Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 12:14 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
ok so I made a post previously and after reading some of the feedback, seems running or jogging is best for my health.

keep in mind the following

- I want to maintain my muscle mass (if possible)
- would like more endurance for dirtbiking
- and be overall healthier ... heart and stuff.

so I decided I am going to trail run or jog? or mountain bike?. whatever you guys think is better for my circumstances.

a bit about me

220lb bodybuilder
dirtbiker
get winded easy for now lol
Being a serious runner for 30+ years, an easy run about 3 miles every other day or 4x a week would be good. It's all about good running shoes. Not sure where you're located but find a good running store that will help you find the best shoe for you. Leave the watch at home. And the music/headphones. It's not about speed. Find a good rail trail and go out 1.5 miles and back 1.5 miles. Take your time and build up your confidence. Enjoy the outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 05:57 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
Speaking of running....moderation is best. Forget worrying about those 5-7 min mile paces. And better watch out for those distances (short of time, advance vid to about the 13 min mark for key point).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6U728AZnV0

Last edited by TBMorgan; 07-07-2019 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 12:08 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Video above said 10-15 miles a week is ideal, over 25 miles longevity benefits go away.

Faster pace than 7:30 also not beneficial. Interesting.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
laugh all you want: jog backwards.
for me, it results in higher cardio than going forwards (i daydream in forward gear).
and...if it does not work for you, it did not cost anything but time to try.
Really? I would probably kill myself. You must be a lot more graceful and less clumsy than me. WOW!

But then again, I have also been known to trip on air.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:29 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
what about stationary bike? did that today for 30 mins mixed with high resistance and low resistance...was pretty tiring

If you want to really tire yourself out on an exercise bike, try a Schwinn Airdyne. You use both arms and legs and that will build up your endurance better than just using either arms or legs by themselves. To go faster, you have to push against an exponentially-increasing resistance from the spinning airvane. You get a good demonstration about why it takes so much more fuel to make an airplane go faster. You don't see many people watching TV or reading a book, when working out on an Airdyne.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Being a serious runner for 30+ years, an easy run about 3 miles every other day or 4x a week would be good. It's all about good running shoes. Not sure where you're located but find a good running store that will help you find the best shoe for you. Leave the watch at home. And the music/headphones. It's not about speed. Find a good rail trail and go out 1.5 miles and back 1.5 miles. Take your time and build up your confidence. Enjoy the outdoors.
outstanding advice - we are too concerned about pace ....if you're in it for fitness/health, best to keep the HR in a certain range (aerobic) for a certain length of time and this can be accomplished at slower paced speeds

Old 07-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Video above said 10-15 miles a week is ideal, over 25 miles longevity benefits go away.

Faster pace than 7:30 also not beneficial. Interesting.
glad someone watched it - wonder what the general consensus with other cardiologists might be on his recommendations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness