Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 10:03 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer'sBreeze View Post
Obese people were extremely rare in the past because ultra-processed food wasn't available back then. But these days America leads the rest of the world in the availability of ultra-processed food, and in fact some parts of America are "food deserts" for healthy food, therefore we lead the world in obesity rates.

From an article in Scientific American:

His studies suggest that a dramatic shift in how we make the food we eat—pulling ingredients apart and then reconstituting them into things like frosted snack cakes and ready-to-eat meals from the supermarket freezer—bears the brunt of the blame. This “ultraprocessed” food, he and a growing number of other scientists think, disrupts gut-brain signals that normally tell us that we have had enough, and this failed signaling leads to overeating. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...=pocket-newtab

People care just as much now about their looks today as they did in the past but our food has changed. If ultra-processed food had been as readily available 250-300 years ago as it is these days it's very likely some of our Founding Fathers would have looked like tubby blimps in their portraits.

That's true. Even though "fast food" existed fifty years ago, it was a much smaller part of the average person's diet...and it was made of "real" food back then. A McDonald's meat patty was all real hamburger.

There is that plus the way we eat.

For one, we take in calories far more often during the day. When I was a kid in the late 50s and 60s, we generally consumed calories only three times during the day. That was true for both adults and children. Most adults at that time didn't have jobs where there were vending machines for frequent snacking--and likely didn't even have a job that permitted a coffee break. Schools didn't have vending machines--there was nothing but lunch and water.

I distinctly remember when food companies invented the "after-school snack" in the latter 60s. Before that, most mothers didn't allow us to eat before dinner. Or if we got anything, it was a piece of fruit.

Second, as we learned to snack around the clock (many people take in calories every two waking hours, if not even more often), we also began eating much more with each regular meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 09:47 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
I think the problem is we keep thinking there is a silver bullet for all people instead of realizing each person needs to sort out their own level of exercise, sleep, and nutrition (calories, nutrients, and how they are scheduled through the day.)

I think the whole no-fat, high carb craze was part of an overreaction to cutting red and fatty meats in the 80s when everyone realized they contributed to heart disease. It also related to some of the exercise trends such as running, cross training, triathlons, and aerobics that were exploding in the 80s and 90s. The problem was that vast majority of people were not running 5 or 10ks much less marathons and they were not doing aerobics 5 days a week. So cutting red meat and lessening butter/mayo/etc may have been preferable but going o a carb heavy diet meant for an athlete was a big mistake.

I am at the 2/3 mark in a couple of month yoga training program and decided to try cutting out eats since that is strongly recommended by some readings (non violence, less impact, etc.) But in spite of the activity and cutting down to fish, eggs, dairy- I would say I ma in worse shape and have gained at least 10 pounds. The irony is I've now seen several lectures form people discussing how being a vegetarian was life changing and opened the door to health... for THEM. For me- I obviously do not need the extra carbs that come with meat substitutes and was obviously gaining something from meat that left me more full. I also think my energy and concentration have suffered. So when I end the sixteen weeks I am positive I will return to eating meat. I might be more mindful of sources and possibly eat less but U can say with some certainty that my diet works better with meat than without.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:05 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I remember "after school snack" being explicitly invented by food companies during the 60s. I also remember vending machines being introduced into schools in the 70s.
We didn’t get a vending machine in my HS until I was there in about 1992-93. Even then, we had one snack machine and one drink machine. When I was doing my teaching internship in 2003, the school had an ice cream machine, a candy machine, several other snack machines, and multiple drink machines. They also had a “snack line” where you could get unhealthy food like chicken fingers and fries for lunch. We had a pizza line where you typically got one piece of pizza and that was it. I saw kids in middle school while subbing who ordered frozen yogurt for their lunches.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:30 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd say age has a lot to do with it. This will be considered politically incorrect, I'm sure, but let's face it. As a formerly hot young babe -- well into my forties and even still in my early 50s -- who NEVER thought she'd lose her groove -- or her figure -- or her looks -- at 60, I honestly just don't care about my appearance anymore. I've gone gray (I don't believe in dying my hair), never wore makeup or alluring clothing and had a natural beauty (and plenty of male interest) in spite of it and am not about to start now, and have put on some weight I can't seem to lose along with some jowls and sagging (no, I'm not having plastic surgery). I haven't been hit on for quite a while, don't expect to be, and I frankly don't care, as my sex drive pretty much disappeared with menopause (and I'm fine with that). Women have a sell-by date as far as mating is concerned, and it's tied closely to fertility. So at this point, I am what I am.
Also I know older women who have gone the other way, obsessed with their looks - plastic surgery, fake everything and seeking younger men. They care about their looks more than ever, talk about it, spend hours in salons, etc. I don't mind aging because I care less about those things than before, so it is a very different mindset.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:50 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
We didn’t get a vending machine in my HS until I was there in about 1992-93. Even then, we had one snack machine and one drink machine. When I was doing my teaching internship in 2003, the school had an ice cream machine, a candy machine, several other snack machines, and multiple drink machines. They also had a “snack line” where you could get unhealthy food like chicken fingers and fries for lunch. We had a pizza line where you typically got one piece of pizza and that was it. I saw kids in middle school while subbing who ordered frozen yogurt for their lunches.

Well, when I said "vending machines in the 70s," I was talking about something that was quite primitive and limited...and those were only available during lunch. There was no eating in school during class hours.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:52 AM

28 posts, read 15,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I care about my looks to some extent, but I also like cheesecake and there’s no one who I feel motivated to look really good for.
I would say there is nothing bad in cheesecake but only when you don't eat it too much and the rest of your food is healthy
And... we shouldn't base our appearance on someone. Let's just be pretty for ourselves outside and inside

Old 10-09-2019, 08:50 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with "no self esteem." I think it has to do with too much self-esteem. They think too much of themselves.

It can have to do with no self esteem IMO....or just laziness to exercise or take the time to prepare & plan healthy meals...it’s lots easier for them to grab highly processed frozen foods or fast food....

If they thought much of themselves....they would take the time to take care of themselves IMO....

Old 10-10-2019, 12:34 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie15 View Post
People use to be so trim for the most part.

Id love to see some kind of study on this.

Who cares about the food anymore. Whats up with people with no self esteem.
A lot of people seems to become complacent and let themselves go.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
As an older woman, I realize that we tend to be invisible but even at my age I like be be well-groomed and dressed neatly when I go out. Too many women, and men, in my age group just "let themselves go."

And with young people, I've seen too many in my area with horrible teeth and tattoos. Now I don't know the cost of a few tattos vs. the cost of regular dental care but for me it would be a no-brainer. I'm talking about people with rotten or missing teeth sporting elaborate tattoos.

I try not to be judgemental but I do have opinions.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:42 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,199,915 times
People definitely dress down in general. My household - from the oldest to the youngest - all get such a kick out of watching the older shows where men are always in suits and women are always in dresses with heels. Nowadays -it is so nice to see a gentleman dressed to the hilt or a woman who carefully put together her outfit walking down the street or standing in line somewhere. I make it a point to mention it too - it a nice way - not the sneering sexual harrasser way. I feel like if they put so much time into their attire - they are open to being told their effort was notice. They stand out. Why don't more people do it? Who has time? Most mornings we are lucky to be rushing out of the house wearing anything at all - swiping a comb through our hair in the car while wondering if we remembered to do a million little things before we left. THAT and like many posters said - why bother? LOL - this is IT. At a certain age, you become comfortable with your looks and the people around you get used to them. Maybe a new hairstyle or alittle extra ratty tat tat once in awhile can elevate your look - but mostly - its just a lot of effort for very little reward. This way when we choose to ratty tat tat up our outfit for a special occassion - whoever we dressed for - a dinner party or whatever, appreciates the effort. As far as hair, makeup, sucking the gut in and all that like so many others said - you just can't fool mother nature.

Last edited by chattyneighbor; 10-24-2019 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness