Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 03:16 AM

3 posts, read 1,331 times

Advertisements

If you are in a bar and a women smiles at you of course it is appropriate to ask her if she would like a drink. In a gym this guy is a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 11:38 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i cant really fault a guy for trying.
I agree but I’m told I’m naive

I remember one guy who used to call me Lady Godiva ... So I blushed; it didn’t kill me. There was one guy who blew me away; Mr. Yellow Power Tie in his impeccable suit, downtown at the Y.

I was 19 & 9 months pregnant with #2, just finished my pre-natal water aerobics class & I was waiting outside on the sidewalk wearing a mu-mu, of all things. No makeup & soaking wet from my always too-long mop of hair.

He walked up to me & told me I was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen! Gosh I needed that ... When men compliment me; I take it as a compliment. It makes me smile. It’s not scary.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:16 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supplytech View Post
If you are in a bar and a women smiles at you of course it is appropriate to ask her if she would like a drink. In a gym this guy is a jerk.
the gym is like a nunnery to some of the posters here - how dare a man have the nerve make conversation with a pretty girl at the gym.....and possibly ask her for her phone number so they can continue communicating.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:20 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I agree but I’m told I’m naive

I remember one guy who used to call me Lady Godiva ... So I blushed; it didn’t kill me. There was one guy who blew me away; Mr. Yellow Power Tie in his impeccable suit, downtown at the Y.

I was 19 & 9 months pregnant with #2, just finished my pre-natal water aerobics class & I was waiting outside on the sidewalk wearing a mu-mu, of all things. No makeup & soaking wet from my always too-long mop of hair.

He walked up to me & told me I was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen! Gosh I needed that ... When men compliment me; I take it as a compliment. It makes me smile. It’s not scary.
It's tempting to do - thank a woman for taking the time to improve the environs with her attractiveness - never have done it fearing it would come across as a move, but I'm sure they work their tails off to keep weight off and get in great shape ---I bet they'd appreciate the compliment for their hard work and self discipline.

Several months ago I had a young lady about half my age walking past me and compliment my legs (I run and lift and do a ton of workouts for the legs) and she doesn't know how much I appreciated that someone noticed - I have worked hard from head to toe - no one notices but some random stranger who said something.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:03 PM

4,949 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Haven't asked for a number in 2 years, as the last fitness model I did turned out to be the married to the chief of police.
She was the out-going type, and not wearing the rubber band to replace the ring.
I now consider the gym off-limits for dating.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:03 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedGuy777 View Post
I happen to notice when I go to the gym out of a whole group of people there will be one guy who asks a few of the girls for their numbers, is this socially acceptable or are they trying to get someone in trouble

Is it okay to just walk up to a girl in the gym and ask her for her number ?
I personally wouldn't recommend it. But then again, I'm kind of an introvert. I just assume women are in the gym to get their work out. Then again, I also assume that women go to grocery stores to shop and other recommended places for getting numbers to do what the primary object of that place is for.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHLUV View Post
You never lie in that statement! I personally would have to get some STRONG choosing signals to even think about it instead of concentrating on my workout...
I'm pretty similar. I'm gonna be pretty much into my workout, it would take one heck of a signal to get me to break my flow and interact.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I know why women think it's creepy.

"Yes, I'm know I'm wearing a skin tight top and tights, and you can see my @ss and boobs bouncing up and down while I run on the treadmill, so of course I'm not just going to give you my number, because that makes me easy."

However, women should be more open to it, or at least talking to guys who try and strike up a conversation.

A common link has already been established, in both people like to work out and value fitness, and that's already knocking out a good amount of people who don't do that.

If it's somebody who goes regularly and is into the same exercise regimen, then it's more so.
Why "should" they be open to talking to guys who want to have a conversation in the gym? What entitles us to a woman's attention...in a gym? She's trying to take care of herself and maintain if not improve her health, and we just running around in the gym with our in our hands? With our beer gut and tiny noodle tyrannosaurus rex arms? And a TRIPLE chin? No wonder I get shot down. I need to lose some weight. LOL!!!

Old 07-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
This topic has gotten silly. Folks worried about meeting people or appearing stuck up at the gym.

Working out is a simple process. You go to the gym. Set some goals or get a trainer. Work out and then go home or run errands. Sometimes you meet people and sometimes you don't. It is that easy. Like going to the grocery store to get food or the library to get a book. Mr or Ms Right might be just around the corner.

I don't wear skin tight tanks or tops nor do most of the girls I know. Too easy to have a mishap if you are training seriously and it feels uncomfortable and makes you feel like you are showing off (besides I train early am now and there could be that predator out in the parking lot - and I am married - not there to be cute). Always done a t shirt and rolled up yoga pants both on the baggy side. But creepers have happened on and off throughout my training life. Just like creepers appear at the grocery store, library or wherever. It is just crazy annoying at the gym when you are trying to get your workout in and get out of there without some velcro guy in the area following you around.
Don't get me started on creepers at the library... And creepers can take it past annoying to disturbing.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
I believe that single men should approach women in the gym and try to find dates there. I have done it at times when I have been single and looking.

At the gym, there is a lot of earbud wearing women. Ignore that. If a woman is wearing earbuds and attractive, approach her. Almost all attractive women are wearing earbuds in the gym now, so it is silly to not approach those women because selection will diminish dramatically.

One workaround to the earbud issue is going to fitness classes. There are a variety of classes that can be attended from yoga, to interval training, to boxing/kickboxing, and so on. Almost all of these classes are majority female, which beats the ratios at any bars or nightclubs.

In any gym or fitness class approach, an approach should start with an engaging observation, asking some questions about her and fitness, and then seeing if the two of you have some commonality that would warrant going to a bar for drinks for 1+ hours.

The best piece of advice that I can give to anyone interested in doing gym pickup is to get a secondary gym membership and only use that secondary gym for approaching, keeping the primary gym free of any potential uncomfortable situations that may arise from a failed pickup attempt. Classpass is the perfect solution for this. Classpass is an app that allows you to go to as many gym classes/studios as possible, so long as they participate in Classpass. Classpass was originally designed for women wanting to take different classes from different studios, but it is perfect for single guys who want to show up at a place, hit on some women, see what comes of it, and not repeat much at a place. Classpass would enable a guy to treat gyms like the bar scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness