Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 04:29 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am doing the grand tour of fitness places around where I live. I would like to get into better shape as well as find another spot to connect socially in my area if this is realistic. I am finding everything from classes where everyone hangs out and socializes before and after class to situations where people, mostly long-time members, come for the class and the class only, take off quickly the minute the class ends or they bring a friend and only speak to that friend or the instructor, not really welcoming to new people. Curious what other people' experiences have been, please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 05:28 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
In my experience? Very little connection, in fact, zero outside the gym itself. This includes memberships I've had at the commercial chain gyms and a couple more $$ independents.
Only two of the gyms I've belonged to have had noticeably unfriendly memberships (not hostile, just...gross?). Most have been fine. My current one is ideal as far as courteous, clean members.

But overall, at every place my experience has been: get in, work out, get out. Might be simply because I work out before work, early in the AM.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
In my experience? Very little connection, in fact, zero outside the gym itself. This includes memberships I've had at the commercial chain gyms and a couple more $$ independents.
Only two of the gyms I've belonged to have had noticeably unfriendly memberships (not hostile, just...gross?). Most have been fine. My current one is ideal as far as courteous, clean members.

But overall, at every place my experience has been: get in, work out, get out. Might be simply because I work out before work, early in the AM.
I workout in the evening. I have started weeding out the clubs that schedule wise cater to SAHM hours. I just don't like working out in the middle of the day.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:51 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
That "community" thing usually only happens at combat sports gyms and gyms that have a good core group of competitive type people like a Crossfit gym, a bodybuilding gym, etc.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:18 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Depends on how social of a person you are. At one gym I worked out at for many years I barely spoke to anyone and just kept my head down and worked out. This was one of those large, 24 hour corporate gyms. At another place that was smaller and locally owned, I became friends with the gym owner and was introduced to many of the gym's members, who became friends of mine and we went out socially outside of the gym. You make it what you want, in other words.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:18 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You make it what you want, in other words.
I agree with this; I've been a member of the same Planet Fitness for almost 4 years. I have a membership that lets me use other PF facilities as well and they ALL have nice people at the front desk. Some don't even ask to scan my card; they just check me in on the computer because they know who I am. Having said that- I go in, work out and leave; there's only one member I greet and know by name. I do see a lot of friends working out together but I've always been into solo workouts.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:28 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
It depends on the gym. I think YMCA's create a great sense of community. Smaller studios such as Kick Boxing or Orange Theory you get to know everyone that goes.

Larger gyms like 24 hour or Lifetime, not so much.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:35 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
YMCAs do. Several community fitness centers like the several I visited in Colorado last summer including some Golds seemed to bring people from different walks of life, including seniors together......it helps.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That "community" thing usually only happens at combat sports gyms and gyms that have a good core group of competitive type people like a Crossfit gym, a bodybuilding gym, etc.
I can't help but notice the friendlier vibe at Tai Chi studios than many of the Yoga studios I've visited.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny0071 View Post
please provide more details about this topic.
Fitness community I seek: preventive medicine and healthy lifestyle focused, not pseudo spiritual, friendly, non-competitive (not Cross-Fit), social and fitness activities outside the center would be a nice plus.

Tried and Tested (so far)

1. Smaller independent studio offering yoga, barre, some zumba, etc. – fun, unique class, friendly welcoming instructor, talked with some other class members after the class, seems preventive medicine focused but not too New Agey – will likely revisit
2. Fitness studio inside a private independently owned healthclub – group class, felt welcome by both instructor and members
3. Small chain owned fitness studio – group class, friendly instructors, competitive not so friendly long-time members – class was a little difficult for me and too pricey, so likely won't return.
4. Outdoor yoga led by instructor from small privately owned studio – loved class, left my name on instructor's email list for indoor classes, never was recontacted. Think they are looking for mommy & me clientele and determined I wasn't a good fit.
5. Smaller yoga studio – top notch instructors, noticeable improvement in my posture, somewhat New Agey and meditation focused, mostly 30ish but some middle aged (like me), students competing for attention of instructors and one woman in class getting into an argument with another because the other member took "her space" in class, tried to be friendly with other people in class but was not reciprocal.

Details – too much, too few??

Last edited by 495neighbor; 04-08-2019 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness