Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:12 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I don't know where you heard this but it is flat out wrong. What you are saying is simply a myth probably spread from one martial artist to another in your social circle.
Sorry to disappoint you mbuszu but you are absolutely dead wrong. Try talking to a real martial artist instead of a MMA guy and you'll get the real deal. I've been involved in boxing and martial arts my entire life and any boxing trainer who is even remotely halfway decent will tell you that boxers are urged to NOT build huge bicepts. Why? Because huge bicepts greatly hinders force transfer (i.e, power).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:54 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Sorry to disappoint you mbuszu but you are absolutely dead wrong. Try talking to a real martial artist instead of a MMA guy and you'll get the real deal. I've been involved in boxing and martial arts my entire life and any boxing trainer who is even remotely halfway decent will tell you that boxers are urged to NOT build huge bicepts. Why? Because huge bicepts greatly hinders force transfer (i.e, power).
I'll just agree to disagree with you on the grounds that I can name many direct examples where old-timer advice regarding weight-training having adverse or negative effects on an athlete's performance having been proven wrong. I can also point you and others to current exercise science research results which scientifically validate the performance increases you now see in the top athletes of all sports today, athletes who weight-train without concern of "tightening up", "losing their flexibility", "losing their coordination", nor "losing speed" despite outdated conventional wisdom.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
I agree with you 100% on all that you said in your post. However, its only huge bicepts that I am talking about that hinders punching power/transfer of force.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 AM

69 posts, read 239,929 times
Doing curls is probably one of the least productive things you could do during a weight training workout. I mean, unless you wanna be bicep joe. Pullup variety, rows, and pulldowns are all gonna work your arms. A few sets of curls can be thrown in if you want extra arm work. Any variation will probably lead to a better response. Hammer curls actually work the brachioradialis and brachialis muscles more so than regular curls. That will beef up the forearms a bit and increase grip strength which is always good. Overall, the focus should be on multi-joint compound movements such as deadlifts, squats, pullupos, dips, benches and rows. All in good form of course....

Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 PM

323 posts, read 2,089,564 times
I've always done regular curls followed by hammer's during a bicep workout.
Hammer curls develop the muscle behind the bicep( I forgot the name) more than regular curls

Old 07-30-2010, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,363 times
i do hammer curls every time i work my arms. i usually do 4 to 5 sets of 8 to 10 reps but use really heavy weight. somewhere around 100 to 130 pounds.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
If you're counting on getting punching power from the arms, then you will have no punching power.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:20 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptdudeboston View Post
Doing curls is probably one of the least productive things you could do during a weight training workout. I mean, unless you wanna be bicep joe. Pullup variety, rows, and pulldowns are all gonna work your arms. A few sets of curls can be thrown in if you want extra arm work. Any variation will probably lead to a better response. Hammer curls actually work the brachioradialis and brachialis muscles more so than regular curls. That will beef up the forearms a bit and increase grip strength which is always good. Overall, the focus should be on multi-joint compound movements such as deadlifts, squats, pullupos, dips, benches and rows. All in good form of course....
+1...I completely agree. I haven't done any cosmetic arm exercises in about three or four years, and my arms continue to grow because they get enough work from only performing multi-joint compound lifts.

If you want punching power, you work with bands.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:04 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmc25 View Post
i do hammer curls every time i work my arms. i usually do 4 to 5 sets of 8 to 10 reps but use really heavy weight. somewhere around 100 to 130 pounds.
Only 100 to 130? Why so little weight?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
It's old but this is a really good thread. I learned a couple things, very useful for me. Thumbs up everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness