Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 11:27 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
How are dumbbells better for strength training? The straight bar bench works more muscles. You also load a lot more weight with the straight bar.
Dumbells require you to have more control...meaning more muscle groups are used to to steady them creating a more well rounded exercise.

Generally you will use a bit less than half of the barbell weight so people that are ego lifting don't like them.

FWIW, when I was lifting I did inclined or flat benches with 110 in each hand as that's all I could control.

Curls were always done lopsided and a wrist twist was incorporated into the curl to work more muscle groups. I could only work out with 50-55# in each hand but could curl far more with a barbell because it only uses the larger groups and lets you cheat out the smaller groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 11:52 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Bench press/decline bench.

Squats seem scary but I've ditched them both over my head and behind me. There's really no fear of getting stuck.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:56 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I guess there are two aspects of "danger":

1) Danger of an injury related to the exercise itself - like, blowing out a knee doing deep squats

2) Danger of an injury related to heavy weights and positions - like dropping a bar on one's throat while bench pressing.

I think item (1) is less concerning than (2), at least for me.
And honestly, I don't think having a spotter really helps with number 1, even if they're an extremely knowledgable coach (and most of them aren't.) Because things go south in a hurry. Or they just happen even when you're doing them correctly.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:49 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Alright folks let’s have a friendly and respectful dabate.:. In your opinion what is the most dangerous exercise when you are training alone and nobody is around? First and foremost I will recognize that every exercise is potentially dangerous to some extent and can cause injury. I not only believe we will see different opinions here but I also expect them. That is why my threads invite diverse discussion. That way I learn from all of you. Heck you might even change my mind.

I will pick the Decline Barbell Bench Press as the most dangerous when done alone because if you can’t push the weight all the way up you can get trapped under the bar at an angle and it can roll down on your throat and can easily either break your neck or crush your throat or choke you to death.

Ok folks your turn now.
I stopped doing decline barbell bench presses over 20 years ago because I heard they provided no benefits over regular bench presses. I do think they are more dangerous than regular bench presses. I assume people do these because they think they hit your pecs differently. Any comments on why people do these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I guess there are two aspects of "danger":

1) Danger of an injury related to the exercise itself - like, blowing out a knee doing deep squats

2) Danger of an injury related to heavy weights and positions - like dropping a bar on one's throat while bench pressing.

I think item (1) is less concerning than (2), at least for me.
I've never heard of anyone blowing out a knee doing squats. I've heard of lots of people blowing out a knee playing basketball, football, soccer, and even volleyball. I do squats to protect my knees.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:50 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It can also lead to some awkward weight room moments. I few months ago I was working out with a woman, a colleague, and we were on the decline. She wasn't as weight room savvy as some, and her spot etiquette was as much a work in progress as her training. So when the bar came back down she stepped forward and squatted down a bit to be able to semi-deadlift the bar off of me. In doing so she dropped her...self right onto my face. It was just a split second but she was avoiding eye contact once we got the weight back up!
You lucky sob

Old 03-18-2020, 07:05 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
chin ups for me. You can get a partial or full shoulder tear even if you do them slowly and correct.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:31 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
chin ups for me. You can get a partial or full shoulder tear even if you do them slowly and correct.

Yes, you can injure yourself; but if things go wrong in a chin-up the chance of death or serious disability is very low.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:40 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
How are dumbbells better for strength training? The straight bar bench works more muscles. You also load a lot more weight with the straight bar.
I chest press 60-65 pound dumbells. There are some in my gym that press 100-110 pound dumbells. More than that you need a cage with safety rails. I could argue that a bad used more muscles. You get better isolation with a bar. With dumbbells you have to control two weights both vertically and laterally working the muscles in multiple directions at once to maintain stability. As far as safety, it's certainly easier to drop dumbbells off to the side.

Any weight can be dangerous. Many people in the gym have crappy form. Some have no clue about just what muscle they are working or normal, safe range of motion. It's a wonder more don't end up with strains and sprains or back injury. Maybe they do because you usually don't see them more than a time of two in the gym.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:33 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I chest press 60-65 pound dumbells. There are some in my gym that press 100-110 pound dumbells. More than that you need a cage with safety rails. I could argue that a bad used more muscles. You get better isolation with a bar. With dumbbells you have to control two weights both vertically and laterally working the muscles in multiple directions at once to maintain stability. As far as safety, it's certainly easier to drop dumbbells off to the side.

Any weight can be dangerous. Many people in the gym have crappy form. Some have no clue about just what muscle they are working or normal, safe range of motion. It's a wonder more don't end up with strains and sprains or back injury. Maybe they do because you usually don't see them more than a time of two in the gym.
I am inclined to think the same way. However I also must say that my very first shoulder injury in 2005 happened when I was doing Seated Dumbell Press and it was painful. I was messed up for a good couple of months. Dumbells can definitely hurt you too. As far as being either safer or more dangerous than barbells I guess we could debate that forever.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:16 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Free climbing.

Doesn't really matter if done with or without someone else though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness