Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 06:56 AM

599 posts, read 498,711 times

Advertisements

It's all about reducing carbs to the lowest level possible, until you get to where you are at a healthy, stable, lifetime weight. I'm down seventy pounds in the last year. I am much older that you, and have been "dieting" for most of my life. Most dietary information available in this society is garbage, with ZERO actually evidence that it works at all, and no solid science to back up the claims made. Epidemiological studies (essentially self-reported food surveys that are the basis of much of the world of modern diet study) are not science, so literally 95% of everything you read, or are told by "experts" is essentially worthless.

When you stop 90% + of your carb intake, you halt the cycle of spiking and crashing insulin levels, and the craving go away. I now easily go 18 to 20 hours without eating, or feeling hungry, which is simply impossible if you are a carb addict in the vain of most westerners on the SAD diet. The other thing is exercise. Yes it helps, a bit. A bit, as in it might contribute to 10% or less of your overall weight loss, IF you do it religiously. Following a low carb lifestyle with Paleo, Keto or even Carnivore will have you losing 100 to 150 lbs in the next year. Sitting down with a SAD trained "dietician" or "nutritionist" and following their "eat whole grains and count calories" non-sense, WILL keep you fat, sick and depressed, for many year to come. Good luck, you can do this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 07:40 AM

445 posts, read 219,895 times
Watch the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Go on a juice cleanse, then get back on track as others have mentioned with daily moderate exercise (walking, swimming) and diet changes to fruits, vegetables, and lean meat (fish). Good luck.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:26 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy01 View Post
Well the 340 is not all fat, i do have muscle and high bone index. My wife and I do not eat fast food at all cant even remember the last time i had a burger from one of those places, and we do not keep soda or chips/snacks in the house, maybe nuts at most. I am a director of nursing and see patients outside of my office setting. Try to walk around the block 3 times once a day. And on weekends wife and I try to be active. Either walk in the city or go out to events. We rarely eat out, do home cooking mostly and if i do order lunch at work its usually a salad or sushi, roasted chicken with rice and salad, very rarely something bad like cheesestake. Trying to stay away from eggs in the am but do have them at times, started to eat cottage cheese in the morning. As shocking as it sounds i hate bacon and do never eat dessert. Rarely drink beer but so enjoy my spirits, not on a daily bases, not even weekly some months.
I don't see how you could eat like this and stay at 340. You should lose weight.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I was a big energy drink consumer. Funny because I was tired all the time. I stopped drinking them and then stopped taking anything with sugar or sweetener in it.

Breakfast is oatmeal with an apple in it. Sometimes I will have some eggs and bacon as well. I drink water with breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Lunch is raw vegetables with no dressing. I eat leafy greens, celery sticks, carrots, broccoli, oranges, apples, and the occasional banana. I eat a lot of this stuff. I have so much with me at work that during break I eat what is left.

Dinner is sporadic. Most of the time its more of the vegetables. Additionally I limit the portion size of what I eat.

Lots of water all day long.

Working out is great and all. If you don't change your diet then I don't know how successful you will become. I know I am dropping weight. I am down to 193 lbs. I had been 226.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:28 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
It's all about reducing carbs to the lowest level possible, until you get to where you are at a healthy, stable, lifetime weight. I'm down seventy pounds in the last year. I am much older that you, and have been "dieting" for most of my life. Most dietary information available in this society is garbage, with ZERO actually evidence that it works at all, and no solid science to back up the claims made. Epidemiological studies (essentially self-reported food surveys that are the basis of much of the world of modern diet study) are not science, so literally 95% of everything you read, or are told by "experts" is essentially worthless.

When you stop 90% + of your carb intake, you halt the cycle of spiking and crashing insulin levels, and the craving go away. I now easily go 18 to 20 hours without eating, or feeling hungry, which is simply impossible if you are a carb addict in the vain of most westerners on the SAD diet. The other thing is exercise. Yes it helps, a bit. A bit, as in it might contribute to 10% or less of your overall weight loss, IF you do it religiously. Following a low carb lifestyle with Paleo, Keto or even Carnivore will have you losing 100 to 150 lbs in the next year. Sitting down with a SAD trained "dietician" or "nutritionist" and following their "eat whole grains and count calories" non-sense, WILL keep you fat, sick and depressed, for many year to come. Good luck, you can do this!
Lots of people do fine eating carbs and I am one of them. I lost weight and have been maintaining without ever changing my carb intake. But I don't eat junk food, fast food, prepackaged foods.

EVERYONE is different and the diet they should follow is the one they can stick with in the long term and it should not be difficult. If lowering carbs achieves that then great. If not that is fine too.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I am about to hit 34 y/o and really need to start BSing and get my stuff together. I have been big since child birth. My whole life always been overweight and always dieting and going to the gym with very min results. I have had trainers, i have tried the big weight loss programs and so on. I have moved to the city and have a basement where i can work out to youtube videos or whatever i find online. I find it better for me to follow instructions, since going to the gym myself, because i just find myself doing random machines that i dont know if i should be doing. I know the proper way to diet but have stop following it since the new job, new house, new stress. But i have come to a conclusion that i have to do something now before it is to late. My new job is behind a desk for over 8 hrs a day and need to start moving around.

My question is what are some good exercises/videos to start with that are low impact on joints and even though i know to eat low carbs, no sugar, and portion control. i would still like for someone to pitch in and help me setup a meal plan that i can follow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have been working out on and off with these videos. Any thoughts on them?
you are already setting yourself up for failure (intentionally) by focusing on something that doesnt even matter. you dont need to exercise, you need to diet. diet down to a normal weight and then worry about exercise.

also, suggesting that getting a new job/house/stress is a reason to go off of a normal diet is just a silly excuse. there is nothing causing you to go off your diet except for your own lack of interest in maintaining a healthy weight.

bottom line is that you arent going to get anywhere until you want to get somewhere; which you havent yet.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:22 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I am about to hit 34 y/o and really need to start BSing and get my stuff together. I have been big since child birth. My whole life always been overweight and always dieting and going to the gym with very min results.
]
Fasting with Cole Robinson's Snake Juice! (salt mixture for electrolytes) He's on Youtube, and he has a ton of pics on Instagram "Snake Diet Wizard". Trigger warning: If you're thin skinned, you wont like this guy cause he sounds like a mean sergeant yelling at recruits, but he's on a mission and tons of people have said he saved their lives with his his fasting focused lifestyle. I personally like him and I've been maintaining a 25 pound weight loss, but he IS a little crazy, and I don't do some of his more extreme suggestions.

There's another fasting advocate on Youtube named Dr. Jason Fung. He explains things in a more clinical way if that more your style. But either way, ya gotta stop eating! 300 pounders don't usually live into old old age!

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2019, 07:16 PM

599 posts, read 498,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Lots of people do fine eating carbs and I am one of them. I lost weight and have been maintaining without ever changing my carb intake. But I don't eat junk food, fast food, prepackaged foods.

EVERYONE is different and the diet they should follow is the one they can stick with in the long term and it should not be difficult. If lowering carbs achieves that then great. If not that is fine too.
If "lots of people do fine eating carbs" we wouldn't live in a society where the vast majority of our carb and sugar over fed inhabitants were overweight or obese. If, as you claim, you are not loading your body with junk calories, you are eating a lot less carbs that the average SAD consumer in this country. If you eat clean, and have always done so, you are an exception to the norm. If you claim that you have never changed your carb intake, I am highly suspicious, as you would be a real outlier when you claim to have lost weight without doing so. Have you maintained a well documented data base of your carb intake before and after you lost weight? If so you would be a real unicorn, when it comes to verifiable data on weight loss.

I'm pretty sure that if you really give it some thought, you will admit that your carb consumption, post weight loss, is quite a bit lower than in the past. The average westerner eats a huge percentage of, as you say, "junk, prepackaged and fast food" and likely has a far higher carb consumption than you do.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:02 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
If "lots of people do fine eating carbs" we wouldn't live in a society where the vast majority of our carb and sugar over fed inhabitants were overweight or obese. If, as you claim, you are not loading your body with junk calories, you are eating a lot less carbs that the average SAD consumer in this country. If you eat clean, and have always done so, you are an exception to the norm. If you claim that you have never changed your carb intake, I am highly suspicious, as you would be a real outlier when you claim to have lost weight without doing so. Have you maintained a well documented data base of your carb intake before and after you lost weight? If so you would be a real unicorn, when it comes to verifiable data on weight loss.

I'm pretty sure that if you really give it some thought, you will admit that your carb consumption, post weight loss, is quite a bit lower than in the past. The average westerner eats a huge percentage of, as you say, "junk, prepackaged and fast food" and likely has a far higher carb consumption than you do.
People overeat bad food. Fast food, baked goods, sugary foods. And supersizing portions. That is what is causing the obesity epidemic.

I lost 40 pounds 12 years ago eating whole wheat bread, whole grains like quinoa, faro, black and brown rice and OMG pasta!!!! And sourdough bread!!! How did that happen?

I watched my caloric intake and exercised. I still watch my caloric intake and I still exercise, but I am maintaining. I eat from all the food groups I just stay away from sugary baked goods, fast food, deep-fried food, fatty meats, chain restaurants, etc... In other words I eat minimally processed foods and I am very healthy.

Low carb does work great for a lot of people. And I am not criticizing that. My point is that as far as losing weight goes there is no one size fits all. The biggest reason low carb ever fails is because it is very hard for a lot of people to eliminate food groups for an extended period of time.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:10 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Go get a physical to see where you are at.

Create a food plan that you can do for the rest of your life.

Start working out 4 to 5 days a week.

Keep doing the above until you die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness