Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 08:12 AM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I asked the Asst Mgr at LA Fitness, if something could be done in regards to phones and books. Meaning lengthy time sitting on machines 10 15 min texting reading books. I wasn't prepared for her response.

I told her I've been mouthed off to twice when I have tried to use equip at this gym. That I'm not comfortable asking if there going to finish soon.

She said her members are extreme fitness enthusiasts, and she can't tell them to get off their phones or books. That if I don't tell her who mouthed off she can't help. That perhaps today's gym atmosphere isn't for me.

I'm older and have worked out all my life, so gyms are not new to me. The thoughtless disrespect isn't something I take well.

I noticed this mgr could not relate to my saying not here to complain or report people. I'm asking to be responsive to people trying to get their workout in. Without waiting for people to finish their phone business. That the cardio says 20 min limit when busy. Why can't the weight area say the same. She said I was belittling her way of method of operations. Again stressing her members are the best and very into their workouts.

I felt like I had been told old man go home. We don't care if you have always worked out. This is how it is, and we don't care if your bothered by it. I told her I'm going home and so I did. I became very uncomfortable. Finding another gym isn't very easy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 08:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Essentially she is either unwilling or unable to manage the use of the gym. You probably need to find another place because she is highly unlikely to change....it is far too easy for her this way.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:49 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
You don't like the service and management of an establishment? Speak with your wallet and leave.

Other gyms not convenient? Then put up with it.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:57 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Most LA Fitness's are enormous. If you're waiting to do a chest exercise and some schlep is sitting on there texting away you have several options:

1) politely ask him/her if you can work in
2) politely ask how many more sets they're doing (this usually gives them the hint)
3) find another chest exercise, there are probably a few dozen other benches/machines/free weights that you could do rather than that one machine/bench this person is sitting on
4) get mgmt involved while this person is doing it, not after they've moved on
5) be really annoying and circle around them with the occasional stare/sigh

I would recommend #s 1-3 above. Life is simply too short for confrontations at the gym. In extreme circumstances where someone has been sitting doing nothing for 15+ minutes at a time, you certainly have every right to ask them to go text elsewhere but you're risking a confrontation by doing so.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:09 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Essentially she is either unwilling or unable to manage the use of the gym. You probably need to find another place because she is highly unlikely to change....it is far too easy for her this way.
yes, but everyone has a boss......maybe time to go over her head w/ complaints including posting on social media for others to chime in if its a problem that others can relate to......but finding another, less busy gym would be an option ----the more you pay, perhaps, the less crowded? (you get what you pay for)....

Old 03-03-2019, 09:18 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I simply go and ask - Hey, you using it to work out or to sit on it(using is as coat/bag rack?)? That sort of stabs them - but I am 6'4'' very large man. So that adds to effect.
Otherwise, I use LAF too. They have 20 min rule only for Stairmasters, posted. At least, in mine. And indeed, that is the place where folks just get glued to.
Seriously though, Florida gave you best advice. Simply do something else. Nothing will happen if you change order in your routine. Or, use something you didn't use before. Say, my gym is 2 story. So I use stairs instead of Stairmaster, with weights carried in my hands up and down. Actually works very well and is available always.

I safely assume, situations you describe do not happen all the time and, to be honest, a lot of this is your possessiveness and ego speaking. I want that, I have my rights, I... I...
I get it. I used to be that way too. Now I simply find substitute and be well with it. Inner burn does not bother me anymore.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:43 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Are you saying they are just sitting on the equipment scrolling or reading but not using the equipment? Because that should be a no-brainer.

"Perhaps today's gym atmosphere is not for you??!" She was telling you, in more than one way, that you should "go home, old man." That's really not acceptable.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:24 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Yeah, I'm not sure I am clear either.

Are the exercising or not? Also, most people take a 1 min break between sets to rest the muscles, and may be looking at their phones during that time.

But just being on the treadmill for an hour watching videos while you exercise is normally okay (some places have signs that limit use if it is busy).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-03-2019, 11:00 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure I am clear either.

Are the exercising or not? Also, most people take a 1 min break between sets to rest the muscles, and may be looking at their phones during that time.

But just being on the treadmill for an hour watching videos while you exercise is normally okay (some places have signs that limit use if it is busy).
OP say's he's gone to gyms for years so I'm pretty sure he understands the concept of "sets". And nobody cares if people are looking at their phones vs. a tv while doing cardio.

I see the same thing at my gym - people resting between sets for like 5 minutes - texting. Only a moron could sit for 5 minutes staring into space but phones have made it easy to be lazy. BTW, everyone knows you shouldn't be taking more than 60 seconds or so between sets unless you're lifting really heavy and I doubt those people are.

Also bad are the people who DON'T rest between sets but work between two machines, then get ticked when you get on "their" machine while they're on another. I'd love to say - ya gotta put a quarter down to hold a machine (like in the old days when you want a turn on the coin pool tables).

Short story, people are jerks. Is there another manager-type person to talk to at the gym? Can you try going at a slightly different time and see if the people are any better?

Old 03-03-2019, 11:03 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I don't know what would be the best thing for others to do in such situations, but for myself, I have never asked someone on an equipment how much longer they have or if I could get in a set. I may ask someone nearby if they are done with the machine or bench, but if I see someone using something, I go use something else as mentioned above. This is why it pays to be flexible when you go to the gym. One can bash machines all they want, but sometimes machines are all you can do as the squat rack and benches are all taken up. Fine by me.

I also try to go to the gym when it is least busiest, preferably very early in the morning. This way, less people and less potential headaches with inconsiderate folk.

Life is filled with people who go out of their way to make others miserable, so I do what I can to avoid these narcissists. These people are looking for conflict and drama, and just cannot wait for someone to raise an issue with what they are doing in the gym. Better to take the high road and avoid these fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness