Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I can attest to sugary drinks and weight gain.

I only drink water and green tea, no sugar. I may have an occasional 20oz Coke one day over the weekend.
About 6 months ago, my department moved to a new office that has 2 coffee shops. I started having a medium chai tea latte with whole milk everyday. Sometimes even a large. I didn’t change anything else in my diet. If anything, I walked a little more as my office is located on a huge campus so I have a walk a ways to get to the eateries.. I gained 3-5 pounds over the course of a month. I stopped drinking the lattes and lost the weight.

Those lattes were really good, though. I still have one occasionally. Certainly not everyday.
Yes, the lattes are very dangerous. I'm convinced my belly fat is due mainly to the free lattes I was guzzling down several times a day at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 08:34 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
(Non-diet) soda is liquid sugar.

But a lot of overweight people I know drink diet sodas thinking it will somehow offset the effects of poor diet.
Do they actually tellyou they think exactly that?

I'm overweight and drink diet pop, because: 1) I like it and 2) because I am working on my diet, and don't need the extra calories from drinking them. I'm not stupid enough to think that the diet pop offsets anything. It just doesn't add to the problem.

I've told a few people my thoughts on this when it's come up, and got an "oh, I never thought of it that way". Guess it's easier to think "ha ha those stupid fat people having a diet coke with their hamburger and fries" and get to feel all superior for being smarter and thinner.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:31 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
I'm surprised at the people who have "one Pepsi a month" as a treat. After giving up all sodas, I have no taste for them anymore. WAY too sweet. My once a month might be fruit juice, if I am at someone's house who drinks it. I don't keep it in the house. Just water, non-sweetened HM iced tea, and coffee and tea.

Alcohol (wine) very seldom.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:53 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Do they actually tellyou they think exactly that?

I'm overweight and drink diet pop, because: 1) I like it and 2) because I am working on my diet, and don't need the extra calories from drinking them. I'm not stupid enough to think that the diet pop offsets anything. It just doesn't add to the problem.

I've told a few people my thoughts on this when it's come up, and got an "oh, I never thought of it that way". Guess it's easier to think "ha ha those stupid fat people having a diet coke with their hamburger and fries" and get to feel all superior for being smarter and thinner.
I hate to break this to you. Diet drinks are worse than regular pop, according to recent studies.

https://www.newsmax.com/t/health/article/705796/185

Why not just avoid them completely?

Old 07-04-2019, 12:17 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
I dropped from 202 pounds down to the upper one 70s common sense and held in the mid 80s. I spiked to 192 in one day wedding, but have returned to 186 since. Mostly I put my biggest meal of the day, on most days, in the morning. Thus the big spike with the wedding reception.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:38 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I hate to break this to you. Diet drinks are worse than regular pop, according to recent studies.

https://www.newsmax.com/t/health/article/705796/185

Why not just avoid them completely?
I watched a couple of medical reality shows that included work done on people with a mouth full of rotting teeth. The dentists did make the point that diet pop was nearly as bad for teeth because of high acidity. And, more relevant to my own case, I just researched something else I'd heard and verified it: carbonated beverages can interfere with the body's ability to absorb calcium. I'm 66 and have a little osteopenia- glad I'm down to maybe one 16-oz. bottle per week.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:28 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I've found that a key component to staying fit and toned is not just aerobics, yoga, and jogging, but to not drink calories.

I've done aerobics with a girl who then goes to Starbucks and gets a massive calorie drink.....and then complains she doesn't see a difference. I've looked into it and someone could easily double their calories a day based on what they drink.....at least based on math....which isn't the best.

So.....

I am 99% water.

To be perfectly honest, once a month.....and only once a month I reward myself....I go on a super long jog....and if I complete my fitness goals and my run in a set time then I get 1 can of ice cold Pepsi....but I only cheat on this don't drink your calories rule once a month right after a long jog. But it encourages me to get up and do the exercise! Hey what is a girl to do?!

You are very correct about this. But I've seen so many people who put in hours of endurance exercise each day and then cancel all the effects of weight-control by drinking something with 500 or more calories. Some of these people will not listen to advice about this. Their comforting, high-calorie drinks are just too important to their daily routine. And they just continue on being overweight or even gaining more.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:08 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
I quit drinking sodas 35 years ago, just good water and black coffee ever since. I'm allergic to wine so I never drink that, but might have an alcoholic drink or orange juice a couple of times a year.

My daughter just suggested drinking one of those Kombucha drinks so I bought one yesterday. Looks like it's only 25 calories a serving. I'm so used to water and like it, but I'll try it.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:23 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You are very correct about this. But I've seen so many people who put in hours of endurance exercise each day and then cancel all the effects of weight-control by drinking something with 500 or more calories. Some of these people will not listen to advice about this. Their comforting, high-calorie drinks are just too important to their daily routine. And they just continue on being overweight or even gaining more.
I have a friend whose build I'd describe as solid and beefy. If you look at her, you'd never believe she was an athlete but she just completed the Anchorage Marathon and last year she did a 100-mile bike ride at Lake Tahoe. She also likes her beer. She posted a pic of her count of beers she's tried on her Untapped app- she's at 2,784. She holds down a serious job and is married with two little girls and I don't think she abuses it- but the calories add up.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:32 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I watched a couple of medical reality shows that included work done on people with a mouth full of rotting teeth. The dentists did make the point that diet pop was nearly as bad for teeth because of high acidity. And, more relevant to my own case, I just researched something else I'd heard and verified it: carbonated beverages can interfere with the body's ability to absorb calcium. I'm 66 and have a little osteopenia- glad I'm down to maybe one 16-oz. bottle per week.
Does this include seltzer water or just diet/regular sodas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness