Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 01:26 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
When I mentioned a marathon, I was thinking of something like the Boston Marathon which is about 26 miles and takes about 2 1/2 hours for the winner, and a bit longer for everyone else. It sounds like your friends use a marathon as a good excuse for an all day party... or perhaps several days.
Well no, it sounds like hunter's friends do ultras, which are anything above 26.2 miles and the longer the better Food requirements are way different for those. I do endurance cycling which is the same mindset. We train ourselves to eat on the move because you absolutely need nourishment when you're doing long distance.

I've done a few half marathons and may have a gel or two during them. That's only 100-300 calories total though.

OP - when I ride in the morning, I go out on an empty stomach. I bring a gel flask with me, and fluids of course. Sometimes a stroopwaffle. Often times I will finish my ride and may have only had a swig of gu. Sometimes I am halfway home and suddenly starving. If usually start to get hungry around the 3 hour mark.

Personally I would not be able to eat fruit before a workout, and usually not during either. I do like a fruit smoothie afterwards in the heat of the summer though.

When I am training for an event, I may do some workouts with a bit of food prior, to get my stomach used to it, but I find eating 2-3 hours before is usually good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 07:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
Plain Fayge yogurt and fruit salad:

I'm wondering if this is too much sugar?

I'm trying to shred/lead up. So I'm watching my calories as well.
If you want to shred, you should be doing fasting cardio. Cardio on an empty stomach.

You need to be living on eggs, tuna, and green beans.

Weight lifting in the evening, cardio first thing in the AM.

NO SUGAR!

Your meal is something out of a 1980s diet book.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I get it from stored energy. How do you think people do marathons that last for hours? Do you think they stop every 30-40 minutes to have a meal?
I've run 23 marathons and we do gel packs along the way. One about every hour and I run a 5 hour marathon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My ultra marathon friends stop all the time! And they eat while they run. They're all crazy and many of them are in their 70s.
Yes, everyone stops and walks. When Frank Shorter set the world marathon record, he stopped and walked.

Marathoners for the most part have crap eating habits, drink a lot of beer, and party like hell.

I set my own personal marathon record after a night of partying in New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness