Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 07:25 AM

894 posts, read 586,518 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this belongs here or under the Teaching category but here goes:

I'm semi-new to a pre-school and work with 3-year-olds. The lead teacher makes disobedient kids run 2 to 3 laps around the school gym during recess as pubishment.

Isn't this a cruel & potentially dangerous punishment for such young kids? Some of them are very little kids!

Should I inform the director? Or am I over-reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 07:45 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
I wouldn't call it cruel. Rather it's dumb because it makes kids associate fitness with punishment. It was very common in school, esp PE when I grew up and made me hate anything to do with fitness. In fact it is so associated with punishment that when we coached soccer and would have the kids jog a couple of laps as part of the conditioning routine, we actually had parents complain to us about "why were we punishing the kids by having them run?"

Old 12-22-2019, 07:57 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,448,725 times
If the world could harness the physical energy of 3 year old boys.......We wouldn't need solar panels. In my experience its is HARD to stop them from running around. AS for punishment, make them stand still on one foot for 5 minutes....grin.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
I'd be curious to hear more. I've certainly told my kids to run around the park, run up and down stairs a few times, to vent excess energy and it's not been done in a negative way.

Is this done in a really punitive way, for an infraction that didn't involve excess energy? If a kid can't sit still at all during story circle, that would be a good idea to have them run off that pent up energy.

But not for, say, breaking someone else's property or calling someone a name.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:32 PM

894 posts, read 586,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'd be curious to hear more. I've certainly told my kids to run around the park, run up and down stairs a few times, to vent excess energy and it's not been done in a negative way.

Is this done in a really punitive way, for an infraction that didn't involve excess energy? If a kid can't sit still at all during story circle, that would be a good idea to have them run off that pent up energy.

But not for, say, breaking someone else's property or calling someone a name.
She always specifies that it's for punishment. For example, she'll say stuff to them like "Since you were talking instead of paying attention, you'll do 3 laps during recess" or she'll say "Since you won't follow directions in class, you'll run 3 laps in the gym at recess."

And usually the kids cry before, during, & after the laps. They definitely never enjoy doing them. I'm concerned because 3 continuous laps around a school gym seems too exhausting & too unreasonable for 3-year-olds.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
It's a bad idea for elementary kids, but for preschoolers it borders on abuse.

Exercise should never be used as punishment. It's a lazy move by the director. I'd be interested to hear what their accrediting agency says about it.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:07 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
totally bad idea

Old 12-22-2019, 01:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
It might be that the kids NEED to run around to discharge energy. And why is she expecting 3 year olds to pay attention to anything? Their natural attention span is probably about 30 seconds.

My advice is to find a better preschool to work at. This teacher is just off base.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:44 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I wouldn't call it cruel. Rather it's dumb because it makes kids associate fitness with punishment. It was very common in school, esp PE when I grew up and made me hate anything to do with fitness. In fact it is so associated with punishment that when we coached soccer and would have the kids jog a couple of laps as part of the conditioning routine, we actually had parents complain to us about "why were we punishing the kids by having them run?"
Totally agree. Fitness/running should be associates with something fun at that age. . not turning them off for fitness activities later in life

Old 12-22-2019, 03:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
I would check with your state’s minimum standards. In Texas any type of “physical activity” is against those standards and a facility, and ultimately, an individual could be charged with child abuse. I’d get with your boss, who should be up on minimum standards, and confirm with them. Do a google search to see where your state says. As an employee of the daycare you are a mandatory reporter and if your standards say it is not allowed you are legally required to report that to your department of child protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness