Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 02:32 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

I think it is a safety hazard for everyone. I'm just waiting for someone to trip over the dog or drop a weight on it, etc, and then that person will get blamed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 02:33 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Service dogs should not be roaming around. They are right next to their owner.
Depending on whether it is a real service dog or just the guy's pet. People abuse the service animal privileges all the time.
I love dogs, most of the time more than people, but I am just not seeing the need for a service animal in a gym. especially if it is unleashed. If its a real service dog it will be trained as such, but if its not then it's just not the best idea to have a dog roaming around a gym.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:42 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
No matter what his need for a service dog happens to be, it shouldn't be roaming loose. If he doesn't need the dog's assistance while using the gym, it should lat least be under his immediate control (like tethered where he's working). I'd check with gym management...they may not realize who's taking liberties. It isn't really a question whether the dog is permitted or not.

A work colleague at a previous office of mine had a service dog. She was legally blind and used the dog to navigate from place to place, but she could work with enhanced monitor/visual aids. Once she arrived at her desk the dog was sort of "off duty", but it wasn't just left to wander around. Sure, we cube dwellers on either side of her knew the dog well and didn't mind if it stuck its nose in to visit briefly (wonderful dog who was always welcome), but free roaming the building? No way. A very valuable dog to risk getting injured.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-02-2019 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-02-2019, 02:49 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Leash the dog.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:55 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The dog is not on a leash. Not sure how busy your gyms are but here in Denver at 6:30 in the am they are busy!! You have people in all sections of the gym and doing jump rope, lunging squats, etc. People are constantly moving around.
^^^ This is something that might be addressed:
The ADA requires that service animals be under the control of the handler at all times. The service animal must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered while in public places unless these devices interfere with the service animal's work or the person's disability prevents the use of these devices.
https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Quote:
The guy is NOT psychically disabled. This is the first time I've seen him in 5 years of going there. He was walking chest puffed out just fine strolling around the gym
Generally, it's not up to you to decide if someone needs a service dog or not. The disability don't need to be obvious or visible. Service dogs aren't just for visually impaired.

For example: Can you spot a person with diabetes?
Diabetic Alert Dogs are trained to alert diabetic owners in advance of low (hypoglycemia) or high (hyperglycemia) blood sugar events before they become dangerous. That way their handlers can take steps to return their blood sugar to normal such as using glucose sweets or taking insulin.

There are Medical Alert and Response Dogs. Medical alert dogs can warn their owners about impending crisis situations, monitor heart disease, or cancer. They can sniff out a medical threat in advance.
You probably didn't hear about that.

It is the ability to perform observable tasks, on command, that distinguishes a service dog from an emotional support dog, therapy dog or other working dogs.

https://www.rover.com/blog/role-medi...heart-disease/

Old 12-02-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:

The guy is NOT psychically disabled. This is the first time I've seen him in 5 years of going there. He was walking chest puffed out just fine strolling around the gym
You need to educate yourself OP.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
It was probably there, one way or another, to provide support, enjoyment and comfort
for its human-companion......so I think this probably makes it a necessity as far as
laws/rules/regulations regarding service-animals!

Some people may not appear that much in need of their
animal-based support, but once gone, they have LOTS of problems.

Please be kind and accepting of emotional-comfort-animals.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if service dogs are allowed in gyms? Now there's a guy with a "service" dog with no leash in the gym. Everybody was like wtf. I don't want to worry about stepping around a dog while I'm trying to work out. Is this even allowed?? Give me a f-ing break
What??? If someone needs a service dog, they have no business being in a gym. That’s absurd.

There are absolutely no animals allowed in our gym.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:45 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Ask the staff about it. That is the best option I think.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What??? If someone needs a service dog, they have no business being in a gym. That’s absurd.
Are you suggesting no person who needs a service animal can belong to a privately-owned/operated fitness establishment? That someone with impaired sight or hearing shouldn't be permitted to use gym equipment even if management provided proper safety orientation? A loose service dog in a gym is one thing. Barring disabled people from gyms is another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness