Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 2,912 times

Advertisements

I have a herniated disk in my low back. I already do the 3 exercises recommended by Stuart McGill: curl-ups, side planks and bird dogs.

What other exercises/stretches do you guys do to prevent lower back pain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 10:15 AM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
Pilates
Yin yoga

Old 04-12-2019, 12:23 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitten View Post
I have a herniated disk in my low back. I already do the 3 exercises recommended by Stuart McGill: curl-ups, side planks and bird dogs.

I think the McGill exercises are good. Beyond that I would try to be as active as possible. I was scheduled for surgery after a period of intense pain that kept me awake all night. The surgeon had me do physical therapy the date of the surgery and I started out by walking/running on the treadmill. I started running outside and pushed through the pain and it gradually went away. I ended up cancelling the surgery and have not had any further problems.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:32 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
I also have a herniated disc (L5-S1) with S1 nerve root compression that causing a lot of leg pain and am scheduled for surgery on May 1st. Been dealing with it for many months and have tried multiple non surgical interventions without success, including PT (that was the first thing recommended, in fact).

What they focused on at PT, and what I have continued at home (in addition to continuing at the gym 4X per week), are primarily stretches, core strengthening and spine stabilizing exercises. This is what I do every day at home, for instance (forgive me in advance if I don't call them by their correct names). It takes me about 35-40 minutes. I've made it part of my daily routine, and I've built up a lot more core strength, which will hopefully help me post op:

Cat and camel
The Superman
A lumbar stretch that I just refer to as the McKenzie exercise
Wag the Dog
Sciatic nerve glides while supine
Piriformis stretch while supine
Clamshell exercises (abductors)
Adductors
Bridges with alternate legs
Prone hip extension
Lateral walks with a medium tension band
Full planks (I do 4 at 60 seconds) Or some other variation like bird dogs.
Side planks (I do 3 on either side for 60 seconds). Sometimes I'll do scissor planks.
Dead bug

Old 04-12-2019, 05:57 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Ice is good to reduce back pain and it definitely reduces swelling. My back (lower back) has damaged discs from years of abuse and the best thing I’ve been able to do to relieve pain and maintain a mobility is to do crunches every day on an exercise ball. Before and after the crunches ( and I’m only doing a dozen reps) is to stretch and hyperextend on the ball.

If I do this every day or every other day, I have Zero back issues.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:52 PM

680 posts, read 535,002 times
Surgery should be a last resort. Minimize sitting, laying in bed. Stay active, walk, do exercises/stretches that are beneficial. Strengthen your core and that will take stress off your back! Lose weight, maintain a healthy weight. Lift properly, don't bend, lift, or twist in a way that strains your back. Do the stretches everyday that people mentioned above, there's a lot of good Youtube videos highlighting stretches for back pain.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:10 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Pilates is very hard to do, I’ve been through this class 3 times and each time I never finished completely. Yoga is easier.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:36 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:

I was told to do pelvic tilts flat on my back with my knees bent. It’s hard to describe how to do them but it’s basically like your trying to elevate your genital area without using your stomach muscles. I keep my fingers pushed into my stomach to make sure I’m using other muscles. There are some stretches that would probably help too. If you search the web for exercise for lower back pain you can get a ton of useful suggestions/videos etc. and it’s easy to see which are the most commonly suggested.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:50 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:

Listen to this.

How to Fix a Bulging Disc (NO SURGERY!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SKuFe2SERs

Old 04-14-2019, 07:43 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
Walking is pretty good for herniated disks. Try to avoid sitting for too long if you can. I only do yoga at home because I can't twist or do a lot of the stretches in yoga classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness