Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 11:43 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,139 times

Advertisements

so been a B.Builder since I was 18 (30s now) and I am starting to see myself slow down, whether it is pain or energy. I can still lift heavy but my biggest issue is squats.

I can not squat heavy anymore and I hate cardio as well...so I figured what about squatting for as much as I can for 1 min straight and doing 30 - 40 mins of that.

eventually I want to throw in 45 plates, but just the bar alone killed me (cardio and burning sensation wise). my legs are actually sore!!!

Wondering about your thoughts? also, I am wondering if it is possible to get bigger quads this way. I used to have large quads, but def went down in size since I stopped doing legs. Ive read in a article that very high reps and any kind of hard stress on your quads will definitely grow them regardless of weight or reps but articles are showing high reps really shock your leg muscles the most. thoughts?

as of now, my only cardio is dirtbikes and squatting for as much as you can for 1 min for 30 - 40mins in total.
everything else I can still lift fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
As a replacement for cardio? Nope.

You are a body builder? Then come on now, you know it is not always about the love or hate, but doing what needs to be done.

If cardio really drives you nuts, perhaps take up a combat sport, so you get some training and cardio, which keeps the cardio pretty entertaining. BJJ is pretty cardio intense, MT, Boxing also.

If you just do not want to run mindlessly for 30-60 minutes, understand, find something entertaining to do that is cardio intensive.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:04 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
8 Reasons Why Squatting Is Better Than Running

WEIGHTLIFTING VS. CARDIO: WHICH IS BETTER FOR FAT LOSS?

Old 05-07-2019, 12:10 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,459,686 times
Our trainer had us do high rep squats and leg presses. Mixed in with heavy work on other days. We would do 100 rep squats and a leg press routine that was moderate weight - 50 reps -rest a few secs-40 reps -rest a few seconds- 30-20-10.

The most intense one was the partial partial fulls - like doing 21's arm curls. For a (1) rep you would go low from lower calve to knee level 10 times, then high from standing straight up to knee level 10 times then full squat 10 times. That is one rep (30 up and downs ). You are going to do a total of 10 times (300 reps total) of these in a row for one round (set). Work up to 4 rounds (sets) and you will be breathing like you are doing full on sprints. For you, you might want to start with 25 pound plates. I got blasted for posting this here a year or so ago but we did these on the smith machine because your legs start trembling and you lose stability. But they will grow and you will get plenty of cardio. Your lungs and legs will be on fire. It is best to work with partners. We had 4 in our group. We worked 4 rounds of 10 reps (again 1 rep = 30 squats)each of the partial partials. You needed the rest that the other people provided when they did their sets. 4 rounds (sets) was the entire squat workout. You always wanted to be first when these were on that workout plan. It took a long time to do these and they were reserved as a once in awhile treat. But we were competing. The trainer never did that with the normal clients.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:29 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
As a replacement for cardio? Nope.

You are a body builder? Then come on now, you know it is not always about the love or hate, but doing what needs to be done.

If cardio really drives you nuts, perhaps take up a combat sport, so you get some training and cardio, which keeps the cardio pretty entertaining. BJJ is pretty cardio intense, MT, Boxing also.

If you just do not want to run mindlessly for 30-60 minutes, understand, find something entertaining to do that is cardio intensive.
i used to do cardio but replaced it for dirtbike riding. I lift weights early before heading out so I dont got much time lol....let me rephrase that ha ha I rather dirtbike which burns about 500 calories an hour.

but still I feel like I need more stanima for dirtbiking, so I was thinking of squatting 1 min non stop...which i feel is much more tiring than jogging or something. but I am not sure if its beneficial as say actually running. I am not into the competitive scene shows any more but I still want to maintain my shape but I want to be more in the healthy side now and just have more stamina.

soo this is what I recall.

squatting for as much as i can for 1 min straight for 30 mins killed me much more quickly than jogging for 30 mins.
BUT does it offer the same health benefits as jogging/running?

Old 05-07-2019, 01:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
I would not do this as a *replacement* for cardio, I would add this into your standard leg routine as a light weight/high rep day. This type of training is key to growth as you're constantly shocking your muscles into growth.

I don't love cardio either but I put my headphones on, watch TV or listen to some good music and walk very fast (or do the stationary bike) for 20-30 mins on top of lifting. It's not terrible and I don't hate it, just a normal part of the routine eventually.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:20 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
i used to do cardio but replaced it for dirtbike riding. I lift weights early before heading out so I dont got much time lol....let me rephrase that ha ha I rather dirtbike which burns about 500 calories an hour.

but still I feel like I need more stanima for dirtbiking, so I was thinking of squatting 1 min non stop...which i feel is much more tiring than jogging or something. but I am not sure if its beneficial as say actually running. I am not into the competitive scene shows any more but I still want to maintain my shape but I want to be more in the healthy side now and just have more stamina.

squatting for as much as i can for 1 min straight for 30 mins killed me much more quickly than jogging for 30 mins.

8 Reasons Why Squatting Is Better Than Running

Old 05-07-2019, 02:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
No. It won't give you the endurance you want for motorcycling. The major health benefit of running/cardio is your heart. Squatting doesn't do that nearly as well as running or swimming.
The endurance is something different. But again hard cardio is much, much more beneficial than lifting.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:42 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Can you really ask whether 1 minute of squats is equivalent to an hour's run, for cardiovascular fitness?

Old 05-07-2019, 03:29 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:

Not likely. If you're racing motocross, sure. Moto isn't really cardio though. It's very, very heavily anaerobic which is why moto racers are basically pegged at near maximum heart rate for the majority of a race. On the other hand if you're just riding around in fire roads it's probably more like 100.

But then 500ish is just not a lot. It's just the nature of the exercise. It's the opposite of steady state. Back when I was cycling I could burn close to 1,200, even now in pretty bad shape 800 wouldn't be puke bucket hard. That's a much more accurate number than you'd get from motocross as there's a power meter measuring the power I'm putting out on a bike. I could do a steady 330 watts for an hour. I couldn't do three 1,320 5-second surges a minute for an hour. More like a minute or two. Motocross is a lot more like those 5-second surges which why it's so low. But you're not a professional motocross racer anymore than I'm Bradley Wiggins whose hour record is more like 1,500 calories... and on time trial bike which nobody can put as much down on those as a regular road bike.

Squatting non stop just depends how slowly you're doing squats. Most people can't do two minutes of air squats. Partly it's muscular endurance (just not muscles that get used repetitively that often). Mostly it's that it's actually very intense work. You could get all physics nerd but most people running aren't moving much vertically and the laterally vector isn't much.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-07-2019 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness