Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 08:50 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,646,105 times

Advertisements

People care about their looks but not all the emphasis is on their body. They deflect by spending billions of fashion and brands ie over paying for something simply because the label brings status. Throw in you must 'accept' and/or endorse anything culture of course people will get out of shape, do drugs, make exotic lifestyle choices. You used to be able to compliment and endorse fit bodies now that considered shaming those not fit in many circles.

I will say there's an over all lack of pride and conscientiousness in general. People are too focused on themselves, it's all about them. It's not my job even though they are quite capable. This is why there customer service issues, road rage and/or poor quality workmanship. All that circles back to the body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 11:29 AM

38 posts, read 19,332 times
Quote:
People use to be so trim for the most part.

Id love to see some kind of study on this.

Who cares about the food anymore. Whats up with people with no self esteem.
Has nothing to do with self esteem. It's your American diet & culture. Anglo actually as British is increasingly adopting the mentality in areas.

Such has, in essence, become the culture of quick & easy fixes.

Consider, as a basic summary, what's faster & easier:
McDonalds burger or home stir fry?
Grocery's precooked meal or at home stew?
Bag of crisps (potato chips) or baked potato?

The list of such comparisons is endless. I won't ask what's cheaper because if you consider it a pot roast, as example, may last a few days while a burger or a prepacked meal is usually a one shot deal.

It doesn't help that precooked, prepackaged and fast food (half of which your parents or grandparents likely never heard of as children & young adults) is chalked full of salt, sugar, etc. to make it "taste good" that the body becomes "hooked" and thus comes to desire it's next "fix". Someone referred to their local grocer's as a crack house & that's not a far off comparison.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:38 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriosityofCat View Post
It doesn't help that precooked, prepackaged and fast food (half of which your parents or grandparents likely never heard of as children & young adults) is chalked full of salt, sugar, etc. to make it "taste good" that the body becomes "hooked" and thus comes to desire it's next "fix". Someone referred to their local grocer's as a crack house & that's not a far off comparison.

There were fast foods back then, but they were real food, almost organic. "Fast food" was merely informally prepared ordinary food available from an informal restaurant. It wasn't pre-processed to be "fast."

Old 11-23-2019, 01:13 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
People are just lazy nowadays. We used to run around 1000% more back in the day.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:11 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
You body should just tell you, "hey stupid, stop eating, you are full". If it doesnt then its not recognizing what you are eating as food or at least not recognizing the amount somehow.

I was forced into a low carb diet by T2 diabetes, well either that or insulin injections forever and other expensive diabetic drugs. When I eliminated all grain and grain byproducts from my diet, my body started telling me when I was full. Just didnt want anymore. I lost 60 pound and I wasnt trying to lose weight. I just trying to control blood sugar. And no I didnt eat junk food and sugary stuff. I ate mostly grain and beans as in have pressure cooker will travel. Still vegetarian, just low carb one. At least some of us, the carbohydrates just dont trigger the FULL message to our brains.

Remember farmers dont fatten hogs for market on protein or fat, they fatten them on carbohydrates in form of grain. Good healthy whole grain.... You for sure need some carbohydrates, your brain for instance can only be fueled by glucose, but honestly you eat enough calories (plant foods), you are pretty sure to get both adequate protein and adequate carbs. The problem is the modern diet is super high carb. Carbs are cheap and very profitable and very addictive at least to some of us. Great for the food corporations, not so good for the individual.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:03 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
There is this whole movement of 'big is beautiful'. While I understand that everyone is different and that sometimes 'larger than average' people can be fit and healthy, there seems to be a push to accept being overweight as natural and beautiful.

Again, I realize some people have medical issues that contribute to weight gain but at the same time I can not help but think a lot of people are reconciling their obesity with excuses of "its just who I am, accept me" instead of healthy eating and exercise habits.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:14 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
There is this whole movement of 'big is beautiful'. While I understand that everyone is different and that sometimes 'larger than average' people can be fit and healthy, there seems to be a push to accept being overweight as natural and beautiful.

Again, I realize some people have medical issues that contribute to weight gain but at the same time I can not help but think a lot of people are reconciling their obesity with excuses of "its just who I am, accept me" instead of healthy eating and exercise habits.
I agree. As we are trying to become more accepting in our society and not promote any type of body shaming, we are also promoting that being big is perfectly fine. And in some cases it is. But there are all kinds of health risks with being over a certain weight.
I think a lot of people now no longer consider themselves overweight or if they do its okay because it's the new normal.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:56 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I agree. As we are trying to become more accepting in our society and not promote any type of body shaming, we are also promoting that being big is perfectly fine. And in some cases it is. But there are all kinds of health risks with being over a certain weight.
I think a lot of people now no longer consider themselves overweight or if they do its okay because it's the new normal.

Accepting overweight people & not shaming them.........is very far removed from calling overweight “normal” or healthy IMO.....

Everyone would rather be thin than overweight.....but lots of people don’t care to do anything about it.....

What makes people not care? Depression....alcohol.....stress.......

Old 11-24-2019, 11:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Accepting overweight people & not shaming them.........is very far removed from calling overweight “normal” or healthy IMO.....

Everyone would rather be thin than overweight.....but lots of people don’t care to do anything about it.....

What makes people not care? Depression....alcohol.....stress.......
Or how about just not caring? You don't have to have a mental issue other than its far easier to put it on than it is to take it off. Losing weight is hard, and for a lot of people its just not worth the aggravation.

There is a new normal - its appears to be about 20 pounds more than it used to be.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:10 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Or how about just not caring? You don't have to have a mental issue other than its far easier to put it on than it is to take it off. Losing weight is hard, and for a lot of people its just not worth the aggravation.

There is a new normal - its appears to be about 20 pounds more than it used to be.

Depression is not the *only reason* tho.....but there is a reason for not caring.....there is a reason to everything we do IMO. I also said stress.....alcohol.....denial......but not caring doesn’t make being overweight normal. Even 20# can make a difference in health & make somebody at risk for gaining more weight....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness