Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times

Advertisements

I am very fit and would like to be fitter. I also would not mind spending less time at the gym and being able to do my exercises at home. Currently, I go to the gym 6 days a week and usually do 90 minutes of strength training, followed by 30 mins of cardio (10 mins jump rope, 20 mins of bike or running).

I get that diet is a big part of getting ripped and would certainly be willing to eat whatever I need to in order maximize the program but wanted to know if a guy, 6'2, 190lbs, 4-5% bodyfat would see much benefit from such a program.

I would like to get to 210lbs and maintain 4-5% bodyfat and would like to know if such a program as P90x would be able to help me get there. I am worried I might lose mass as my current strenght training consists of upper body reps of 8 and lower body reps of 10.

If I were to do a home gym it would certainly be a P90x or even a bowflex though I prefer gym equipment, particularly free weights to bowflex. This is part of why I think the P90x is so good because of its incorporation of hand weights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 PM

90 posts, read 623,142 times
Yes, with the right nutrition plan, you can add more muscle (more weight) by using P90X. I havnt finished the program yet (2nd week right now) so I cant go more in depth, but I have seen guys with a similar description as yours, "bulk up" using this program.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

I get that diet is a big part of getting ripped and would certainly be willing to eat whatever I need to in order maximize the program but wanted to know if a guy, 6'2, 190lbs, 4-5% bodyfat would see much benefit from such a program.

I would like to get to 210lbs and maintain 4-5% bodyfat and would like to know if such a program as P90x would be able to help me get there. I am worried I might lose mass as my current strenght training consists of upper body reps of 8 and lower body reps of 10.
I think the program may be more designed for people like you than it is for people like me. There are threads on the boards for 'hardgainers' so I would go there for advice.
You can always try it for 30 days and I think you can send it back if you don't like it.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 6'2, 185 and look decently cut right now. I have a good six pack if I flex and last measured was at 7% body fat.

I'm a little worried that I wouldn't gain much mass, which is ultimately what I want. I can't afford to lose much more weight and might look a little sickly if I did. I would look "ripped" if I could just put on a few more pounds of good muscle.

I'm long and lanky and definitely fall in the hardgainer category. I've been hitting free weights for a few years now and have made significant improvements from my twig like build (with love handles) that I had in college but I've plateaued for a while now on free weights and want to shake it up.

This program would have HUGE benefits for my wife too and I think it would be fun to try together. I need a little more convincing to do on her part though.

Any couples doing it together? How much space does it require for two people at a time? We don't have a ton of room in my condo.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM

My DH and I are doing it together. You don't need tons of room - in fact you don't need much at all. The thing that might be a challenge in a condo might be noise especially during Plyometrics. We're renting a condo at the minute and it's concrete and steel so it's no problem for us, but if you do plyo on wood floors in a wood construction building, you will probably get complaints from your neighbors!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times
what exactly is involved in the plyo workouts? I have a 3rd floor condo with carpet in my "man cave" (spare room). I currently work out in there all the time. If I move the weight bench I should have plenty of room, it's a big room.

My downstairs neighbor is rarely there but I could see if it involved a lot of jumping or something it would be a problem.

God I just want to buy a house...waiting for the market to finally be affected here....which it hasn't much at all

Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I am very fit and would like to be fitter. I also would not mind spending less time at the gym and being able to do my exercises at home. Currently, I go to the gym 6 days a week and usually do 90 minutes of strength training, followed by 30 mins of cardio (10 mins jump rope, 20 mins of bike or running).

If I were to do a home gym it would certainly be a P90x or even a bowflex
though I prefer gym equipment, particularly free weights to bowflex. This is part of why I think the P90x is so good because of its incorporation of hand weights.
I dont think the program is great for gaining muscle. Someone with your low BF% prob would not benifit the way someone who is overweight might. You prob. would gain endurance and learn some new routines/exercises. I think it would be worth trying. I am like you with real low BF% but I am def gonna give the program a try.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I dont think the program is great for gaining muscle. Someone with your low BF% prob would not benifit the way someone who is overweight might. You prob. would gain endurance and learn some new routines/exercises. I think it would be worth trying. I am like you with real low BF% but I am def gonna give the program a try.
Here, have you seen Scrawny2Brawny's Transformation?

http://forums.teambeachbody.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/17410191/m/9531022261?r=5711095361#5711095361

Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert20 View Post
Here, have you seen Scrawny2Brawny's Transformation?

http://forums.teambeachbody.com/grou...361#5711095361
desert - I see the 'pre' pictures, but not the after. I'm curious now!!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 AM

this was his before:

this is after his first round and second round 90 days then 180 days

and this is after his third round days 270
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness