Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:18 PM

480 posts, read 480,566 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread in the Health and Wellness subforum because I somehow missed this forum at first:

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...hape-38-a.html

The short version is that I am just getting back into exercising after about a 15 year break. One of the things I immediately noticed in just about every response was something about losing weight. I never really gave much thought to it, honestly. According to BMI calculators, etc...I'm obese (204lbs/5'-9") but I would guess that I've probably been considered obese my whole life, even through high school when I wrestled and played ice hockey. I was a little shorter then (probably 5'-7") and not that much lighter, but the difference is that I could easily run six miles, do 50 pullups at a clip, and lift heavy with a lot of repetition. That said, I was never one of those guys who was "ripped." I always carried a little more weight than some of my fellow athletes who had the six pack abs, well defined shoulders, etc...but I performed just as well as they did. I guess what I'm getting at here is that I'm committing to putting at least three days a week in at the gym and also trying to do straight cardio in between. However, I'm not planning on keeping track of how many calories I burn vs. how many I consume. The question is, how much does it really matter? If you read my original post in the other subforum you'll see that I'm trying to focus on being able to do more-run farther, longer, faster, lift more, and having more stamina for hunting, outdoor work, etc... As an example, let's say by the time I'm 40 I'm back to being able to run six miles (or more) and and do 50 pullups again but I'm still "overweight,"-does it matter? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 09:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Weight I am assuming body fat;

It matters, that fat is not just what you see, it is the visceral fat, fatty heart, etc.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:14 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Weight is always bad for your joints. Even if you are 6'6" 275lbs, but 5% BF, your still punishing your joints just from the mass.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
I posted a thread in the Health and Wellness subforum because I somehow missed this forum at first:

The short version is that I am just getting back into exercising after about a 15 year break. One of the things I immediately noticed in just about every response was something about losing weight. I never really gave much thought to it, honestly. According to BMI calculators, etc...I'm obese (204lbs/5'-9") but I would guess that I've probably been considered obese my whole life, even through high school when I wrestled and played ice hockey. I was a little shorter then (probably 5'-7") and not that much lighter, but the difference is that I could easily run six miles, do 50 pullups at a clip, and lift heavy with a lot of repetition. That said, I was never one of those guys who was "ripped." I always carried a little more weight than some of my fellow athletes who had the six pack abs, well defined shoulders, etc...but I performed just as well as they did. I guess what I'm getting at here is that I'm committing to putting at least three days a week in at the gym and also trying to do straight cardio in between. However, I'm not planning on keeping track of how many calories I burn vs. how many I consume. The question is, how much does it really matter? If you read my original post in the other subforum you'll see that I'm trying to focus on being able to do more-run farther, longer, faster, lift more, and having more stamina for hunting, outdoor work, etc... As an example, let's say by the time I'm 40 I'm back to being able to run six miles (or more) and and do 50 pullups again but I'm still "overweight,"-does it matter? Why or why not?
It's better to look in the mirror nude that look at your weight.

CICO works for some people and not for others.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:01 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,334 times
Yes, weight matters, you can exercise a lot but still consume a lot of carbohydrates and this eventually affects you.

I recommend weighing in your gym in a Total Body Composition Analyzer, is not expensive and give you a real check if you are overweight or not.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:35 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
Quote:
However, I'm not planning on keeping track of how many calories I burn vs. how many I consume. The question is, how much does it really matter?
First off, congradulations on renewing your comittment to your own health and fitness. "38" is still young, your body is still capabile of quite a bit.

In regards to counting calories, it's only valueable if it positivily motivates you. If it gets you down and depressed, maybe ease back on the food logging/diaries and OCD counting of grams and ounces. Same with the bathroom scale and the tape measure and the electro-fat-meter gadgets.

I'll give you two easy techniques in my opinion:
- taking a picture of your meals with your smartphone is an easy way to track your meals. A picture takes 5-10 secs, that's even faster than finding a pen and your log book, and they are automatically sequenced by date and time, if you use like Google Photos.

- I find a certain satisfaction in doing 'meal prep' where you make the same food on Sunday night for ~4 days and put them in tupperwares. Once you've 'measured' the meal, you can be confident it falls within 5% of the calories/fats/carbs/protein for that standard meal. Since I use the same set of tupperwares everytime (I got like 8 for $4 at IKEA) the portion sizes are fixed. Beats "ladle-ing another scoop from the pan", if Portion Control is one of your issues -in my opinion.

There is a lot of material to read to orientate your Quest; your goals will slightly change over the months and years; and Everything Works those first couple months (if you put in the work). Good Luck.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:16 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
The keys are your blood numbers. I think also your fat% and muscle % are important. BMI is a good barometer too. My numbers are all good and my bodyfat is 11.7% and muscle is 44.6% so I'm pleased.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:21 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Your organs have to do more work the bigger you are, fat or muscle, it adds stress.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:26 PM

260 posts, read 129,534 times
Quote:

Congratulations you are committing to doing the exercise! That's a large part of the battle, staying in a routine. It's okay not to count calories or keep track of what you burn, you'll start to see a difference just by getting back into a commitment to exercise. I'd suggest you at least become more aware of what you are eating, though there is no need to keep rigid track of it. Avoid sugar, salt and saturated fats while drinking lots of water and eating good quality, lean protein.

Weight does matter because it puts added stress on your joints and makes your heart work harder, but if you are taking action to change your lifestyle into healthy habits for the long-term, you're going to see changes in your weight, too.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:36 AM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Be happy with yourself.
Whatever is that you are.
Don't listen to anyone who tells how you should be. You are you. They are them. LOVE YOURSELF. That is baseline for health. Trends in appearances come and go, being healthy does not mean to be a twig or torture yourself mentally and physically following ever changing guidelines and fashions.
Look at those who are fit, healthy and overweight.
Sammo Hung, for example. Sumo wrestlers. Iron Man guys. They are all "obese" by the world standards yet, no one blames them of that and many envy.
So learn ot be at peace with what you are. Exercise, enjoy it, enjoy healthy life.
Just figure one thing - why are you exercising? For yourself or for others? Is vanity your vice? If not, who gives what others think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness