Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 02:22 PM

175 posts, read 147,011 times

Advertisements

I am an intermediate distance runner and was looking for any books or training programs to help me with my performance. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 09:15 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running"

is a memoir written by a novelist who was also a marathon runner and it is a delightful read about process and all. Not really a performance guide, but a great read no doubt.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
The public library probably has a foot and a half or two feet of shelf space on this exact subject. Take that library card out and give it some exercise!

Old 09-23-2019, 05:21 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The public library probably has a foot and a half or two feet of shelf space on this exact subject. Take that library card out and give it some exercise!
Have you actually gone to a library and looked for books on running or are you assuming that a library would have "a foot and a half or two feet of shelf space on this exact subject?"

My experience with subjects like running and weightlifting is I probably won't find good reference books at a library or bookstore. I suggest doing a search on Amazon.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Have you actually gone to a library and looked for books on running or are you assuming that a library would have "a foot and a half or two feet of shelf space on this exact subject?"

My experience with subjects like running and weightlifting is I probably won't find good reference books at a library or bookstore. I suggest doing a search on Amazon.
I am familiar with the collections of three local public libraries. Since I'm interested in bicycling, I see the running books because they're basically right next to the cycling books. Yes, each of those three libraries I frequent has about that many books on running.

The books in question might be twenty years old, but guess what, humans have been running the exact same way for a lot longer than that.

I am in a public library something like two times a week, so I think I have a pretty good idea what they've got. Your local libraries may be different, of course.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:59 AM

446 posts, read 219,480 times
I'm retired from it, but former triathlete and marathon runner. In my experience, the key to improving performance (times) -- assuming your are talking about improving your 10K time, half or full marathon time, is speedwork. A regimen of 3-4 days running a week should be worthwhile, and if you have the time, riding your bike on the non-running days, or swimming, will help your recovery.

The basics are a long run on the weekends -- the distance depending on what specifically you are training for. This should be moderate pace, or sometimes a "tempo finish" run, where the 2nd half is tempo pace. The other 2 days consist of 1 tempo run and 1 track workout. If you are running a 4th day, make that an easy run. About every 4th week, take an "off" week, and do easy runs. This is a recovery week.

For the track workout, again depending on what you are training for, work up to either 800's or mile repeats, with jogging a 200 in between.

I always liked Joe Friel's programs. This write-up is a bit dated, but still relevant in my opinion. I think a lot of runners today are looking for gimicks to improve things -- I see fitbits, compression socks, hyped up shoes, etc. Nothing will get you gains like speedwork.

Write out your plan in advance -- e.g. for track workout start with 2x800's, and then add an 800 each week for 3 weeks, then back off on week 4, then week 5 start with 4x800, etc. If you are more experienced, start with 2x1 mile repeats, and build from there.

Link to Article

Link to 2nd Article

Old 09-24-2019, 12:51 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
The books in question might be twenty years old, but guess what, humans have been running the exact same way for a lot longer than that.
But there has been lots of advances in those years.

For example, in 1989 the Texas HS 3200m champion ran 9:15.9. The 2019 champion ran a 8:52.73.
Humans haven't changed much in the 30 years between (except getting fatter), what has changed is training and nutrition knowledge. Stuff that wouldn't be in those old books.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:19 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
The Lore of Running by Tim Noakes. It's like taking a class in physiology, which is what you need to improve performance and avoid injury.

It's one of those books that you should buy rather than check out from the library. You wouldn't check out the Holy Bible from the library, you'd buy a copy. Same w/ 'Lore of Running.'

Too bad Running Times mag went belly up, or I would have recommended getting a subscription to it.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:46 PM

175 posts, read 147,011 times
Quote:
Correct, the library has lots of books on the subject. That is why I asked for recommendations to decide which one to pick.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:29 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
In addition to your selection of library books, Youtube has several experts - might visit Sage Canaday's site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvI_RSgkFmk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness