Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 02:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

Hello

I have been exercising now for about five years. As of last year I have reduced my routines. I now do weight type exercises twice a week and jog once a week. All the other days I walk about 3 miles just for an activity. However I recently checked my vitals and this is what was shown. I notice I get light headed initially when standing up from sitting/laying down for a while. Could my low blood pressure be an issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Too low blood pressure and heart rate?-1ed4a4de-1125-4351-9014-8a9783755bc3.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 03:04 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
I'm 66 and do daily cardio workouts; my BP last time it was checked was 110/69, pulse 62. So, yours are a bit lower than mine. I do have to watch getting up to quickly from sitting and standing, especially after donating blood products. (It has to be a min of 100/60 for donation.) My Uncle was a marathon runner and his heart rate was 42, but I say "was" because he died of a heart attack at 42 so those stats, while excellent by many measures, are no guarantee of anything.

I consider myself lucky; my mother was also very active but fought high BP once she hit menopause.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:36 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
A BP reading that low can definitely make you lightheaded when going from sitting to standing.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:58 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
43 is a pretty low pulse rate, even for an athlete.

What app did you use to get the BP/Pulse rate? I have a Fitbit Blaze and it does heart rate but I've not seen an app or device that can do blood pressure (without using a pressure cuff).

Old 05-13-2019, 05:16 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Hello

I have been exercising now for about five years. As of last year I have reduced my routines. I now do weight type exercises twice a week and jog once a week. All the other days I walk about 3 miles just for an activity. However I recently checked my vitals and this is what was shown. I notice I get light headed initially when standing up from sitting/laying down for a while. Could my low blood pressure be an issue?
You're bradycardic. If your BP is low, the heart usually compensates by increasing the heart rate/pulse rate. I'm surprised to see both vitals down. My initial recommendation would be to make sure you're very well hydrated. That could have caused the lightheadedness when standing from sitting/laying. But that heart rate is concerning to me. Very good athletes have a very low rate, but from your history (although you exercise, it's not by any standard extreme) - I'd definitely get it checked out. Keep written track of your daily vitals to share w/ your MD. If you'r eon any meds, they'll need to be adjusted most likely.

Also:
Vitals like that should be repeated soon after because sometimes they're not accurate. I'd retake them whenever you get a low (or high reading) just in case there is a machine error.

I'd expect that your MD would double check vitals, check your labs/electrolytes, do an EKG, possibly place you on a holter monitor.....not sure about a treadmill unless you have some other worrisome symptoms. Some people are placed on pacemakers if there is chronic bradycardia producing symptoms.....

Old 05-13-2019, 06:17 PM

36 posts, read 26,028 times
Yup,it's called orthostatic hypotension,get up slowly and sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes with your legs dangling.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
43 is a pretty low pulse rate, even for an athlete.

What app did you use to get the BP/Pulse rate? I have a Fitbit Blaze and it does heart rate but I've not seen an app or device that can do blood pressure (without using a pressure cuff).
I did it at the grocery store using one of their machines.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
You're bradycardic. If your BP is low, the heart usually compensates by increasing the heart rate/pulse rate. I'm surprised to see both vitals down. My initial recommendation would be to make sure you're very well hydrated. That could have caused the lightheadedness when standing from sitting/laying. But that heart rate is concerning to me. Very good athletes have a very low rate, but from your history (although you exercise, it's not by any standard extreme) - I'd definitely get it checked out. Keep written track of your daily vitals to share w/ your MD. If you'r eon any meds, they'll need to be adjusted most likely.

Also:
Vitals like that should be repeated soon after because sometimes they're not accurate. I'd retake them whenever you get a low (or high reading) just in case there is a machine error.

I'd expect that your MD would double check vitals, check your labs/electrolytes, do an EKG, possibly place you on a holter monitor.....not sure about a treadmill unless you have some other worrisome symptoms. Some people are placed on pacemakers if there is chronic bradycardia producing symptoms.....
I drink about 100 oz of water a day. I have had an EKG and get a physical for a medical cert required for my job - however when I go there my vitals are highly elevated - higher heart rate and BP over 120 (I am quite nervous and we are walking in/out of the rooms). When I use machines at pharmacies or grocery stores they are much more in line with the results shown above - although this was the first time my heart rate was so low. Normally it's in the low 50's. Maybe they are all inaccurate?

My EKG a few years ago showed a thick heart muscle - something I was very concerned with - so I drastically cut back exercising. I have learned it can be due to having a high heart rate and overweight but I am the opposite and might have something called "athlete's heart". I have not had an EKG since reducing my exercising routine.

For exercising I jog once a week at 22 mins/3 miles. I would characterize my strength/body weight training as moderately intense at best. I am not doing HIIT workouts by any stretch.

That's a good idea to repeat and redo the tests. I'll do two or three and take the average next time.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:37 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Based on the progression of this thread, I'd wager that you're fine.

As stated, resting HR of 43 is lower than any patient I've ever had in the last decade who was okay. That said, it may just be an aberrant reading, motor on. It sounds like you've been checked out decently. Still, maybe see your physician for reassurance.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Check your pulse on your own...Easy enough to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness