Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 04:42 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,660 times

Advertisements

First of all, "in shape" does not mean we all look like fitness models. Like any gym, mine are people of all shapes and sizes. I do not know their fitness level, genetic make up, etc. There are some skinny people I see who cannot walk half a mile and bigger people who can run marathons. And how do we know that some people are not on steroids, like some body builder types?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 07:02 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
First of all, "in shape" does not mean we all look like fitness models. Like any gym, mine are people of all shapes and sizes. I do not know their fitness level, genetic make up, etc. There are some skinny people I see who cannot walk half a mile and bigger people who can run marathons. And how do we know that some people are not on steroids, like some body builder types?
I wonder how many people read my original post

Old 02-15-2020, 07:03 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think it's a dumb question too. People go to the gym to get in shape or at least stay healthy. So you might see the chubby man or woman that is in better shape than the thinner person next to them who cant run 5 miles without collapsing. Being in shape goes beyond looks. But if you judge everyone just by watching them from a distance than yes, you are just ignorant.

Now, are you asking how many beautiful people with sport illustrated bodies going to my gym, not many. Not in the city of Chicago anyways. Lol
I dont think it is a dumb question

Old 02-18-2020, 09:19 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
I would say 2/3rds are in shape at my Planet Fitness. Most of them are below 30 or so and many are young enough to be my grandchildren. I have been going for about 3 years and while I am not a hunk, I am better than most my age. Trying not to get fat in retirement and I want to watch my waist line. I do think I have more developed biceps and broader chest since working out. I try to do as much as I can without getting hurt which is y main fear. Days that I don't go to the gym, I use the elliptical at home. So many of these younger guys probably played sports in HS and have been working out for many years.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
[quote=elchevere;56664385]75% at mine...even though 1/2 of the 75% spend 5 minutes texting in between sets.[/QUOTE
My BIGGEST pet peave!!!

Old 02-20-2020, 04:10 PM

1,846 posts, read 832,803 times
Depends on the location and time.
At the wealthier gym close to where I work i'd say around 75-85%. It also tends to be people under the age of 40 with a large number of late teens to late twenties.
The gym closer to my house is closer to 50-60ish%. People under the age of thirty are a rare sight, but the medium age is probably around 40.
Where I use to live after around 10PM it was around 90% of gym goers. It was also very common for everyone there to be under the age of 30 or in retirement age, along with a large number of Asian.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:15 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like it. It's cheap, and as someone pointed out, there ARE more older and/or out-of-shape people there than you will find in some other gyms. There are also people in decent shape and younger people, but the serious bodybuilders and gym rats aren't there. That's fine with me.

You do get a few of the young types who seem to primarily go there to show off their spiffy outfits while they sit at a machine and look at their phones, but most people seem to be there because they are trying to get into better physical shape than they are, and most of them seem to be minding their own business about it.
Mighty queen, your post pushed me to join PF. Everything you stated above is true. I’m really enjoying it.

Thanks for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness