Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 08:57 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

I'm really not sure how limiting the numbers of people at one time is going to be enforced. They could perhaps have a sign up sheet and lock the doors with a sign saying max number of people present.

But knowing how popular some of these gyms like 24 Hour Fitness are and how people in general today are more than inconsiderate and self centered, I don't see how they'll be able to manage all the angry customers. At this point why even bother and cause even more anger and hostility being taken out on gym staff that tells people waiting outside to come back later? If I were a gym owner or manager I'd keep it closed and just suspend the monthly dues payment for all members for duration of close out.

None of this social distancing nonsense you know will not be followed by gym members. At all. None of this people having to wait for hours because of that one Joe who wants to lift weights for an hour, hit the sauna for another, then shower for 30 minutes, THEN leave the gym. And Joe getting hella mad because a staff member dared to tell him his time limit is up, followed by roid rage grabbing of dumbbells and smashing it into the mirror. To hell with all that drama, people.

Hey I know it sucks but I as well as many other gym rats have adapted and made do with what we could scrounge at home.

Just. Keep. It. Closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 09:26 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,591 times
How can they monitor social distancing when everyone in there would be going from machine to machine to machine?

Old 04-17-2020, 09:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
In the room at the Y where they have classes it would be pretty easy.
It's a pretty big room, so simply limit the capacity.

Get rid of the dumbells, mats and tubes, bring your own if you want.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:47 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPittsburgh View Post
Really don’t think gyms should be open phase 1. Most gyms are disgusting even without the corona going on. What are they gonna do let 10 people in at a time? I don’t think this is a smart idea.
Gym reopen in phase 2; that's when gatherings are limited to 50 people, not 10. And physical distancing rules get more relaxed, so you don't have to stand on separate sides of the room just to get a workout in.

Phase 1 is about certain nonessential businesses (like barber shops and clothing stores), restaurants, and private gatherings of less than 10 people. Gyms, movie theaters, and bars aren't a part of it.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 04-17-2020 at 11:20 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 12:25 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
How can they monitor social distancing when everyone in there would be going from machine to machine to machine?
Certain areas of the gym have much more concentrations of people. Our free weight area is the most crowded.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:13 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Since I was planning to sell my house and move in 2020 I was considering selling all my home gym stuff in 2019 (also because I hadn't used it for a few years, I joined a gym because they had the nice pulley equipment I needed after back surgery, plus a walking track). I even let a couple of people know, but didn't get any bites, now I'm happy I didn't. I've got about 350 lbs. of Olympic weights, a squat rack, bench, and maybe 350 lbs. of dumbbells. I sure do wish I had a treadmill, though, maybe I'll get one with the next house and just drop the gym membership altogether, the gym is the last place I intend to go unless they get an effective treatment and vaccine.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:02 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm glad to see it come back. I live in a city of 29,000 with one confirmed case. About 45 in the county of ~160,000. With that said, my Y is $55/month, has been closed since before St. Patty's Day, and took dues out in April for a closed gym.

They did some renovations. I'll give them one more month, but it really ticks me off how they took dues out as normal for a legally closed facility.
I'd like to hope they're still paying their employees. If not, I'd be ticked off. Planet Fitness stopped its monthly fee last month. It's so inexpensive ($10/month for the regular membership), I would have preferred to pay it and support the employees.

Pretty horrifying to read others' stories about grubby, smelly gyms. I've never encountered that at any PF I"ve visited and I think I'm up to 10 now.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:55 AM

1,361 posts, read 552,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPittsburgh View Post
Really don’t think gyms should be open phase 1. Most gyms are disgusting even without the corona going on. What are they gonna do let 10 people in at a time? I don’t think this is a smart idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I was shocked gyms were on the Phase 1 list. They’re dirty, sweaty, gross, germ infested places on a good day. Waking into mine after 3 pm and the odor is just unbelievable. Even before the virus I was always horrified at the girls who workout in crop tops- hello people have dripped sweat and who knows what else on those benches and mats and now you’re laying on it with your BARE SKIN??? Ewwwwwww.

I missed the gym the first week but I bought some weights and found a fitness program I’ve come to look forward to every day. I think I’ll pass on returning to the gym for a few more weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I really have no idea how they are going to enforce social distancing either. As we have seen and personally experienced lately, many many people don't practice social distancing at all. And gyms tend to attract some of the most inconsiderate people around with disgusting habits. Lots of bodily fluids floating around and on the equipment, saliva, mucous, bacteria, etc.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I want to thank you all for reminding me why I bought my FS9i elliptical last year and workout at home.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:11 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm really not sure how limiting the numbers of people at one time is going to be enforced. They could perhaps have a sign up sheet and lock the doors with a sign saying max number of people present.

But knowing how popular some of these gyms like 24 Hour Fitness are and how people in general today are more than inconsiderate and self centered, I don't see how they'll be able to manage all the angry customers. At this point why even bother and cause even more anger and hostility being taken out on gym staff that tells people waiting outside to come back later? If I were a gym owner or manager I'd keep it closed and just suspend the monthly dues payment for all members for duration of close out.

None of this social distancing nonsense you know will not be followed by gym members. At all. None of this people having to wait for hours because of that one Joe who wants to lift weights for an hour, hit the sauna for another, then shower for 30 minutes, THEN leave the gym. And Joe getting hella mad because a staff member dared to tell him his time limit is up, followed by roid rage grabbing of dumbbells and smashing it into the mirror. To hell with all that drama, people.

Hey I know it sucks but I as well as many other gym rats have adapted and made do with what we could scrounge at home.

Just. Keep. It. Closed.
I do not think gyms should be allowed to re-open in Phase One.

I am a member of a smaller independent gym. If you were inside it, it feels much like a 24 Hour Fitness would feel. There is a real squat rack, members can grunt and drop weights, and there's no lunk alarm, so it is not like Planet Fitness.

I have no idea how my gym would be able to accomplish six feet of physical distancing at all times. There are some slow periods where it could be accomplished. I do not foresee a way in which physical distancing could apply between 5 PM-7:30 PM Monday-Thursday peak times.

How about fitness classes? I'm sure I've been less than six feet away from the next person in class.

I would prefer gyms not re-open until the physical distancing thing ends.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:13 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I read about a super spreader event at a choir practice. It was theorized the extra effort from singing spread the virus. Not sure if ill be going to the gym. the wife is a diabetic with chronic kidney disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness