Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 05:25 AM

524 posts, read 361,725 times

Advertisements

I am in search of a home rowing machine for use in my basement. I searched online "best home rowing machines" and got many returns. BUT, here is the catch...A vast majority of them have a weight capacity of only up to 250 pounds. I am on a "middle of the row" budget so the high end rowers for $1500 are not an option. I know there are a few that just offer minimal "features" on them, but would like a few bells and whistles. The NordicTrack RW500 Rower is nice but only accommodates 250 pounds (Im 300). I guess I'm wondering, (not that the company would ever commit to it) If theses machines would accommodate someone heavier than 250. There are a couple other machines that do, but do not offer any "workout routines and minimal features. (folding, quiet etc.) Looking for any thoughts or ideas….and if anyone thinks that It would be ok with a machine that is rated for 250 pounds.....I know most products are engineered to withstand more than stated.....just to be safe for the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 06:58 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebird98 View Post
I am in search of a home rowing machine for use in my basement. I searched online "best home rowing machines" and got many returns. BUT, here is the catch...A vast majority of them have a weight capacity of only up to 250 pounds. I am on a "middle of the row" budget so the high end rowers for $1500 are not an option. I know there are a few that just offer minimal "features" on them, but would like a few bells and whistles. The NordicTrack RW500 Rower is nice but only accommodates 250 pounds (Im 300). I guess I'm wondering, (not that the company would ever commit to it) If theses machines would accommodate someone heavier than 250. There are a couple other machines that do, but do not offer any "workout routines and minimal features. (folding, quiet etc.) Looking for any thoughts or ideas….and if anyone thinks that It would be ok with a machine that is rated for 250 pounds.....I know most products are engineered to withstand more than stated.....just to be safe for the company.
why not buy it now, they could use the business, set 250 as a target.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:02 AM

Id like to buy it now....concerned it wont support me till I reach that weight?

Old 04-12-2020, 12:09 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebird98 View Post
Problem is, you are asking for more than "modest" features; bells and whistles, workout routines, low noise (which implies sturdier build, better design), and the extra weight capacity. All those things increase the cost of the machine. Which means you have to pay for it unless you find a used one. But you don't want to pay for it. FWIW, what's most important? The weight capacity. Forget bells and whistles; they are desirable but you can design a workout yourself without them. Noise is a minor annoyance unless the machine is noisy because it isn't working properly.

What about talking with some local gyms to see if they have suggestions? They may know of heavier duty models designed for gym settings that might work and possibly where to find a used one. I've used rowing machines at gyms and owned several over the years. Paying more for a good one that will stand up to heavy use is almost always worth it, not because of the bells and whistles but because they are efficient, have higher resistance capacities, and comfortable to spend a lot of time on. Which means you will.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-12-2020 at 12:21 PM..

Old 04-12-2020, 04:38 PM

119 posts, read 207,541 times
gamebird98,Concept2.https://www.concept2.com/,I had and used one years ago,great machine.500 lbs.capacity.Good luck.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:52 PM

87 posts, read 122,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE COLLAR View Post
gamebird98,Concept2.https://www.concept2.com/,I had and used one years ago,great machine.500 lbs.capacity.Good luck.
Agree, Concept2 is good, especially for the price. We purchased the Concept2 Model D Indoor Rower in mid-December 2019 for our home gym. My spouse and I each use it a minimum of 3x/week. Many weeks it is more than that, as we like to maintain our fitness level.

We chose Concept2 because it was the same brand rower that was used in the commercial gym where I worked out and trained for 14 years (before we relocated and bought our current home).

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-e

Old 04-14-2020, 11:51 PM

49 posts, read 35,437 times
You can try XTERRA Fitness or Merax WaterRower they have a weight capacity of more than 300 lbs.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:08 AM

Thank You, I will look them up.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertina Geller View Post
You can try XTERRA Fitness or Merax WaterRower they have a weight capacity of more than 300 lbs.
WOW....I like the XTERRA, but everyone is sold out. Must be a good choice.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:36 AM

35 posts, read 22,975 times
Buy a concept 2 and be done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness