Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:47 AM

265 posts, read 239,057 times

Advertisements

So I take martial arts classes. Some days I do two classes the same day. So by the end of the first class, I am covered in sweat. Then the following class which is right after, fresh people come in, and I feel that I smell. I say this because somedays I show up for only the 2nd class. So when I am paired with someone who took the prior class they smell bad. I figured I smell too, so I try to pair up with someone who took the prior class. We are doing, kickboxing, Hapkido, BJJ ect… I wear Dove for men 48h deodorant only, is there another product out there you guys use to help with the smell when training? I have not been told I smell but when I am fresh, first class and I get paired with someone who just finished the prior class, they smell bad over 80% of the time. Or will I just get used to the smell eventually, I am new to martial arts?

Last edited by Mike2017; 07-19-2019 at 03:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
Use deodorants/reapply between classes -

Old 07-19-2019, 08:37 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Do you apply right before class and in between classes? I find that some of the natural deodorants actually do better than the standard antiperspirants for workouts. No, they don’t stop the sweat, but they will stop the odor. I usually use Native before I go for a workout. It is pricey but it lasts a long time.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 AM

Watch the foods you eat. I've noticed some folks how eat Asian foods like Kimchi retain the smell.

Good to be cognizant of it. I was in an unfortunate setting awhile ago in a yoga studio where it was cramped and you were right next to strangers - and the heat was up (hot yoga) and the smells were pretty awful like a room full of homeless folks who hadn't seen a shower for weeks.

Never returned.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:29 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Let me get this straight, you are worried about sweating during exercise?

The only way to stop is either genetics or not to exercise in the first place.
I've never met anyone who takes offence to someone else sweating during exercise while they are also doing that exercise

Old 07-19-2019, 12:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Dojos usually reek anyway. It hits you when you walk in.

Maybe you could put on a clean shirt for the second class. Keep dryer sheets in your gym bag. But as long as YOU are clean and you don't go for a jog around the block in between, you should be fine.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:01 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
No shower room?
Also, I come from the country where everyone had smell. No one paid attention to it. That was how life was. I'd say, if ypou come to dojo to smell pleasantly, you are in a wrong place.

But surely, some foods do give specific odor. Like garlic.
Again, I think, you worry too much. And dedicate too much to smell. Dojo is not the place to play high society games. Same as military. Who gives. Everyone smells. At least, in real military, where they sweat all day long or don't wash for weeks.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:02 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
As a side note. Excessive perspiration is sign of poor circulatory system.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:26 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Let me get this straight, you are worried about sweating during exercise?

The only way to stop is either genetics or not to exercise in the first place.
I've never met anyone who takes offence to someone else sweating during exercise while they are also doing that exercise
OP is concerned about odor, not sweating.

OP, echoing advise upthread ... some foods and other intake (esp. tobacco) heavily factor into whatever odor accompanies sweat ... it just seems to "seep." out the pores.

Also keep your gym clothes clean. And yourself, because part of this is that sweat activating the bacteria on your skin when you start sweating.

If underarm, apply deodorant or anti-perspirant before each session. Keep underarms clean and as dry as possible - anti-perspirants are made to do just that by blocking sweat glands; though most people encounter heavier sweating on other parts of the body when an anti-perspirant is working to keep your underarms dry (the body sweats as a way to regulate temperature, so if not the underarm area, it will happen elsewhere when you get overheated). Deodorants mask odor and break down bacteria on the surface but allow perspiration to occur.

And as ukrkoz writes, as a sidenote, if you think you are sweating excessively (you did not indicate that you are), see a doctor. But with any exercise, sweating itself is what your body should do.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Dojos usually reek anyway. It hits you when you walk in.

Maybe you could put on a clean shirt for the second class. Keep dryer sheets in your gym bag. But as long as YOU are clean and you don't go for a jog around the block in between, you should be fine.
good idea, I do that, usually go through 3-4 shirts over the course of a morning doing fitness classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness