chain with crossbar, doing isometrics, and very little with full blown gym.
There will be plenty of limitations with weights and bench. You WILL have more options with a "total gym" type equipment. problem with them, they are space taking and tend to fall apart. Like any hybrid, they are neither perfect, nor bad, they are in the middle. Noisy.

But you are looking at it wrong. those you do buy on craigslist. they are abundant there and for ridiculous prices. As far as you have cash and are willing to take it apart and haul and re assemble.

Also, rather go for Bowflex. Bowflex has one thing nothing else does - end point max resistance. That builds shape very fast. Also, they have excellent sets of barbells, all in one, where you clip various weights in place onto the same handle. My son has that. Very good. He also has a folding equivalent of Smith machine. Very inexpensive new, easy install, has to be mounted to the wall, but excellent results. He does almost everything with body weight using that machine and some with BF weights set. Folds flat against the wall.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:32 PM

387 posts, read 515,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Thinking about buying a total gym machine. Wondering what kind of results can be expected from working out on them.
I've had 2 Total Gyms over the last 20 years and really like the concept for certain things. I also have free weights and dumbbells for more strenuous exercises. I think the TGym is good for light to moderate workouts, rehab, or those who want certain range of motion exercises. I use the TGym full incline for pull-ups, 3x 25 for example is a great upper body drill...I Do agree a good bench press is a great choice, just have to be mindful of accidents / injuries without a spotter. The prices have gotten a bit crazy for TGym and there are better choices to spend your money. But if you're not going to do push-ups, sit-ups, or a Plank, on your own there's no sense in buying any machines in my mind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness