Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:30 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Trt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 02:02 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Time out!

Please ignore all advice about T-levels & replacement therapy. To begin with, the normal range is too wide to be meaningful for the guy in the normal range. If yours is below normal, then you have testicular failure or pituitary failure. That's a separate medical problem....Not to mention, testosterone supplements are like throwing fertilizer on your prostate cancer or coronary artery disease. No benefit and big down side to taking testosterone.

Secondly, why do think anabolic steroids work, or how did the caliph get those big, strong eunuchs for guarding the harem? Castration. Easier to grow muscle if your levels are low.

Muscle is built in exactly the same way you develop calluses on your hands: tear down the tissue, then give it time to heal . It comes back a little thicker. ...You will build muscle if you exercise hard enough to break down muscle but give it long enough to grow back. Middle age guys don't heal as fast as younger guys. Your rest periods between sessions must be long enough. Everyone is different, so you have to determine your own schedule by trial and error.

Someone above mentioned supplements to increase GH levels. That's BS. They don't,...But you can increase your own just by exercising. As blood sugar falls, GH is secreted in increased amounts. MotherNature knows what she's doing.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:11 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Time out!

Please ignore all advice about T-levels & replacement therapy. To begin with, the normal range is too wide to be meaningful for the guy in the normal range. If yours is below normal, then you have testicular failure or pituitary failure. That's a separate medical problem....Not to mention, testosterone supplements are like throwing fertilizer on your prostate cancer or coronary artery disease. No benefit and big down side to taking testosterone.

No benefit? Explain to me the coronary artery disease caused by testosterone. Thats the first time I've heard that. It does thicken your blood, so recommended you donate blood every 3 months, which I do. Also, Ipamorelin is the safest of all peptides. I have prescriptions for both. So you're saying I should stop them and suffer from less energy?

Old 09-27-2019, 02:46 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
No benefit? Explain to me the coronary artery disease caused by testosterone. Thats the first time I've heard that. It does thicken your blood, so recommended you donate blood every 3 months, which I do. Also, Ipamorelin is the safest of all peptides. I have prescriptions for both. So you're saying I should stop them and suffer from less energy?

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/...e-heart-risk#1

Intutitive proof--men are generally at greater risk of CAD than women.

Testosterone has no real effect on energy metabolism or neurological function, so why should you feel more pep if you take it?

They developed transdermal patches 20 y/a or so, which made it possible to easily administer drugs that previously required parenteral administration ("shots"). They found they could give testosterone by this method, so now they're looking for a disease to treat with it. Advertising works.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/...e-heart-risk#1

Intutitive proof--men are generally at greater risk of CAD than women.

Testosterone has no real effect on energy metabolism or neurological function, so why should you feel more pep if you take it?

They developed transdermal patches 20 y/a or so, which made it possible to easily administer drugs that previously required parenteral administration ("shots"). They found they could give testosterone by this method, so now they're looking for a disease to treat with it. Advertising works.
So thats only in men 65 and older. I've noticed a huge energy difference, so I don't know how you can say it has no affect.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:55 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
How bad is your scoliosis?

I have an 11 deg curvature of the spine (mild scoliosis) and at that level at least, I can say 100% that the advice to stay away from squats and deadlifts is WRONG!

Those movements will help build up the muscle strength in the lower back the best which makes issues of the spine less serious and injuries less prone to happening. You just want to stay away from max lifts imo, I usually do a 3-5 rep max set.

Now I'm not a doctor so I'll only speak from by own experience. If your spine is like 45 deg or something really bad, then maybe there are other issues that come into play that I don't experience.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:29 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Roids or as Docs like to call it Testosterone replacement, Low T, etc. I've never done them, but have always wanted to try. My fear is once you start T, you're essentially stuck doing them the rest of your life since your body reacts by decreasing natural production and your boys turn into raisins.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:47 AM

4,950 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
5. There is nothing wrong with leg extensions

They are horrible, and damaged my own knees over time:
The #1 Knee Killing Exercise in the Gym - How leg extensions are destroying your knees

For the OP:
You may wish to consider wall squats, either with or without a stability ball.
I simply use a wall in a hack squat position with dumbbells hanging at both sides.
Best of luck.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Roids or as Docs like to call it Testosterone replacement, Low T, etc. I've never done them, but have always wanted to try. My fear is once you start T, you're essentially stuck doing them the rest of your life since your body reacts by decreasing natural production and your boys turn into raisins.
I guess I'm running that risk. A reputable doctor who understands the effects will also prescribe hcg to counteract that. Also, every 12 weeks you go off it for a couple of weeks and take clomaphine (sp?) to get your body producing it normally again. I probably could go off it, but I'm addicted to the better sleep, more energy, better mood, etc.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
They are horrible, and damaged my own knees over time:
The #1 Knee Killing Exercise in the Gym - How leg extensions are destroying your knees

For the OP:
You may wish to consider wall squats, either with or without a stability ball.
I simply use a wall in a hack squat position with dumbbells hanging at both sides.
Best of luck.

I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me the same thing and I know that leg extensions usually show up on any list of the worst exercises. I think the reason is most people do them wrong. I do them and leg presses as a warmup before doing squats. I have a torn meniscus in my right knee and I do them one leg at a time. I have to start with negatives only with my right leg. After a couple sets of negatives, I can then do a positive set with weight. I do them slowly, with no jerky motion, and hold for a second at the top. My knee actually feels much better afterwards and I'm ready to do squats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness