Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 12:42 AM

57 posts, read 39,456 times

Advertisements

Ok, so i had been working out for a month and Ive either added reps or adding kgs to my lifts but after a month a trainer came up to me and said your form in chest press is bad that i need to come down slowly. On arnold press ive been swinging nd lifting it up like in the videos(meaning turning wrist as I lift up and turning back as I come down) and he said first turn the wrist then lift up. On rope pull downs he said dont turn your wrist when u flex down and just pull it down.

Now Ive genuienly gained strength on ALL the lifts. Have I wasted my time all this while?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 08:50 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Bad form can cause serious injuries. You can still gain muscle but you are also fostering bad habits that can cause you injury. Maybe hire a trainer to coach you on form.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:51 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Search for Athlean-X on youtube, lots of good videos on proper form.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Maintain both proper form and slow deliberate movement both up and down. Many people let the weight (gravity ) fall quickly, however the right form is to resist it on the downside. A constant speed up and down with resistance, that will fully work the muscles.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:38 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
1. learn the muscles first. Origin, insertion, function, optimal direction of action. Only then you can develop proper form, regardless of what anyone says, as you KNOW how muscle acts.
2. Use light weights, until you "get it'. That means, you learn how to initiate a muscle you want to exercise, feel it act, control it all through. You can't do this with heavy weights. this, usually, takes quite some time. And listening to YOUR body, no one else. As everyone is different. It's called concentration.

3. Every muscle has 3 types of contraction. Isometric, eccentric and concentric. You need to learn them too. Then, you will understand simple principle. If you REALLY want to exercise a muscle, you have to employ all three contraction types in one repetition. Simple example: biceps curl. You curl up on 1 second, to 90 degree elbow>hold for 2 seconds>release for 2 seconds. You just did concentric>isometric>eccentric contraction.

As far as you follow physiology and principles of functional anatomy, you will achieve good results. Also, you will be able to custom tailor your routines and executions to YOUR body, not to what someone else did as - we are all different. As what worked for Arnold may leave your damaged for the rest of your life.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:10 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I saw a guy at the gym the other day who was lifting those machine weights so fast that I really was tempted to say something to him but I'm sure he would not have taken it well. Every machine at my gyms says "lift the weight slowly". He was going at them like he had a train to catch.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I saw a guy at the gym the other day who was lifting those machine weights so fast that I really was tempted to say something to him but I'm sure he would not have taken it well. Every machine at my gyms says "lift the weight slowly". He was going at them like he had a train to catch.
I see that too. There are so many idiots out there that do stupid stuff.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:21 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Search for Athlean-X on youtube, lots of good videos on proper form.
Among the best out there, absolutely

Old 02-06-2019, 11:23 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Using heavy weight on machines is an injury waiting to happen. The exception is the leg press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness