Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 10:55 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytodd View Post
That reminds me. I really need a good bar but impossible to find now. My bar weighs about 32 pounds and I wonder if this puts more pressure on joints. I originally bought this bar years ago from a guy who was selling things cheap. I never even realized it was below 45 pounds. I wish I could sell this bar and get a new one but nothing is available. But even if this bar is not good, it is certainly better than nothing. I doubt most commercial gyms even have the best bars as they buy so much stuff that quality cannot be top notch. But most people do not need the highest rated bars either. I am currently looking for a trap bar with only 1 enclosed side as they are easier for my kids to use and also helps maintain good form. I also like to use the trap bar and feel I am getting better results from squats plus the trap bar at home than I did from squats plus leg press at the gym.
I think even the cheap bars will be fine at 300 lbs unless you get one of those form bars which are rated for much less. I think I weighed several bars and many were about 44 lbs. most bars bend from people squatting 500 or more.
When I bought those plates there were at least 8 Olympic bars she had for 100 each I wish I had the cash on me to buy a few.
Have you thought of having a fabricator build you a trap bar?
Have you seen this?

https://www.titan.fitness/strongman/...oCvXwQAvD_BwE#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 11:08 PM

332 posts, read 173,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think even the cheap bars will be fine at 300 lbs unless you get one of those form bars which are rated for much less. I think I weighed several bars and many were about 44 lbs. most bars bend from people squatting 500 or more.
When I bought those plates there were at least 8 Olympic bars she had for 100 each I wish I had the cash on me to buy a few.
Have you thought of having a fabricator build you a trap bar?
Have you seen this?

https://www.titan.fitness/strongman/...oCvXwQAvD_BwE#
Thanks this looks pretty good and at a good price. I do not want to get too complicated with a fabricator as inventory will eventually become available. I currently am using a jr. 25 lb. hex bar that I got years ago for my kids but they are not happy as the handles are rough. It is much easier to teach than proper squat or deadlift form. An open bar like you sent is much more functional.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:11 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,483 times
I don’t think I’ll go back to the gym. I bought my own dumbbell sets for weights and I can do other exercises with a simple mat. I can run for cardio. I don’t think gyms in my place will open for a while.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,498 times
I've been looking for 60# dumbbells for the last 2 weeks now, managed to find 55# that will arrive in mid/late June this morning. I think that's going to complete my at home set up for now.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I've been looking for 60# dumbbells for the last 2 weeks now, managed to find 55# that will arrive in mid/late June this morning. I think that's going to complete my at home set up for now.
You are using 60lb dumbells? That's pretty good. None of the women in my gym with the exception of a pro bodybuilder and one other girl that trains regularly are capable of that weight, but I don't see them using it.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:10 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
I don't think I will go back to the gym. It takes too much time preparing to go, drive there (15 min away), working out driving home, when I can exercise at home. I had recently bought a tread mill before the gym closed as my membership had ended and they had raised prices. What I really want is a bicycle and do you think I can find one to buy? No way. They are out of stock every place I have checked. I guess everyone is riding bikes, crocheting with yarn and Popping popcorn as I can't find yarn or a popcorn popper either.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:44 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You are using 60lb dumbells? That's pretty good. None of the women in my gym with the exception of a pro bodybuilder and one other girl that trains regularly are capable of that weight, but I don't see them using it.
Not up to using them yet but since it's been a few years since I lifted, I'm benefiting from newbie gains all over again. In my CF days, my squat PR was 225 and my deadlift PR was 273. Obviously not going to get near those numbers at home with dumbbells, but a pair of 60s is only 120# lift. Within a few weeks that shouldn't be an issue. I still prefer a barbell to dumbbells, but I don't have room in my apartment for a rack, so this will have to do.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
For those of you exercising outdoors in urban areas, I can't stress enough how important it is to check air quality.
"An estimated 4.2 million premature deaths globally are linked to ambient air pollution, mainly from heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer, and acute respiratory infections in children."
https://www.who.int/airpollution/amb...th-impacts/en/

Just saw a woman from my still closed fitness center jogging by, during an ozone alert; breathing much faster than normal of course.
Pretty sure residents in such places as Beijing started wearing masks long before Covid due to this risk.

And Lizfromthe Bronx, that's an amazing amount of squat weight for a woman.
Most men in my old gyms didn't squat at all, let alone 4 plates.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:36 PM

332 posts, read 173,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Just got 40#s today. Waiting on 75'#s for 3 weeks since I ordered. Still need to find a good barbell but the one I have is functional.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
For those of you exercising outdoors in urban areas, I can't stress enough how important it is to check air quality.
"An estimated 4.2 million premature deaths globally are linked to ambient air pollution, mainly from heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer, and acute respiratory infections in children."
https://www.who.int/airpollution/amb...th-impacts/en/

Just saw a woman from my still closed fitness center jogging by, during an ozone alert; breathing much faster than normal of course.
Pretty sure residents in such places as Beijing started wearing masks long before Covid due to this risk.

And Lizfromthe Bronx, that's an amazing amount of squat weight for a woman.
Most men in my old gyms didn't squat at all, let alone 4 plates.
I remember many years ago a woman asked me to spot her on her squats. We had seen each other in the gym for years but never talked. She had 225lb and I really didn't think she needed a spotter. Sure enough she bangs out 15 reps all the way down. I think she just wanted an audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness