Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 09:47 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times

Advertisements

Reasons I work out (mostly with weights):

-To maintain a high proportion of lean muscle mass
-Keep my weight up healthily (I am prone to being underweight)
-Keep my body fat percentage low (I want weight but not fat weight)
-Keep my energy levels up
-Keeps me feeling fit, healthy and strong
-Makes me feel more confident in general and in defending myself if I have to
-Keeps my blood sugar/pressure nice and low
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 04:57 PM

260 posts, read 129,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that. I also am aware that there isn't much substitute for lifting heavy, which is why I try to make myself do it. I do many different types of fitness activities, from sports and dance to other types of cardio to calisthenics and bodyweight exercises to yoga and stretching, but none of them are akin to lifting heavy weights and do not have the same results.

And yes, there are exercise programs for everyone. That doesn't mean people don't still feel pain. Sometimes it's inevitable, because pain is simply a part of a person's life. Sometimes they work through it very carefully, because they don't feel sitting and doing nothing-- for some people, even that isn't pain-free-- is the way they want to live. But it's still not easy. I have known, loved, and been close to people suffering from chronic illnesses and chronic pain, and it's just not as simple as "you shouldn't feel pain."
This is an exercise forum asking why people work-out, and so I explained why I do. It’s not meant to be offensive to anyone who can’t work-out because of physical limitations, but that should probably be part of a different thread. For a normally healthy person, pain isn’t a part of a daily routine and neither should be “dreading it” because it’s not going to last for the long-term. Physical pain usually means there is injury or fatigue in the muscle which can make us susceptible to injury. Or, it also can mean the exercise is not being performed correctly.

I don’t know anything about body-building or lifting, and I was just making a point about increasing the odds somebody would stick to their cardio routine for normal exercise.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:09 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
You might want to try resistance bands in place of weights. I still lift some hand-weights, but I'm all about band work these days. Good luck
Resistance bands probably aren't going to be very usable for squats, clean-and-press, bench press, etc. They're also unlikely to get me to the weights I need to use. I'm not looking to be some elliptical-machine bunny "toning" with 5-pound weights. I lift to failure, or to 80% of my 1RM, with weights that will get me there. Resistance bands have their uses, but I doubt they're meant as a substitute for a barbell. And, why would I buy resistance bands, when I go to the gym, which has actual free weights?

My problem is with being bored, not with moving the weight. Changing the method of resistance isn't going to make it more interesting, unless by "interesting" you mean "annoying," as I try to figure out how to get as much resistance as I did out of a barbell loaded with weights, and how to get a proper range of motion with a band limiting me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That's exactly how I describe riding a bike trainer in the winter! I actually miss lifting though, I really enjoyed it and looked great when I did it. But there's not enough time to do everything.
Yes, I have heard a lot of people say this about the bike and treadmill (treadmill for me as I don't do the bike much, though I can even get bored running if it's a route I've done often). It's not so bad IF I can find something interesting on the gym TV. Unfortunately it's just not possible to read while biking/running/rowing, and I don't like books on tape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison7 View Post
This is an exercise forum asking why people work-out, and so I explained why I do. It’s not meant to be offensive to anyone who can’t work-out because of physical limitations, but that should probably be part of a different thread. For a normally healthy person, pain isn’t a part of a daily routine and neither should be “dreading it” because it’s not going to last for the long-term. Physical pain usually means there is injury or fatigue in the muscle which can make us susceptible to injury. Or, it also can mean the exercise is not being performed correctly.

I don’t know anything about body-building or lifting, and I was just making a point about increasing the odds somebody would stick to their cardio routine for normal exercise.
You said people who don't like going should go because it will make them feel great. I pointed out some legitimate reasons people may not enjoy the gym, including pain. You then said "it shouldn't hurt," and I pointed out that for some people, pain just IS, and whether life "should" hurt is irrelevant because life isn't fair and sometimes it includes pain. I wasn't talking about offensiveness, just making the point that some people may have different viewpoints than you do.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:16 PM

260 posts, read 129,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

You said people who don't like going should go because it will make them feel great. I pointed out some legitimate reasons people may not enjoy the gym, including pain. You then said "it shouldn't hurt," and I pointed out that for some people, pain just IS, and whether life "should" hurt is irrelevant because life isn't fair and sometimes it includes pain. I wasn't talking about offensiveness, just making the point that some people may have different viewpoints than you do.
No, I said I go to stay fit and be healthy, but it also has become about the activity itself for me. Running is a form of meditation for me. I don’t expect everyone to have the same viewpoint.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:34 AM

1 posts, read 494 times
Well I need my butt whipped, i have been working on a web page and didn't work out today and i am was at 145 lbs but now i'm at 149 but i can fix that with workout. glad i found this site though. haters motivate me, someone who specifically dislikes a person for no apparent reason because they think the person is fat, or ugly, prissy, or don't like their color, yes hatred is powerful enough for me to prove the haters wrong, and when you prove the young haters wrong and you are 59 and they are in their 20's, it burns them up totally, that's a lesson learned for them. Music motivates me too and the fact that i don't want to be a diabetic and i don't want to be labeled as a United States citizen that is obese. per google all a woman need to weigh is 145 lbs and she's obese but it's better than being 180 lbs though.

Last edited by beejayLADY; 09-03-2019 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: sentence structure mistake

Old 09-06-2019, 10:52 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
I am trying to fit into my pants!! But 8 months of killing myself on 5-6 days of 30 minutes of aerobics at home (that I created myself) that I hate, reaching 138-150 BPM each time, ZERO results, not even 1 mm lost on my belly. Pants still fit the same!! I'm not talking about spot reducing, but by 8 months, I should've lost something in my belly by now. Nope.

Granted, food is my weakness and I either overeat and I can't resists carbs and sugar, at least 1 mm lost would be nice after 8 months. Nope, ZERO.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:26 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I am trying to fit into my pants!! But 8 months of killing myself on 5-6 days of 30 minutes of aerobics at home (that I created myself) that I hate, reaching 138-150 BPM each time, ZERO results, not even 1 mm lost on my belly. Pants still fit the same!! I'm not talking about spot reducing, but by 8 months, I should've lost something in my belly by now. Nope.

Granted, food is my weakness and I either overeat and I can't resists carbs and sugar, at least 1 mm lost would be nice after 8 months. Nope, ZERO.
You can't out-exercise a crappy diet. I don't think some people realize how important your diet is.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:48 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,073 times
I exercise for my health and mobility.

And I hate every stinking minute of it. I’ve tried it all and have a personal trainer (otherwise I would NEVER do weights) and I just hate exercising. I push hard, I get the endorphin release, but it does t last long, usually within 5-10 minutes I’m already stressed again about whatever is on my plate. And it took YEARS of listening to my body to realize that exercising, even light walking, makes my period cramps unbearable. And does nothing for my anxiety.

But I still do it 4-6 days a week because it does make me healthy and does improve my mobility. At 40 I notice a big difference in my mobility when I miss a work out. But I get sooooo annoyed when people tell me if I don’t like it I’m not doing it right. I had one girlfriend I would do different routines with and she was literally saying “don’t you love this” “is t this great” and I’m over there like hell no, I’d much rather be reading a book or doing a crossword. Why do people need everyone to love what they love?

Old 09-06-2019, 01:26 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
I exercise to maintain strength, flexibility and look good as I get older. I'm over 40 years old and still getting stronger.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:27 PM

253 posts, read 228,728 times
My purpose in fitness is to stay in shape and continuously reach the goals that I set for myself. It gives me a sense of purpose in all of my life and is something that I use to cope with some personal issues that would debilitate me otherwise. I started running years ago to lose weight and I have been doing it ever since, pushing the envelope further and further. Sometimes though, it's hard to me to stay motivated, so what I like to do is leave myself motivational quotes around the house to remind myself of where I came from and how I could do anything I put my mind to: https://www.openfit.com/20-motivatio...-fitness-goals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness