Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 01:00 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie15 View Post
People use to be so trim for the most part.

Id love to see some kind of study on this.

Who cares about the food anymore. Whats up with people with no self esteem.
Maybe their self esteem is UP, so they accept themselves as they are? I don't know.

The U S is in the midst of an obesity and diabetes type 2 epidemic. I've read enough to think that is linked to the reliance on fast food/processed foods for regular meals, coupled with less physical activity on a regular basis.

There have been all sorts of studies on the weight and health and stats of Americans, and the causes for weight gain, bad health, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 01:30 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Go vegetarian, exercise and dance often, and you will be happy and be healthy. Ignore the TV propaganda. Learn to cook from scratch: cheaper and better.

I like this! My wife and I will soon retire to Chiang Mai Thailand which is definitely one of the vegan capitals of the world. I'd venture to say they have around 25 vegan restaurants in this town and they are on the cutting edge of developing top notch recipes. I'm not vegan yet but I can see making the transition. An added bonus is food over there is very very cheap. Plus they are world known for yoga and meditation.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:33 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
Not to mention the scores of scientists in the food industry working to find that "bliss point" to make junk food irresistible. Even a term for it "mouth-feel".

It's a losing battle, people. LOL. Like nicotine---food is made addictive on purpose.

Seems the only answer is to stay away from processed foods entirely...

Old 09-24-2019, 03:39 PM

22,313 posts, read 29,395,806 times
Because you can post fake pictures of yourself on the internet and get dates...

Old 09-24-2019, 03:40 PM

5,144 posts, read 3,074,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Because you can post fake pictures of yourself on the internet and get dates...
Winner winner! Fried chicken dinner!

Old 09-24-2019, 04:06 PM

88,506 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nope, no fried chicken, but I did have TV dinners when I went to my friend’s house and her parents went out for the evening. They were a treat.

Interestingly, my youngest grandchild, a toddler, goes to a daycare in which the children go outside to play every day, rain or shine. They are expected to dress appropriately for the weather. The lady who runs it is old school. She even bakes bread for them every day.
LOL, laughed about that. I ate fried chicken once a year when we took my grandmother out to dinner for her birthday. They had this wonderful thing on the menu called "Chicken in a basket", which was fried chicken and french fries. I thought it was heavenly, and my mother never made chicken like that!

Old 09-24-2019, 04:21 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,358 times
Lack of exercise, sitting eating junk food while playing video games with parents who doesn’t monitor or don’t care. Parents just as heavy. We use to play outside till we were made to come in for dinner, we rode our bikes, roller skating, played kickball, walked to the store plus P.E. and recess 3 times a day at school. Fast food was a treat not a way of life.

I Worked full time and still cooked dinner for my family as well as a lot of other working families I know so that isn’t a great excuse. My dil cooks her meals ahead of time.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:42 PM

88,506 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I'll point the finger of blame at the Western American Diet as the reason that people are overweight or obese. There's lots of theories out there, my belief is that we eat too much. We're encouraged to eat, eat, eat. Eat a big breakfast it's the most important meal of the day, eat snacks, eat lunch, eat dinner. Eat to celebrate holidays, birthdays, promotions, or we eat when we're stressed, unhappy, bored. We're constantly eating and snacking. Then our insulin levels spike and crash all day long and we get hangry, so we eat even more. Exercise cannot fix all the overeating we do. Eventually we become insulin resistant and the downward spiral continues.

We need to eat less period. That's where our trouble is.

I think there was a shift in the size of the portions we eat from what it used to be, too. People expect to go to a restaurant now and get enough food on their plate to feed three or four people. Pasta was supposed to be a first dish, or appetizer, now it's a platter. Mom made our school sandwiches with a couple of slices of cold cuts/leftover meat or a spread of tuna salad. Now you go to a deli and the sandwich filling is piled higher than your mouth can open. We're not eating normal amounts of food.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:05 PM

538 posts, read 731,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Go vegetarian, exercise and dance often, and you will be happy and be healthy. Ignore the TV propaganda. Learn to cook from scratch: cheaper and better.

You are right. Except I'd say go vegan instead of vegetarian. Eat WHOLE foods. WFPB...Whole Food Plant Based. NO added fats/oils. Worked for me.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I think there was a shift in the size of the portions we eat from what it used to be, too. People expect to go to a restaurant now and get enough food on their plate to feed three or four people. Pasta was supposed to be a first dish, or appetizer, now it's a platter. Mom made our school sandwiches with a couple of slices of cold cuts/leftover meat or a spread of tuna salad. Now you go to a deli and the sandwich filling is piled higher than your mouth can open. We're not eating normal amounts of food.
Yes the portions are huge anymore in restaurants and supersizes at fast food places. When I went to Italy and Asia their food portions were small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness