Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 05:20 PM

343 posts, read 353,137 times

Advertisements

Is there a minimum size for the cities?

In my personal experience I would say Portland Oregon, Bend, Seattle, Wenatchee Washington, Coeur D Alene Idaho, Missoula and Bozeman Montana are the top candidates for the pacific northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 10:07 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I see a lot of fit people in Chicago when I would visit my son. Even older people. He lived in a nice neighborhood, though, close to downtown and with stores/shops everywhere nearby. People walked everywhere. I spent most of my time there and downtown, of course, so I'm not sure about the suburbs.
I am in suburban Chicago and it seems pretty fit compared to other places I’ve lived. I don’t know anyone who drives into the city to work. They all take the commuter Metra and then from the Metra, people typically try to walk to their destination from the train station unless it is too far a walk or they have health issues. I know of a lot of people who walk to the station on both ends. I think a coworker’s husband walks to the station in the morning and then walks a mile or two during the day to get to/from his office when the weather allows for it. I work in the suburbs, but from what I can tell, the people in this office are a lot more fitness oriented than they were in my last office in Jacksonville, Florida. There are a lot of good forest preserves for hiking/biking/running/walking in the suburbs that provide a variety of free recreation opportunities. We have one forest preserve with a stair workout area and some weekend mornings in good weather, they even have police directing traffic because it gets so popular. People in Chicago love their forest preserves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness