U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 01:33 PM

15,833 posts, read 33,161,131 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am a 70 y.o. female. Up until this year I have always been fairly active and fit. I did not do a lot of heavy weight training per se, but did daily bike rides, dancing, and a few other exercises like lunges, squats, etc. Even though this may sound minimal compared to what many of you here do on the regular, it kept me looking healthy, fit and decently "toned." Well unfortunately a couple months ago I started to have pain in one calf which I dismissed as a bike injury but it got worse to the point I ended up in the ER and then hospital for a while with an enormous (and life threatening) blood clot.

I am on blood thinners now and am told I need to be very careful. Nothing high impact or heavy lifting at all. I am completely SHOCKED at how quickly I lost all my "tone". While my weight didn't change, I now look "skinny fat" with thin, but flabby arms and legs and I'm not sure what to do. I have only in the last couple days even been able to do short walks and do more around the house. Every day, it gets a little better and I can do a bit more.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions? At my age, it is already a battle to not lose muscle tone. I want to at least get back my former level of fitness! I still have pain and swelling, but I'm told light exercise is the best thing for it. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 03:05 PM

27,215 posts, read 17,613,090 times
Ask your docs for a referral to physical therapy. Those people know so much! I think they would what you can safely do. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:13 PM

1,892 posts, read 684,839 times
Make sure you ask your MD what she recommends. Certain activities are probably contraindicated while on anticoagulants.

If there's a clot that could dislodge, I'd think being too active would be worrisome.

If okayed......

I'd recommend Pilates, yoga, some lightwt body sculpting stuff (barre). As we age, muscle wasting occurs with disuse. I think protein supplement is a good idea. I'd start a walking program as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness