Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 10:03 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times

Advertisements

Since the 70s when I was in my 20s. I guess I invented it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 06:50 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Couple of months now.....have been doing strict 16/8.

Like it, disciplined but not so crazy that it is hard to stick to.

One kinda drawback for me is 16/8 is putting me into deep-ketosis. I eat very low-carb, but usually do not go into deep ketosis because I eat too much protein. Well, since starting 16/8, my diet really has not changed, but the longer periods of no food is putting me into that deeper state of ketosis, which I do not really want at this time. I can tell because I have done strict keto and I know what it feels like............wired feeling, cannot sleep more than 5 or so hours, restless with more energy, better strength, kinda a mild euphoric feeling at times. Guess I will have to knock-back a little more carbs.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:40 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
Anyone been doing this long-term, 5 years or longer? I've been doing this since April and love it. I don't know if it's healthier but it's done wonders for flattening my stomach and helping me control cravings. Wondering what the effects are long-term.
It's healthier.

Scientifically proven.

Good on you.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:13 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I haven't done the IF variations where you are concerned with the hours as much. I did 5:2 for over a year to lose weight and then transitioned to 6:1 to maintain. I would only eat dinner those days I was fasting. However, I could never give up the coffee so I always "cheated" with a little coffee in the morning (and I can't do it black so I do end up with some calories.)

Maintenance was really great for a year and a half. Then I was tired of calorie counting. Even though I put some weight back on I have always managed to keep at least twenty pounds off that highest number I ever had (in 2013!) but usually I am 25-30 pounds below that initial number without calorie counting. I will say---counting calories for around three years DID make me very aware and I find that it's always in the back of my mind somewhere even to this day.

Recently, I felt like I was gaining weight again so I decided to go back to 5:2. I am finding it very difficult because of the hours I work---it makes the timing very awkward for everything. But I am trying. My diet has been terrible for months and I must have been retaining so much extra water weight (I have been feeling very bloated) because in seven days I am down seven pounds and I am not overweight. Sheesh! No wonder why I was feeling so blargh!

I always go back to this "lifestyle" because it works for me. I did it without any extra workouts, other than attempting to hit 10K steps per day at minimum. (Walking is my primary method of exercise.) It allows me to eat what I want because I am only concerned with calorie counting. I don't cut out any foods because I know I will just binge on them. When I was doing my version of 6:1, I'd have a reasonable number of calories 5 days/week, eat like a pig one day and fast another. It worked so well---that's why I want to get back to it and continue for many years to come. I will say on the days I fast---I do feel colder and sometimes I feel tired---but that was the biggest negative to me.

So I guess I did it for about three years. Then stopped. Hoping to start again! (I have tried a few times before this to restart but I am hoping it sticks this time!)

Old 01-14-2020, 02:38 PM

493 posts, read 980,810 times
I've been doing 16/8 since mid-October. Generally doing pretty well (down 25 pounds) I've also made a few significant diet changes, though, so I'm not sure how much is attributed to the fasting vs. dietary changes. I very rarely ate breakfast, so the only thing different with doing the 16/8 IF is fewer late night snacks; I usually do 1-9 for my 8 hours.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:10 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
I just started 18/6 again after taking a break.

I workout fasted and have the first meal after finishing.

Dropped 11 pounds in a couple days.

I assume it's water because only getting carbs from veggies at the moment.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:56 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
I've been doing it for 40 years, ever since I was a kid. I never have done it deliberately, I just have never eaten breakfast and never get hungry in the morning. I stop eating at 5:00 pm and don't eat anything until 11:00 the next day, so I fast for 18 hours almost every day. It's never been a bother or something difficult to do for me. I am not obsessive about it, once in a great while I'll go out to eat breakfast or will eat later at night, but rarely.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:58 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
Does it put more stress on your body? Have you noticed more aging?
Why would it? Countless studies show the physical benefits of it. The stress on people's bodies comes from carrying around excess weight, not from restricting the time when you eat.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:50 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Right after my youngest daughter was born (almost 28 years ago), I wanted to lose the excess baby weight really fast. I discovered I dropped pounds quickly by eating only one meal a day. I'd have only black coffee and water, and not eat until dinner time, and wasn't hungry or weak all day. I didn't realize it at the time, but this was "Intermittent Fasting". Everyone thought it was "strange" I wouldn't eat breakfast or lunch, only dinner. I lost the baby weight in a matter of weeks.

Note: I wouldn't advise this if you are breastfeeding (I didn't)...this wouldn't be a good idea, as you would need the extra calories and nutrients.

Now, if I want to lose a few pounds fast, I'll occasionally return to this method. It works better for me than counting calories.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:17 AM

492 posts, read 234,627 times
I did it with great success too. Took my waist size all the way to 32. Same size as in High school and I am 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness