U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 11:29 AM

3,599 posts, read 4,924,903 times

Advertisements

How many people make a full time living in the fitness industry? I mean group exercise leader, personal trainer, etc. with a 2 year diploma in Personal Coaching. This is for a career switch later in life. It seems like it’s all part time work and long hours, late and early. Anyone have any advice on how they make a sane living in this field?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 05:10 PM

8,702 posts, read 4,030,109 times
Buy a health club franchise?

Get a job in sales for an exercise equipment manufacturer?

Old 02-09-2020, 06:32 PM

12,737 posts, read 16,256,313 times
I tried it for a few years, as a side hustle. A lot of preparation, practicing, selecting music, etc. I wouldn't want it as a full time job. Hard on the body.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:02 PM

13,489 posts, read 5,543,637 times
Would you be required to pressure people into contracts for gym memberships and such?

Old 02-09-2020, 10:41 PM

92 posts, read 18,618 times
Wife works as a fitness instructor - Zumba, Step, Barre, etc.

For most doing this (at least where I am) it seems more like a hobby job than anything.

The only real benefit is she doesn't have to pay for her gym membership.
Gets only about 10 hours a week (sometimes more if she is subbing for someone)

It is in my opinion like a giant pyramid scheme with what little your making eaten up by various membership fees on a monthly or yearly basis (Zumba, Canfit Pro, etc) along with going through shoes quite quickly.
Even getting money back when the sound system fried her I-pod was a long drawn out hassle.
Not to mention the wear and tear on the body on what passes for floors there.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:34 AM

5,620 posts, read 3,913,320 times
I think a lot of people think this is one of those cool, hang-out type jobs where you really don't have to work. The few successful personal trainers I know are real sales professionals, and they market themselves constantly. If you work for a larger, corporate gym chances are you'll only receive hourly wages. If you venture out on your own, you'll pay the gym either a monthly fee or a portion of your commissions from clients. Either way, to make a real living you will likely live near or below the poverty line for a while until or unless you build up your clients. And in this business, clients are always coming and going. You can't rely on steady clientele much.

Personally, I would not/could not do it. Not necessarily due to the money but overall I generally would loathe dealing with people all day so directly like that. So many unmotivated, lazy people in this world it would drive me nuts.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:22 PM

6,232 posts, read 2,753,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
How many people make a full time living in the fitness industry? I mean group exercise leader, personal trainer, etc. with a 2 year diploma in Personal Coaching. This is for a career switch later in life. It seems like it’s all part time work and long hours, late and early. Anyone have any advice on how they make a sane living in this field?
I have a friend who is a HS teacher doing personal fitness (virtually- it is more like personal training) and she’s a fitness instructor on the side. She was a certified teacher in another subject before switching over though. She got the job when she was out raising her kids teaching some fitness classes here and there. Even with her job, the hours aren’t regular like a traditional teaching.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:52 PM

1,073 posts, read 380,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I have a graduate degree in sports medicine and am lucky to live in a top area for the industry. Even given all of that, I could not- or chose not to- make it work. I still teach my fitness and yoga classes on the side, but being without benefits or paid time off was just not working once I had kids. I was fortunate to procure a position that had benefits and PTO at one point, but it had such low pay that it was still quite a struggle.
Further, I do not want to ever have to sell anything. Once you throw money all over something, for me, then makes it ugly. I could not bear to have health made ugly. I didn't do personal training for long because of it, and went into the education side, on contract, which circles me back to the beginning of this post.
Some people do well, though, if they are really good at sales and love to personal train. I was neither.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:53 PM

3,599 posts, read 4,924,903 times
Wow thanks for the insight. There has been a lot of money and time spent on this up to now. Doesn’t look like it’s going to get any better and this is the end of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness