Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:28 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times

Advertisements

I was wondering whether other people attend yoga classes where rules are continually ignored/violated. Today in a one hour yoga class with about 30 people, 5 came 5 to 20 minutes late. The instructor doesn't lock the door; to the contrary, she welcomes the latecomers with a big smile, getting them a mat if they haven't brought their own, and finding a spot for them. One instructor said he doesn't even mind if people come 40 minutes late because "at least they've made the effort."

Although I've been practicing yoga and meditation for years, I don't have the level of equanimity and concentration where I'm not disrupted by the latecomers. I've maybe improved a little that I don't feel evil thoughts about them (like about their poor time management skills--you never know what someone is going through, although of course the vast majority are likely not dealing with dire family illness and so on) and instead try to accept that they just didn't notice the time and cut it too close or got stuck in traffic. But sometimes instead of immediately moving my mat to accommodate a latecomer, if my eyes are closed or I'm in a difficult pose I will wait until my eyes are open or I'm done with the pose before I move my mat. I really think if latecomers are allowed in, it should be like going to a live theater performance---that you have to stand at the door waiting until a more opportune time to come in, but the instructors don't really want to be be bothered, so it's just easier having people wander in whenever.

I've made my peace (mostly) with the late arrival issue (happens every class). But what is bothersome is the cell phones going off. Like all yoga studios, mine has a policy against shoes being worn/brought in because there has traditionally been a ban against them, bringing the outside in to the sacred space of the yoga studios. But nothing brings the outside world in more than a cell phone. There are cubbies outside the yoga room where phones can be placed, but they could be stolen and people want to be on their phones until the second class starts and the second it stops. There are lockers downstairs, but people don't always visit the locker room and again, they want their cell phones with them.

There is a voluntary basket where people can drop their phones into the basket at the front of the room, but only a few people do this. And although instructors prompt to turn off phones, a lot of people don't---and especially the ones arriving late. Often a phone goes off. It used to be that people quickly grabbed the phone and turned it off, but now some let it ring and ring. Others grab their phones and read or text. One actually answered her phone and had a conversation!

Today, one of the 15 minutes late people came in with a lap top and phone that were obviously still on, even as she settled in. Two times the phone rang. I can forgetting to turn it off once, but not after it rang the first time. She said she had two phones with her and thought the second one was turned off.

A couple people were very yogic about this, saying it is a good test and practice for us not to get upset. I get that. I'm working towards it. But if we just accept whatever bad behavior people sling our way, they won't ever stop (they often don't stop even when called out about it, but no incentive to come early or turn off your phone without it). I do understand accepting people for who they are. I think everyone should practice yoga. Nothing matters or should stop us from accepting people into our shared yoga practice---not gender, age, physical ability, race, ethnicity, body type, etc.---but should common courtesy and respect for others and the practice matter? One classmate actually said we should accept how these people are---but never said the reverse, that they should accept/respect our preference not to be disturbed.

My yoga classes are in my gym. It's a dedicated yoga studio, as nice as any private studio, but the classes are free, included as part of the gym membership, so we get a lot of regular gym people who just see yoga as a stretching/cardio class and nothing more.

For those who go to actual yoga studios, are things any better in your studios?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 12:23 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
My YMCA classes have a sign about being 10 mins late, do not enter. Haven't had the cell phone issue surface - 3 yrs into doing yoga.

My YMCA takes complaints very seriously - so much that they even have a director call you. I've commented a few times about a variety of things about the YMCA in general (not yoga).

Maybe some constructive comments to the folks who run the place to let them know what's going on (disruptive late comers, cell phones).....

Once or twice they've had people leave early during savasana, and I found myself near the door and folks were stepping all around me -

I try to place myself deep inside the room, front row usually to keep the distractions of other folks to a minimum.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I agree that commenting to the instructor or the gym might be the way to go. It's one thing to provide a welcoming, non-judgemental environment, but if that disrupts and distracts the rest of the class from getting anything out of the practice, it's not working.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:57 PM

465 posts, read 607,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I was wondering whether other people attend yoga classes where rules are continually ignored/violated. Today in a one hour yoga class with about 30 people, 5 came 5 to 20 minutes late. The instructor doesn't lock the door; to the contrary, she welcomes the latecomers with a big smile, getting them a mat if they haven't brought their own, and finding a spot for them. One instructor said he doesn't even mind if people come 40 minutes late because "at least they've made the effort."

Although I've been practicing yoga and meditation for years, I don't have the level of equanimity and concentration where I'm not disrupted by the latecomers. I've maybe improved a little that I don't feel evil thoughts about them (like about their poor time management skills--you never know what someone is going through, although of course the vast majority are likely not dealing with dire family illness and so on) and instead try to accept that they just didn't notice the time and cut it too close or got stuck in traffic. But sometimes instead of immediately moving my mat to accommodate a latecomer, if my eyes are closed or I'm in a difficult pose I will wait until my eyes are open or I'm done with the pose before I move my mat. I really think if latecomers are allowed in, it should be like going to a live theater performance---that you have to stand at the door waiting until a more opportune time to come in, but the instructors don't really want to be be bothered, so it's just easier having people wander in whenever.

I've made my peace (mostly) with the late arrival issue (happens every class). But what is bothersome is the cell phones going off. Like all yoga studios, mine has a policy against shoes being worn/brought in because there has traditionally been a ban against them, bringing the outside in to the sacred space of the yoga studios. But nothing brings the outside world in more than a cell phone. There are cubbies outside the yoga room where phones can be placed, but they could be stolen and people want to be on their phones until the second class starts and the second it stops. There are lockers downstairs, but people don't always visit the locker room and again, they want their cell phones with them.

There is a voluntary basket where people can drop their phones into the basket at the front of the room, but only a few people do this. And although instructors prompt to turn off phones, a lot of people don't---and especially the ones arriving late. Often a phone goes off. It used to be that people quickly grabbed the phone and turned it off, but now some let it ring and ring. Others grab their phones and read or text. One actually answered her phone and had a conversation!

Today, one of the 15 minutes late people came in with a lap top and phone that were obviously still on, even as she settled in. Two times the phone rang. I can forgetting to turn it off once, but not after it rang the first time. She said she had two phones with her and thought the second one was turned off.

A couple people were very yogic about this, saying it is a good test and practice for us not to get upset. I get that. I'm working towards it. But if we just accept whatever bad behavior people sling our way, they won't ever stop (they often don't stop even when called out about it, but no incentive to come early or turn off your phone without it). I do understand accepting people for who they are. I think everyone should practice yoga. Nothing matters or should stop us from accepting people into our shared yoga practice---not gender, age, physical ability, race, ethnicity, body type, etc.---but should common courtesy and respect for others and the practice matter? One classmate actually said we should accept how these people are---but never said the reverse, that they should accept/respect our preference not to be disturbed.

My yoga classes are in my gym. It's a dedicated yoga studio, as nice as any private studio, but the classes are free, included as part of the gym membership, so we get a lot of regular gym people who just see yoga as a stretching/cardio class and nothing more.

Jazzcat - you seem really really stressed out. I would highly recommend you consider signing up for a yoga class to help relax.....oh wait a minute...

But seriously, you answered your own question. Generally speaking, you get a more serious yoga crowd at a dedicated yoga studio compared to a gym.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:15 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Things are a lot better at my yoga studios.
None of that stuff is tolerated or allowed.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:14 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

Most classes I go to, no one is late in my gym. Occasionally a late straggler drops in, I try to ignore them.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:09 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
I noticed a few later comers and some's pinging phone during yesterday's class....so I spoke too soon on my post that it doesn't really happen.

It is a distraction. We have a day care center in the YMCA, and I think Moms are delayed sometimes in the process of checking their toddlers in.

I guess, if I were a staunch yogi, I'd probably find a Yoga studio where things were very strict about these things. I'm really doing yoga for the stretching, strength stuff and no so much the meditation part so it's not as bothersome.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Yeah, I have seen that where I go. Where it seems to be a real problem is in the packed classes where people come 10-15 minutes late and then expect people in the middle of a practice to move for them. Usually those instructors either tell them flat out that there is no room and they will not be let in or find some awful spot for them and lecture people at the end of class that it isn’t appropriate to show up really late. We do have a clock problem that results in people showing up a couple of minutes late because the locker room clocks are usually a few minutes slow, but there is no excuse for 10-15 minutes late or the pinging cell phones in the room when there are lockers and cubbies for that.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:20 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Your average yoga instructor probably needs every paying body she can get into each class regardless of tardiness. They would probably prefer no latecomers but if every one is another $15, they're getting in.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:51 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,332 times
I've been practicing yoga regularly---3-4 times per week for close to 10 years and I have never, attending several different locations, seen the behaviour that the OP describes. Is the instructor certified? I cannot imagine allowing this to go on.

It sounds as though yoga as presented in a gym setting is seen more as an exercise class rather than a meditative experience.

I would suggest that the OP look for a dedicated yoga studio. Most offer some sort of package deal or monthly plan that makes the cost quite reasonable.

At the two studios I regularly attend, people arrive early and either meditate or remain quiet without talking until class begins. Occasionally someone will arrive 1-2 minutes after class begins---never more than that. They quietly get their props and find a space---the flow of the class is not interrupted.

I'm not being critical of those who want the exercise and don't mind the gym experience but it sounds as though the OP wants more of a meditative approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness