Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 10:09 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,238,437 times

Advertisements

Will the staff of the gyms keep up with sanitizing? I wouldn't leave that to those who go. I think higher risk of getting in a gym, so I would only feel comfortable if there was a solid cleaning regimen by the gyms staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 10:16 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,971,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
In our gym the wipers vary. I have seen many wipe down the upholstery, the handgrips, and the pins . The worker I mentioned is often on her hands and knees wiping everything I mentioned plus the frames. So your assumptions about how things are clean are incorrect

Again rep ratio? You truly are a little man looking for validation. I’ve never seen anyone bring this up to validate themselves. I should have known you would go back and try to calculate mine just hoping yours was higher.

Nope, you lose.

Yours is still worse than mine and the fact that you think yours is special because you’re opinionated is hilarious. Nearly every other poster here is opinionated. While you think my posts are plain and vanilla, consider yours are just longer with very little substance. Anyone can type a lot of words about nothing.
But please, keep patting yourself on the back about how great you are.

You can keep your stance about not cleaning off equipment and look down at those who do and have courtesy to others, but the majority of people aren’t jerks like you.
Again , you think you know how well everyone cleans off machines, fact is you don’t. How would you, you’re so busy blasting through your workout how would you know? You e already said it’s all beneath you.

Btw, you should post your rep ratio on your real estate site with the one single listing. Maybe people will ooh and ah over you there.
Now you are just lying. You have never seen gym patrons wiping down pins and adjustment mechanisms. Never. If you’re just going to pull you know what out of your you know what, then we can’t discuss things intelligently. And again, don’t be innumerate. A 1.36 rep-to-post is basically the same as a 1.33. Plus, my posts read-to-post ratio is 919, while yours is a much lower 704. That’s a pretty big difference. Interesting posts get read more than boring and less well-written vanilla posts. Less prevarication will also help your read ratio. So get to work on that.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:12 PM

22,181 posts, read 29,152,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Now you are just lying. You have never seen gym patrons wiping down pins and adjustment mechanisms. Never. If you’re just going to pull you know what out of your you know what, then we can’t discuss things intelligently. And again, don’t be innumerate. A 1.36 rep-to-post is basically the same as a 1.33. Plus, my posts read-to-post ratio is 919, while yours is a much lower 704. That’s a pretty big difference. Interesting posts get read more than boring and less well-written vanilla posts. Less prevarication will also help your read ratio. So get to work on that.
Stop with the rep to ratio bullshyt. You clearly have the short man syndrome. You are embarrassing yourself as a person and as a man

Old 05-02-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Stop with the rep to ratio bullshyt. You clearly have the short man syndrome. You are embarrassing yourself as a person and as a man
Yours is only 1.13. You’re not even in our league. BTW I am 6 feet.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:53 PM

9,273 posts, read 8,174,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Will the staff of the gyms keep up with sanitizing? I wouldn't leave that to those who go. I think higher risk of getting in a gym, so I would only feel comfortable if there was a solid cleaning regimen by the gyms staff.
In no way would I trust anyone to thoroughly clean anything but myself.

And someone mentioned showers......yeah, no. I wouldn't have showered in a public gym pre-pandemic. Just gross all around.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:25 AM

610 posts, read 261,144 times
I think the best way to address gyms is to have each individual business submit their reopening plan for approval. "Gyms" is being used broadly in this sense when there are really many different sectors. Class-based places (yoga studios, pilates studios, CrossFit boxes) will have a much easier time enforcing social distancing and sanitation as opposed to a traditional gym where people do their own thing.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:47 AM

29,421 posts, read 22,317,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
In no way would I trust anyone to thoroughly clean anything but myself.

And someone mentioned showers......yeah, no. I wouldn't have showered in a public gym pre-pandemic. Just gross all around.

On the first point, totally agree. It's not about staff maintaining a solid cleaning regimen, but you yourself ensuring that you wipe down the equipment before and after use.

I mean, think about a busy gym. Is there going to be a staff member that goes around wiping down every piece of equipment after it's used? Of course not, there's just no way to keep an equipment clean considering how many people use it over and over during the course of a gym day/night.

The gym I go to has sanitizing wipe dispensers so I use that to wipe down equipment before and after I use it. Never rely on others.

As for the second point I tend not to use showers in gym either but the ones I go to have individual shower rooms so it's not so bad. Plus I do have slippers I use in the shower stall to keep my feet off the floor.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:25 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,234,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The gym I go to has sanitizing wipe dispensers so I use that to wipe down equipment before and after I use it. Never rely on others.
That's my feeling. Employees were always running around cleaning equipment at Planet Fitness but when I go back, I'll clean it as if no one has done so all day. If I get COVID-19, from the equipment, I'm the one who has to deal with the consequences of inadequate cleaning.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:15 PM

9,273 posts, read 8,174,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As for the second point I tend not to use showers in gym either but the ones I go to have individual shower rooms so it's not so bad. Plus I do have slippers I use in the shower stall to keep my feet off the floor.
Not sure that helps me feel better about public showers, haha. Whatever you're stepping in, you're bringing that bacteria onto your slippers and re-using them repeatedly. You just know a half dozen dudes have urinated in there before you.

Anyway I digress..........

I can tell you right now that people aren't going to adhere to any rules the gyms enact, including mandatory wiping down of machines. I just got back from the grocery store and maybe 30% of the people were wearing masks, that's it. Lots of small children running around touching things with their bare hands, unmasked. People walking inches from me.

If you really want to be careful about it you're going to have to do it yourself, can't rely on the general public to care about your health. Because generally, most people are slobs and simply don't care.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Not sure that helps me feel better about public showers, haha. Whatever you're stepping in, you're bringing that bacteria onto your slippers and re-using them repeatedly. You just know a half dozen dudes have urinated in there before you.

Anyway I digress..........

I can tell you right now that people aren't going to adhere to any rules the gyms enact, including mandatory wiping down of machines. I just got back from the grocery store and maybe 30% of the people were wearing masks, that's it. Lots of small children running around touching things with their bare hands, unmasked. People walking inches from me.

If you really want to be careful about it you're going to have to do it yourself, can't rely on the general public to care about your health. Because generally, most people are slobs and simply don't care.
Exactly. I am not wiping down machines in any gym. It’s just not my job and it’s not necessary or effective. You can get Covid-19 on your hands and it’s fine as long as you don’t touch your face and wash your hands as soon as your workout is finished.

If everyone is doing that, Covid can be on all the machines and I don’t care. Of course, that doesn’t address breathing and talking. If you are wiping down the machines but breathing in gym air, you have no protection and all the wiping in the world won’t accomplish a thing. Gyms equal germs, and most of the problem is in the air.

So either bring your own oxygen, or please just stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness