Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 02:38 PM

332 posts, read 174,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'm not sure that would work well here since the months of May through November are so brutally hot I can't imagine workout out in the heat, even if it was shaded.

There is a local gym in the St Augustine area that is a warehouse type facility with open doors that I may check out this weekend. No idea if or how they keep the place cool.
Yes just saying it could be temporary but moving everything and protecting it would be hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 01:20 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
My big fear about returning to gyms, is that they will have been rendered toxic.

My experience with people who make decisions in those places, is that to call them "not very bright" would be grossly overestimating their intelligence. And, thanks to Dunning-Kruger Effect, these individuals are not open to input from others

(My impression is that they don't even know what physicians, scientists, developers, and architects are: so how could those people know anything? How could an architect, who's merely a gym member, be telling the omniscient Gym Manager that the showers' grout is totally gone and needs replacing? Whut IS that so-called "grout", anyway? "Oh, and did you hear that ol' Gloria VanSnootenhorn woman? She says the ceiling tiles are collapsing, and the ducts are dripping, because some 'exhaust fan', somewhere up there, isn't running, and the water is 'CONDENSATION'...or sumthin'. But I know it's a roof leak: we just ain't found it yet. Just 'cause she owns a few office parks, she thinks that makes her an expert or somethin'. I have other priorities, besides replacing 'exhaust fans' I can't see, and blown compressors on water fountains. That ol' lady thinks the 'busted compressors' run 24/7/365, and are wasting electricity. Not HER electricity. Dunno why SHE cares...")

These are not people capable of evaluating the safety of the chemicals in the spray bottles. They are not capable of evaluating the safety of whatever chemical agents will be "sanitizing the air". And you can bet, that gyms will be full of machines spraying toxins into the air, "for your safety".

I don't go to health clubs, to have my health wrecked.

And I do not believe that knocking-out my immune system with chemicals, is the way to protect me from a virus which is harmless to those with functioning immune systems.
Our problem is that the only Silver Sneakers facility in our area is in a Senior Living/Nursing Home complex that is now closed to all visitors.

So we are walking and using Thera-Band at home

Old 05-16-2020, 10:12 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Just got an email that LA fitness is opening 5/22 . I just spent 1200 putting a home gym together. Oh well, I suspect it’s possible things may shut down again so it’s good to have.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:33 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,658,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Just got an email that LA fitness is opening 5/22 . I just spent 1200 putting a home gym together. Oh well, I suspect it’s possible things may shut down again so it’s good to have.

Really? That is where I go...seems pretty early to open up...yeah, may shut down again?

Old 05-17-2020, 05:22 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Those S.Koreans are diligently at the gym working out to help us understand during covid19 workouts!

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/8/20-0633_article

Old 05-17-2020, 05:45 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
I've been a Lifetime Fitness member for over 10 years. It's the first and only gym I have joined. Never thought I would become a gym rat in my fifties and now sixties and especially not take group fitness classes, but never say never. I grew to love it and would go daily for a variety of classes and the amenities.

But no way will I be returning any time soon. It's just too risky. And it would be less enjoyable in so many regards---being worried about exposure, not being able to use the sauna or hot tub or showers, possibly not being able to snag a spot in the classes now with the limited reservation system. I'm 66 and my husband is the same age---and has terminal cancer, so it's a risk we won't be taking for the foreseeable future. I still get plenty of exercise at home with YouTube videos. As an introvert I don't miss some aspects of live classes, like pushy rude people standing or setting up yoga mats too close in classes (not appreciated even pre-CoVid) or dealing with loud music.

But now after seeing this interview with the founder/CEO of Lifetime, I seriously am thinking about quitting. I get it. He has a business to run (and it seemed like less people were joining Lifetime as younger people flock to CrossFit and boutique kickboxing, yoga, pilates, and cycling studios. He was appointed to the White House committee on reopening America, so I understand why he has the perspective he does. But what he was saying is shocking---that it's up to people to develop their immunity to the virus by getting sunshine and some exercise (preferably of course at Lifetime). He says the virus can be easily cured by several hundred dollars of drugs. He says that the virus isn't as lethal as reported because the stats are skewed since there are cases that are unreported and unsymptomatic. And it's very clear that he has no real plans for ensuring anyone's safety, other than "we will do everything possible and keep the gym clean."

Spooky Life Time Fitness CEO talks of 'cure' (?) for coronavirus [VIDEO] | City Pages

Old 05-17-2020, 05:55 PM

332 posts, read 174,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I've been a Lifetime Fitness member for over 10 years. It's the first and only gym I have joined. Never thought I would become a gym rat in my fifties and now sixties and especially not take group fitness classes, but never say never. I grew to love it and would go daily for a variety of classes and the amenities.

But no way will I be returning any time soon. It's just too risky. And it would be less enjoyable in so many regards---being worried about exposure, not being able to use the sauna or hot tub or showers, possibly not being able to snag a spot in the classes now with the limited reservation system. I'm 66 and my husband is the same age---and has terminal cancer, so it's a risk we won't be taking for the foreseeable future. I still get plenty of exercise at home with YouTube videos. As an introvert I don't miss some aspects of live classes, like pushy rude people standing or setting up yoga mats too close in classes (not appreciated even pre-CoVid) or dealing with loud music.

But now after seeing this interview with the founder/CEO of Lifetime, I seriously am thinking about quitting. I get it. He has a business to run (and it seemed like less people were joining Lifetime as younger people flock to CrossFit and boutique kickboxing, yoga, pilates, and cycling studios. He was appointed to the White House committee on reopening America, so I understand why he has the perspective he does. But what he was saying is shocking---that it's up to people to develop their immunity to the virus by getting sunshine and some exercise (preferably of course at Lifetime). He says the virus can be easily cured by several hundred dollars of drugs. He says that the virus isn't as lethal as reported because the stats are skewed since there are cases that are unreported and unsymptomatic. And it's very clear that he has no real plans for ensuring anyone's safety, other than "we will do everything possible and keep the gym clean."

Spooky Life Time Fitness CEO talks of 'cure' (?) for coronavirus [VIDEO] | City Pages
do what you are comfortable with. I am not comfortable either. No way anyone can ensure anyone's safety.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:20 AM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
So being restless, I went to an open gym on Saturday that has apparently skirted the Governor's order to shut down due to the way it was set up (warehouse setting with open air/doors). This was my first trip to any gym since the first week of March. This gym's website talked about upping their sanitation game and monitoring the facility to ensure social distancing. My observations were the following:

1) No one at the front desk, I had to walk around to find someone to buy a day pass. This guy in no way was watching anyone in the gym for social distancing. There were people working out very closely and even together in a small crossfit class. Also their cardio machines were on and people were right next to one another there.

2) Their "sanitation" consisted of spray bottles with dirty dish towels hanging through the facility. I actually felt like touching that spray bottle and rag spread more germs than not wiping anything down, but I did it anyway.

3) One thing I hadn't thought of it wiping down the weight plates. I was loading up plates for my deadlift and realized there was probably no way someone had wiped down the actual plates themselves. That's another consideration when cleaning an area, to clean the actual weights.

4) I brought my own small bottle of hand sanitizer but honestly after touching and re-touching the bottle again and again I felt like that had been contaminated after a period of time. Not sure that's a really effective way to keep your hands clean.

Overall, it felt absolutely amazing physically and mentally to workout again. It was like a near-instant positive physical and emotional reaction to lifting. Couldn't believe the difference in mood from Friday (no gym) to Saturday (gym). It really was great to get back to moving like that again.

I will say, the gym is a very different experience now. Sadly, you're constantly analyzing and over-analyzing everything now to think about germs/viruses/etc. You look people up and down thinking "I wonder if this guy has COVID?" and I found myself walking way around certain areas to get from point A to point B to avoid walking next to people. Touching everything makes you think about who has touched that previously and if they've sanitized it. Very different world we're in now, especially at the gym.

FYI - I'll be going back today.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:52 AM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Went to another gym today. This time to a larger, corporate owned Powerhouse Gym that I was a member of for many years. More or less the same observations:

1) Nobody was social distancing. They didn't even close off any of the cardio machines or space out any of the benches or equipment at all. Twice I had someone sidle up right next to me to workout. In fact, other than a few additional sanitizing stations, I didn't see a single change from this place from pre-COVID days. Only 2 of the 30+ people inside were wearing masks, but I didn't expect many folks to be doing that. But tons of older gentleman sans masks.

2) The cleaning thing is going to be a real challenge. I found myself just casually touching things to stretch and then realized - oh crap, I need to now clean that. I bet most people aren't going to be doing that.

3) Dumbbells - I saw many people not cleaning them down after use. They adjust benches and don't clean the handle where you adjust it. Same with the key lockers, remember whatever you touch now should be cleaned/sanitized and I guarantee people weren't cleaning those.

So this is going to be a bigger challenge than I had initially thought. I brought sanitizer with me and just cleaned my hands after every single exercise of 4 sets. Was careful not to touch my face or even touch my headphones. Upon leaving I washed my hands thoroughly, took my shirt off before getting in the car and then used more hand sanitizer before I touched anything inside my car.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:01 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I'd say not even stress out over doing anything more than wiping things down if you want.

Social distancing, all of that stuff is not going to work in a gym, so why even bother.

We all take chances in life as soon as we step out the door (and for many, even when we first wake up and get up out of bed).

A gym is a gym, not a supermarket or other such places. My gyms aren't opening but I've been having good workouts at home so I'm not even caring now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness