Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 06:17 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Even more evidence that lifting weights is good for the heart as well.

But my take is that this is lifting weights interval style, which means you keep your heart rate up with minimal rest between sets. None of this do half arsed 10 reps on the arm curl machine, flirt with the ladies, pull out your smart phone to update your instagram for 10 minutes (while on the machine), then do 10 reps on leg curl machine, rinse and repeat.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1U027A

Quote:
In the small study, researchers determined that a certain type of heart fat, pericardial adipose tissue, was reduced in patients who did weight lifting, but not in those who worked on increasing their endurance with aerobic exercise, according to a report published in JAMA Cardiology. Both forms of exercise resulted in the reduction of a second type of heart fat, epicardial adipose tissue, which has also been linked with heart disease.

“We were surprised by this finding,” said the study’s lead author, Dr. Regitse Hojgaard Christensen, a researcher at the Center of Inflammation and Metabolism and the Center for Physical Activity Research at the Copenhagen University Hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 06:19 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

But my take is that this is lifting weights interval style, which means you keep your heart rate up with minimal rest between sets. None of this do half arsed 10 reps on the arm curl machine, flirt with the ladies, pull out your smart phone to update your instagram for 10 minutes (while on the machine), then do 10 reps on leg curl machine, rinse and repeat.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1U027A
Yes, SG

Worth reminding people.

Lots of studies now on this.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:56 PM

289 posts, read 248,372 times
Probably the best advice is to do both with weights first if doing at the same time, and try to use free weights and compound movements not machines.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:50 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,459,686 times
Quote:
None of this do half arsed 10 reps on the arm curl machine, flirt with the ladies, pull out your smart phone to update your instagram for 10 minutes (while on the machine), then do 10 reps on leg curl machine, rinse and repeat.

That was an awesome description. Made me laugh. Because it is real. I work out in the am but those days I do afternoon workouts or go to the rec center on the weekend for something different, this is what you see all over the place. I remember one guy was videoing himself on the leg press machine I am assuming for Instagram.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:03 PM

10,556 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Obese folks should welcome this news because weight lifting will be a much easier activity to get started on than aerobics.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
I don't think I would go that far in drawing a conclusion. They took 50 inactive, overweight people who were average age 41, and randomized them into three groups for a 12 week study:

Quote:
Participants were randomized to a supervised high-intensity interval endurance training (3 times a week for 45 minutes), resistance training (3 times a week for 45 minutes), or no exercise (control group).
These individuals were obese and sedentary. The resistance training group did the following program:

Quote:
"The resistance exercise training in this study was designed as a 45-minute interval type, medium load, high-repetition, time-based training,” Christensen said. “Participants performed three to five sets of 10 exercises and the sessions were supervised.
Does anyone think this was really weightlifting? Picture an obese, sedentary group of people average age 41 starting a weightlifting program. Imagine watching them struggle through high reps of 3-5 sets of 10 exercises where they have minimal rest between exercises since it is timed and completed in 45 minutes. They will be starting this program with minimal resistance. These people will not be able to handle much resistance and they will quickly tire out.

The same thing will happen with the supervised high-intensity interval endurance training. I didn't read the the full text of the study, but I can't imagine a high intensity interval training program that obese, sedentary, 41 year old people are going to do for 45 minutes. I'm guessing the program was on an exercise bike where they rode extremely slow and then rode a little faster for timed intervals.

I'm betting that both groups had a high drop out rate.

My point is that the results of this study really only apply to a similar group of people. I think the title of the Reuter's article is misleading. In fact, compare the titles:

JAMA: Effect of Aerobic and Resistance Exercise on Cardiac Adipose Tissues

Reuters: Weightlifting better at reducing heart fat than aerobic exercise

I would wonder what the results of this study would be if they continued it for 6 months or a year? What if they recruited participants who were not obese and sedentary? What if they actually compared strict weightlifting with a HIIT program, and with a steady slower cardio program?

But my main question is does this study have any relevance to someone who is not obese and has lead an active lifestyle with both weightlifting and cardio type exercise?

Old 07-09-2019, 06:00 PM

703 posts, read 612,799 times
Quote:
I can't imagine a high intensity interval training program that obese, sedentary, 41 year old people are going to do for 45 minutes
Actually nobody could do it. If its "high intensity" you cannot do it for 45, period, unless you are taking some really loooong breaks between exertion phases.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I don't think I would go that far in drawing a conclusion. They took 50 inactive, overweight people who were average age 41, and randomized them into three groups for a 12 week study:

These individuals were obese and sedentary. The resistance training group did the following program:

Does anyone think this was really weightlifting? Picture an obese, sedentary group of people average age 41 starting a weightlifting program. Imagine watching them struggle through high reps of 3-5 sets of 10 exercises where they have minimal rest between exercises since it is timed and completed in 45 minutes. They will be starting this program with minimal resistance. These people will not be able to handle much resistance and they will quickly tire out.

The same thing will happen with the supervised high-intensity interval endurance training. I didn't read the the full text of the study, but I can't imagine a high intensity interval training program that obese, sedentary, 41 year old people are going to do for 45 minutes. I'm guessing the program was on an exercise bike where they rode extremely slow and then rode a little faster for timed intervals.

I'm betting that both groups had a high drop out rate.

My point is that the results of this study really only apply to a similar group of people. I think the title of the Reuter's article is misleading. In fact, compare the titles:

JAMA: Effect of Aerobic and Resistance Exercise on Cardiac Adipose Tissues

Reuters: Weightlifting better at reducing heart fat than aerobic exercise

I would wonder what the results of this study would be if they continued it for 6 months or a year? What if they recruited participants who were not obese and sedentary? What if they actually compared strict weightlifting with a HIIT program, and with a steady slower cardio program?

But my main question is does this study have any relevance to someone who is not obese and has lead an active lifestyle with both weightlifting and cardio type exercise?
The study focused on fat around your heart - aka the most dangerous one. This study would be meaningful for people that have a too high body fat percentage, particularly stored around the heart, of any weight.

Someone who is not "overfat" would not be likely to have fat around their heart.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:43 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
OK, so is it actually accurate to say the correct title should be something like

"Seriously obese and extremely sedentary individuals benefited by starting basic exercise program including moderate circuit-training, as measured by measurements of cardiac fat"?

From that to the thread title is a huge step.

The thread title is basically another attempt at claiming that aerobic exercise isn't valuable. No reputable physiologist or cardiologist claims that.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,459,686 times
OP is not claiming that aerobic exercise isn't valuable. He stated this: "Even more evidence that lifting weights is good for the heart as well." He said "as well". So that is inclusive of other forms including aerobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness