Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 05:42 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I miss the gym already. As well as the workouts it's the friendships. Not sure what I'll be like a month from now.
Same. While I mostly keep to myself at the gym, I do miss the occasional banter with the "bros" in the gym.

Just yesterday I'm starting to feel very down physically and mentally. I may look into buying a bench and some weights just to do *something* because currently all I am doing is walking. After this is over maybe I can re-sell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 09:49 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
My understanding is that my gym has closed. This must have happened within the last few days. I will he kicking butt in my home gym for now..

Old 03-20-2020, 03:58 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Even in places like California that have shelter in place orders, people are allowed to go outside and walk/run as long as they maintain a safe distance.
I was watching a live shot from SF and the people were not practicing social distancing at all.
It was nothing like those beach goofs in FL, though. I saw that and thought "How is that possibly a thing?" Well, now it isn't.

Out here where I'm walking, there is literally no one else.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:47 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
A lot has changed since this thread started. Just about ever gym is closed now. After a short period of denial, I started rummaging through the archives of my mind and remembered how it all began for me. My dad had a bunch of Joe Weider workout manuals. They were bare bones stuff, how to workout with household items like chairs, ladders, stairs, simple barbell/dumbbell if you have them, towel isometrics, etc. Time to get creative until the storm passes!

Old 03-22-2020, 03:38 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
I miss my gym. I’m getting great workouts at home, but I miss the weight machines and being around like-minded folks.

I really miss the rowing machine. I was just starting to get into it, when I stopped going due to the virus. I saw one for $70 at Walmart.com I may buy. Inexpensive, but it got great reviews.

I attended a live virtual body weight class yesterday which was nice. And free. Everyone was able to share their video so you can see everyone working out. The instructor was able to check you out and comment on your form. It was almost like being in a live class. I’m tempted to sign up for Facebook just to access Planet Fitness’s live sessions.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:01 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
In the Dallas/Fort Worth area, all the fitness centers/gyms have temporarily shut down. And for many, like me, apartment complexes have even closed resident only fitness centers.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:23 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,450 times
I spent a few months recovering from a tibia stress fracture and was working out at home simply laying on the floor doing light Pilates corework and sitting down lifting weights (not more than 20 lb dumbells and no weight on legs). I finally got back to the gym and was taking swimming lessons and ramping up exercise slightly only for everything to shut down with our current situation. So it's back to home workouts. I have a stationary bike which helps, and a barbell with plates and some dumbbells and an exercise ball, mat, therabands, etc. I'm still not back to lots of walking yet but no matter it's snowing outside lol, like several fresh inches on the ground. I think this is someone's way of telling me I am not ready to push my body harder yet lol. My leg is still sore anyway.

All fitness centers are closed in Minnesota.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:54 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Ugh this is all so frustrating. My regular gym and the one in my apartment complex are closed. I go on walks, but it's still pretty cold here, so it's not enjoyable. I might start riding my bike next week if it gets warmer... I know I can always work out to YouTube videos in my living room, but I just can't get motivated to exercise in here. How long does everyone think the gyms will remain closed? Mine says until April 1, but I don't know if they will extend that.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Ugh this is all so frustrating. My regular gym and the one in my apartment complex are closed. I go on walks, but it's still pretty cold here, so it's not enjoyable. I might start riding my bike next week if it gets warmer... I know I can always work out to YouTube videos in my living room, but I just can't get motivated to exercise in here. How long does everyone think the gyms will remain closed? Mine says until April 1, but I don't know if they will extend that.
Shelter in place is until April 7, so it will be closed until at least then. I am walking daily as long as it is acceptable weather (I.e. not raining or snowing or with unbearable wind). I can only do so many YouTube/online videos. My gym is adding free classes online now and I signed up for a free trial of another service for 60 days that I can do in addition to some other free YouTube workouts. Hopefully this won’t last for more than 60 days, but we will see. At least I will have the free gym options.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:07 PM

853 posts, read 647,636 times
Hi,

I don't want to bother with another thread so I'll go quickly. I live in Spain and because of the coronavirus outbreak we are not allowed to go out, we are forced to stay at home. I live in a small apartment. After a week lock down at home, I look unhealthy, I'm tired and I always want to go sleep at 20.00h which is not acceptable having 34 years old. I feel tired all the time and sleepy. Do you have any advice to make an easy routine or something at home to feel better?

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness