Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 02:10 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I do lift at my max every day, but only one of my exercises. The rest I stick to 8-12 reps per set.
I rarely do more than 8 reps on any compound exercise. What's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 03:44 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
I mostly train for stamina. I do a lot of cardio. My profession requires me to be able to run while wearing a lot of equipment and engage in extended periods of exertion while maintaining strength whenever necessary.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-31-2019, 03:55 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
What "product" are you using? There are many good post workout products out there. I've used many and all have worked well, I rarely if ever get sore. Ones I've tried off the top of my head are Post Jym, Re-Kaged, Universal Torrent and of course a plain old protein shake will do the trick in a pinch.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:17 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Evolution Nutrition Recover Mode.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-31-2019, 05:24 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,265 times
I'm 52 and have been working out most all of my adult life. But now, recovery is a very serious topic and one that I'm trying to figure out myself. Here is what I know, and do so far....

- I take regular Amino Acids and not BCAA. For no real particular reason other than I read somewhere that BCAA's were lacking something that regular Amino's had. I am absolutely not opposed to BCAA though and might give them a try to see if I can feel a difference.

- Zinc! Zinc is supposedly a powerful antioxidant that helps with regeneration. And sure enough if I run out of it and forget to pick some up for a few days I can feel a difference. It's subtle, but it's there.

- Magnesium is another antioxidant that somehow relaxes the muscles, which aids recovery. The sleep that comes from taking it is amazing.. It is deep and filled with vivid - and sometimes bizarre dreams.

- Mega Men multivitamin from GNC. Can't tell if it helps, but it can't hurt..

But.. the main thing I've found that helps me is protein. Cut down on carbs, and up the protein - like three eggs and one piece on toast for breakfast instead of two eggs and two pieces of toast, etc. I'm not always successful at this, and when I'm not I can really tell. Likewise when I am I can tell it too.

Also, you're at that age to start thinking about having your Testosterone checked.. Not saying you need to do a cycle of steroids, but see a doctor and see if you might be a little low. I've been on TRT for ~10 years now and I'm healthier, stronger, and in better shape than I was when I was 40.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
I'm 52 and have been working out most all of my adult life. But now, recovery is a very serious topic and one that I'm trying to figure out myself. Here is what I know, and do so far....

- I take regular Amino Acids and not BCAA. For no real particular reason other than I read somewhere that BCAA's were lacking something that regular Amino's had. I am absolutely not opposed to BCAA though and might give them a try to see if I can feel a difference.

- Zinc! Zinc is supposedly a powerful antioxidant that helps with regeneration. And sure enough if I run out of it and forget to pick some up for a few days I can feel a difference. It's subtle, but it's there.

- Magnesium is another antioxidant that somehow relaxes the muscles, which aids recovery. The sleep that comes from taking it is amazing.. It is deep and filled with vivid - and sometimes bizarre dreams.

- Mega Men multivitamin from GNC. Can't tell if it helps, but it can't hurt..

But.. the main thing I've found that helps me is protein. Cut down on carbs, and up the protein - like three eggs and one piece on toast for breakfast instead of two eggs and two pieces of toast, etc. I'm not always successful at this, and when I'm not I can really tell. Likewise when I am I can tell it too.

Also, you're at that age to start thinking about having your Testosterone checked.. Not saying you need to do a cycle of steroids, but see a doctor and see if you might be a little low. I've been on TRT for ~10 years now and I'm healthier, stronger, and in better shape than I was when I was 40.

Fifteen years ago antioxidants were being promoted for recovery. I was both running races and lifting weights, and looking for ways to train harder. There were many antioxidants being advertised in running magazines for recovery. I was in my late 40s/early 50s and tried a lot of supplements to aid recovery. It may have been counter productive. The thinking on antioxidants has now changed and many people now say that antioxidants appear to hinder some physiological and physical exercise-induced adaptations. See https://examine.com/nutrition/antiox...scle-building/

Here are some other research related articles on this topic:

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/feature...-exercise.aspx

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Ex...hProfessional/

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/F...y_from.33.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29238948

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...nt-supplements

Old 06-02-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Fifteen years ago antioxidants were being promoted for recovery. I was both running races and lifting weights, and looking for ways to train harder. There were many antioxidants being advertised in running magazines for recovery. I was in my late 40s/early 50s and tried a lot of supplements to aid recovery. It may have been counter productive. The thinking on antioxidants has now changed and many people now say that antioxidants appear to hinder some physiological and physical exercise-induced adaptations. See https://examine.com/nutrition/antiox...scle-building/

Here are some other research related articles on this topic:

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/feature...-exercise.aspx

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Ex...hProfessional/

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/F...y_from.33.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29238948

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...nt-supplements
Ok... he said-she said. Congrats.

I don't go by the latest article, but rather how I feel when taking something. See above where I said magnesium caused me to sleep deeply (sleep = recovery), and how I felt it when I was out of zinc for a few days? See where I said I couldn't tell if the multivitamin did anything to help? See where I said I might try BCAA and see if it makes a difference over regular aminos?

Yeah, me too.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Ok... he said-she said. Congrats.

I don't go by the latest article, but rather how I feel when taking something. See above where I said magnesium caused me to sleep deeply (sleep = recovery), and how I felt it when I was out of zinc for a few days? See where I said I couldn't tell if the multivitamin did anything to help? See where I said I might try BCAA and see if it makes a difference over regular aminos?

Yeah, me too.

I understand your experience. When I was taking the antioxidants I was convinced they were helping my recovery. I started thinking I could not train as hard without them.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I understand your experience. When I was taking the antioxidants I was convinced they were helping my recovery. I started thinking I could not train as hard without them.
So..... did they help?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:10 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I mostly train for stamina. I do a lot of cardio. My profession requires me to be able to run while wearing a lot of equipment and engage in extended periods of exertion while maintaining strength whenever necessary.
I'm not sure what line of work you are in exactly(i assume military because of your SN), but I'm a wildland firefighter so this post of yours is true with this line of work. Honest, I would quite lifting at max that many days of the week. Ive been on a program for 5 months now called Tactical Barbell and I wish I would have found it years ago. It was written by a former Paratrooper and FBI Hostage Rescue Team member and is designed for the tactical types(LEO, military, fire, etc) in mind. The core of the program is a conditioning program book and strength program book(he also has a few others with different goals in mind but these are what most people follow). Kindle versions run I think 10 bucks each, but I wanted the physical books which were 25 a piece, and they were worth every penny. The basis of the strength is sub maximal lifting. The whole point of the program is being able to lift to get stronger, condition to get faster, more explosive, more aerobic capacity, etc, but do it in a way that you're not spent at the end of a session to where you would have a harder time performing your duty if need be. This is why it's gained a big following in the tactical circles. Ive been on many programs through the years, some good and some not worth it, but I dont see myself looking for anything else. This past prescribed burn season was my first since starting the program and I felt amazing, all the while getting in better shape and getting stronger.

Right now my recovery supps are magnesium and CBD oil(some dont see anything from it, but I definitely have), and just proper nutrition. Good sleep too, which I sometimes struggle with. Someone in here said 8-9 hours, but that's a myth. I function the best on no more than 7 hours. I even know people that do well on 5 or 6 and some require 9 or 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness