Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 02:50 PM

299 posts, read 162,278 times

Advertisements

Yep, I'm in it. Sorta.

I'm 46 yrs, 5'1" female. I have been on a continuous weight loss for almost 2.5 years now. I've lost around 32 lbs. at this point. I started at close to 170 and am now hovering at 138 give or take a pound.

I started my journey by walking/running outside. I did that until winter came, then bought a treadmill. Continued and added small dumbbells (plates). Added weight until I ran out, then last Christmas I got an olympic barbell and plates. I'm still slowly adding weight to the barbell and alternate treadmill incline walking/running days with different muscle days (legs, tris/bis, back, chest, etc.). Last month I did a 30 day ab challenge in addition. I very very rarely skip a workout day. It makes me feel better and I accomplish the day much better with exercise.

When I started the journey, I pretty much tossed out the idea of a diet and just tried to watch what I ate. But really, there are many days I eat whatever I want.

Until now. Dreaded weight loss plateau. No more dropping pounds. I do take measurements and I have lost some inches, but pretty much nothing in the last month or two.

Everything I read says to increase workouts or watch food, i.e. scale back on calories. But I'm TERRIBLE with food. I hate logging it. I do try in My Fitness Pal, but I hate it. And I HATE having to try to adhere to some kind of macro diet or no carb diet or whatever. I should say my husband is allergic to gluten so I rarely eat bread or pasta.

What should I do to lose more? I'm wanting to drop another 20 lbs. I was hoping to accomplish that in 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 03:43 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Make a habit out of logging your food intake. It's a chore but it will really help you understand just how much you are eating. No amount of exercise will help you lose weight if you are consuming too many calories.
No need to do any special diets or count macros and micros - just eat fresh foods. No junk, no fast, no prepackaged foods. Eat lots of veggies, lean proteins, whole grains (no baked goods), healthy fats, ...etc.

Once your diet is in order incorporate HIIT into your exercises. And start lifting heavier.

The weight comes off slower once you get near your goal. Also being a 46 year old woman doest help things either, (57 here).

Breaking through plateaus means shaking things up.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:50 PM

299 posts, read 162,278 times
Yep, food's my problem. I know it, I knew it, I know it still.

I've been logging religiously lately and I finally had that lightbulb moment. DUH.

My fitbit tells me how many cals I burned in a day. My Fitness Pal tells me total cals of what I ate. Subtract that and whalah. I better be in deficit.

I am 99% sure that has not been the case. I think I've gotten lax and allowed myself to eat all kinds of crap, lots of it, because I lost weight. I read some article that said it was common. Last night I had popcorn and tortilla chips but portioned it out. Felt good. Thanks...

Oh and weight I've increased quite a bit. HIIT most days when I do treadmill. I alternate that with weight.

Not gonna lie, I'm not a saint when it comes to eating clean. Or healthy. But I do try - I'm good at lunch time while at work. It's the weekends that are EVIL.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:55 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
"What should I do to lose more?"
take in less than you use.
in other words:
do not eat that.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:01 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyPet View Post
Yep, I'm in it. Sorta.
What should I do to lose more? I'm wanting to drop another 20 lbs. I was hoping to accomplish that in 2019.
I am sorry to say it you have only one choice. Eat more. I call this the "mega plateau" it has happened on every diet I have ever been on. The more I try to get below it, the more I boomerang back up. I think you have to temporarily (6 months) stop and eat more. Try not to gain and then start back on a diet again.

Once you start dieting your body naturally reduces your calorie expenditure because it feels you are starving. This not only causes less calories burned during the day but less calories burned when exercising. If my fitness pal says you burned 100 calories exercising, chances are you didn't. Your body has taken steps to be as efficient as possible and the 100 calories my fitness pal says you lost is for the "average".

The only solution is to eat more and get your body to realize that your are no longer starving.

Read about the Matador diet. Basically they found that losing weight all at once lead to a plateau and "mega" gain. People who dieted for 16 weeks straight, as opposed to 16 weeks over 32 weeks (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off) loss less and gained more on the same calories.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:08 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I am sorry to say it you have only one choice. Eat more. I call this the "mega plateau" it has happened on every diet I have ever been on. The more I try to get below it, the more I boomerang back up. I think you have to temporarily (6 months) stop and eat more. Try not to gain and then start back on a diet again.

Once you start dieting your body naturally reduces your calorie expenditure because it feels you are starving. This not only causes less calories burned during the day but less calories burned when exercising. If my fitness pal says you burned 100 calories exercising, chances are you didn't. Your body has taken steps to be as efficient as possible and the 100 calories my fitness pal says you lost is for the "average".

The only solution is to eat more and get your body to realize that your are no longer starving.

Read about the Matador diet. Basically they found that losing weight all at once lead to a plateau and "mega" gain. People who dieted for 16 weeks straight, as opposed to 16 weeks over 32 weeks (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off) loss less and gained more on the same calories.
Highly doubtful that she needs to eat more. Did you not read her post? And your body will let go of the fat if you eat at a deficit. The Matador Diet sounds like another cockamamie fad.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:38 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
Weight is lost in the kitchen, muscles are gained at the gym.

I'm sorry to tell you that it's all about the calories. You'll have to track your food intake, and make sure to eat a 500 calorie deficit from your TDEE (https://tdeecalculator.net) each day, for an average of 1 pound of weight loss each week.

I don't generally track exercise calories because they are often (wildly) wrong. I simply figure exercise into my activity level for a slightly higher calorie allowance.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-10-2019, 04:23 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Highly doubtful that she needs to eat more. Did you not read her post? And your body will let go of the fat if you eat at a deficit. The Matador Diet sounds like another cockamamie fad.
I did read her post did you? 2.5 years is a long time.

I don't think it is doubtful at all. It is exactly right. The Matador diet is based on a peer reviewed study out of Austrialia. Matador stands for ->> (Minimising Adaptive Thermogenesis And Deactivating Obesity Rebound)

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0918222235.htm

Your probably going to notice going forward more and more information trickling out that the typical way we diet, all at once, is the reason we are getting fat. It just slows the metabolism down and causes you to gain back plus more when you have reduced and reduced and reduced and can no longer sustain such small amounts of food.

This is the new wave in weight loss.

I have done the research and older "studies" that claimed that this didn't happen have bene proven to be wrong or flawed. So quietly, the nutritional field is embracing the fact that they have been wrong. I am just glad I am getting this information now, even though it is quite late.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:06 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
Change your thoughts about food.

Why would you let tiny taste buds that are not really responsible for that much of importance to our health (now that we have evolved to know what is poison and what is not) dictate what is correct consumption for all the really important organs? Weight loss aside, you are middle aged and so your liver, kidneys, et al, have been through a lot in the last 46 years. Time to pay more attention to them, to what really matters.

Metaphor: we probably don't want to run that last mile, go to work for 40+ hours per week (which is also not healthy, but different subject), get our teeth cleaned, etc, but we do, because it is right.

Do the RIGHT thing, and weight will follow suit

Old 04-11-2019, 06:39 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyPet View Post
Yep, I'm in it. Sorta.

I'm 46 yrs, 5'1" female. I have been on a continuous weight loss for almost 2.5 years now. I've lost around 32 lbs. at this point. I started at close to 170 and am now hovering at 138 give or take a pound.

I started my journey by walking/running outside. I did that until winter came, then bought a treadmill. Continued and added small dumbbells (plates). Added weight until I ran out, then last Christmas I got an olympic barbell and plates. I'm still slowly adding weight to the barbell and alternate treadmill incline walking/running days with different muscle days (legs, tris/bis, back, chest, etc.). Last month I did a 30 day ab challenge in addition. I very very rarely skip a workout day. It makes me feel better and I accomplish the day much better with exercise.

When I started the journey, I pretty much tossed out the idea of a diet and just tried to watch what I ate. But really, there are many days I eat whatever I want.

Until now. Dreaded weight loss plateau. No more dropping pounds. I do take measurements and I have lost some inches, but pretty much nothing in the last month or two.

Everything I read says to increase workouts or watch food, i.e. scale back on calories. But I'm TERRIBLE with food. I hate logging it. I do try in My Fitness Pal, but I hate it. And I HATE having to try to adhere to some kind of macro diet or no carb diet or whatever. I should say my husband is allergic to gluten so I rarely eat bread or pasta.

IMO,

Change up your caloric intake occasionally.

The body adapts as well as your metabolism.

Low, up high but clean, low, medium.

Refeed occasionally (with carbs).

Change eating times and schedule (with IF and/or, OMAD), and 3 meals, if you do that.

Change exercise: e.g,. Power - rep range - shock by Broser (Google it)

The body and metabolism adapt big-time to workouts and diet... If done repetitively without change-ups.

Trick the body, so it doesn't know what's coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness