Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:18 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times

Advertisements

First of all, I would like to make it clear that we love seeing new faces at the gym. We love to see people trying to better themselves mind and body.

Husband and I are both health freaks. We love working out and staying healthy. We go 5 days a week.

As much as we love seeing new faces at the gym, you gotta admit that it's not very pleasant to have the gym overcrowded. We both work full time as professionals, and we both go into our offices early in the morning, so the only time we can go work out is right after work.

This evening, we went to the gym and oh my goodness it was so crowded. We dealt with it by doing our routines as fast as we could with very little breaks in between. We were able to finish everything we wanted to do in 30 minutes. I did 6 routines, 3 sets each, 8-10 reps each set. It was arms day for me.

Again, let me make it clear that we don't hate new year's resolutioners.

How do you deal with overcrowded gym?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 07:26 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
I don't worry about it anymore. It only lasts a month!!

Old 01-03-2019, 07:28 PM

6,876 posts, read 4,877,055 times
We are able to avoid early morning or late afternoon so although there will be more people for 4 to 6 weeks it isn't much of a bother for us. Early Saturday and Sunday usually isn't too bad as many people want to sleep in. So I find it is all about timing.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
It might be a good time to try something new as in the exercises you do and the equipment you use. As another poster said, they don't last long. If you can be flexible in your workouts you can navigate around them easier.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:07 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
I really dislike crowded gyms as well.

I'm sure some actually prefer that, kind of like how some people like crowded night clubs where they feel comfortable being near and around a lot of people.

I just find it distracting and of course having to deal with gym idiots like the one hero who likes to 'reserve' three or four equipment at the same time.

The way I deal with crowds is by going when it is least crowded. I know it's not an option for many, but I go very early in the mornings before work. Now, since I start work at 4 AM, I'll get up around 2 AM or so and work out then. On my days off, I'll go a few hours before the lunch time crowd.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:02 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Normally I go to the gym Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday around 10-11 a.m. and Saturday has always been uncrowded until I went last Saturday. Wow! It was packed but thankfully there are lots of treadmills, etc. I think it's great to see new faces especially when they obviously need to be there but the truth is gyms rely on people joining who never stick with it. I remember reading that somewhere not too long ago. I go to a Planet Fitness and I love it - there are people of all ages, sizes and fitness levels there plus the hydro massage bed alone makes it worth the $23 a month.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:51 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,379,537 times
I go early in the a.m. when the true fitness freaks go (pre 7am). Very few NY Resolutioners have the wherewithal to get up and exercise that early in the a.m. Can you workout early for a few weeks? Know that 90% of them will be gone soon enough.

I hate a crowded gym too. Let me re-state that.....I don't mind a crowded gym if everyone is practicing gym etiquette; however, that rarely happens with a lot of people in a small space. The few times when my gym has become too crowded I've moved to a new gym.

I SO miss my little neighborhood gym in Aurora, CO. The best equipment, never crowded and full of figure models in bikinis. SIGH.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:05 AM

1,279 posts, read 854,153 times
I just go really early (starting before 6am). It's quiet and pretty empty.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:28 AM

238 posts, read 172,534 times
I only dislike crowd when squat cage is in use and it's leg day. There's only one cage in my 24 fitness gym. There are two additional squat racks with non-adjustable safety bars that is couple of inches too high for me.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:15 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
First of all, I would like to make it clear that we love seeing new faces at the gym. We love to see people trying to better themselves mind and body.

Husband and I are both health freaks. We love working out and staying healthy. We go 5 days a week.

As much as we love seeing new faces at the gym, you gotta admit that it's not very pleasant to have the gym overcrowded. We both work full time as professionals, and we both go into our offices early in the morning, so the only time we can go work out is right after work.

This evening, we went to the gym and oh my goodness it was so crowded. We dealt with it by doing our routines as fast as we could with very little breaks in between. We were able to finish everything we wanted to do in 30 minutes. I did 6 routines, 3 sets each, 8-10 reps each set. It was arms day for me.

Again, let me make it clear that we don't hate new year's resolutioners.

How do you deal with overcrowded gym?
My gym can get very crowded at times and when I first started going there I would get really frustrated that I wasn't able to get to every exercise I wanted. One day I decided to change my approach. If I got to the gym and I couldn't perform my routine as planned. I would instead improvise and do something different and out of the ordinary. Be it kettlebells, body weight exercises, I would jump into whatever class was going on, etc. Now I go to spin classes, body pump classes, boxing, a partake in 5 and 10k runs, along with my regular lifting weights.

I personally think its beneficial to keep challenging your body by trying new exercises and activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness